What's new

Technique

All good tips. My neck got a lot better when I realized the growth changed direction two thirds of the way down..

I suggest two passes - WTG then XTG for the first few shaves at least. And remember VERY light pressure (just enough to keep the blade in contact with your skin without skipping). If no problems then go for a third pass or go WTG and ATG if you aren't having issues with nicks or rash. Once you get your technique down you'll find it very easy and enjoy a great shave every time.

TIP: Listen to the blade as you go. You should HEAR the whiskers popping as it cuts. It sort of sounds like when you butter your toast in the morning - that scraping sound. When you hear that then you know your angle is correct. If it's quiet then you know it's not cutting whiskers because the angle is incorrect. Keep your shave environment quiet so you can hear it (no running water, radio or exhaust fan noises).

Started de about one month ago.
Still getting irritation on neck. But what puzzles me is that skin after about 1/2 hrs feels slightly "raw".
Ej 89, proraso pre, cream, razor plass synthetic, thayers alchol free, prosaro balm. Wilkinson germany blade.
Any thoughts appreciated.

Too much pressure is the likely cause. Leave the lather on for a couple of minutes and don't use pressure.

Thanks fellas really appreciate the feedback. To get the angle right ive been holding the razor perpendicular to the floor and slowly lowering till i hear it cutting. Ive seen pictures of that on this site. Geofatboy suggests starting with the safety bar against your face and tilting the razor upwards which I find to be a steeper angle. Im only doing two passes one with, and the other across the grain. BBS not interested at this point. I will probably go get some other blades to try , and keep using the same setup. Thanks
Welcome

Geofatboy suggests starting with the safety bar against your face and tilting the razor upwards which I find to be a steeper angle.

I think Geofatboy must have leather for skin - all his videos seem to show him using a crazy angle. I would be permanently scarred if I shaved like that. I go cap against face, then down until I hear the "toast" sound, then ride the cap - not the bar.

I think Geofatboy must have leather for skin - all his videos seem to show him using a crazy angle. I would be permanently scarred if I shaved like that. I go cap against face, then down until I hear the "toast" sound, then ride the cap - not the bar.
A

I also agree technique and i would recomend gillette silver blues. Most people find them to be a great blade. It really does matter. Alot of blades tear my face up.

Top Bottom