What's new

Technique with the Vision

I really like my Vision and am getting better with it all the time. However, I'd reached a bit of a plateau during which I could not get a slightly better shave each day, and in fact had sometimes slid back a bit. While I could blame my choice or cream or blade, I suspected that it was truly my lack of technique.

While my first 2 passes (N/S, E/W;W/E) were often productive, I dreaded the 3rd (against the grain) pass, especially when I got to the standard trouble spots, i.e., chin, lips.

Then this morning I stumble upon an idea--I turned down the adjustment on the Vision to its least aggressive setting and tried a few tentative strokes, very slowly and lightly. To my surprise I heard the blissful scritching sound of hair being cleared, and, with my eyes closed, picked up the speed. Now, to my delight, I felt no pulling and sensed that I was doing my first true "blade buff." Shockingly, I could even buff my chin and upper lip, areas I had almost decided were unshavable recently.

While I am feeling a small case of razor burn coming on, I'm sure its due to my delight with my newly found "toy," and believe that I'm on to something here.

So, what gives? Have I simply "found" a time honored technique, and my sense of discovery makes all of you experienced veterans chuckle silently as you read this post?

Thanks in advance.

Mitch

Mitch, congratulations on your successful shave. I am a believer that all of us have different techniques that work best for us. I think you just found yours.

That is the way I shave with all my adjustables: wide open on with- and across-grain passes, then dialed down for against the grain,

Scotto and Jerry,

Well, why didn't you tell me this 2 months ago!

You could have saved me 60 days of experimenting with various blades, creams, after shaves, etc., playing around with the new scents and enjoying the sensuous experiences, and. . .

uh. . .well. . .

um. . .

OK, I guess I'm glad that I found it out on my own, right?!?:redface:

Mitch:

I meant to tell you but....... well, I just forgot!:rolleyes: Anyway, you worked it out and now you'll really have an appreciation for those BBS shaves that are now within reach! Think of the experience you've gained!! You are now the wise one and can provide counsel to all the other newbies as they ultimately purchase their Vision!

mrob said:
Scotto and Jerry,

You could have saved me 60 days of experimenting with various blades, creams, after shaves, etc., playing around with the new scents and enjoying the sensuous experiences, and. . .

uh. . .well. . .

um. . .

Tell you? TELL YOU? Now why the hell would we go and do that - and ruin all your fun! Now you've "made your bones." :shaving:

Mitch,

Congrats on your findings. Every man's technique/method for reaching perfection in shaving is, at the least, a little bit different. The little breakthroughs discovered along the way really leave you with a great feeling of satisfaction... the pleasure of a job well done and whatnot.

mrob said:
Scotto and Jerry,

uh. . .well. . .

um. . .

You've now become one with the Vision. We wouldn't have wanted to deny you that. :biggrin:

I'll have to try dialing down my vision for my final against the grain pass. I usually open it a bit or keep it the same setting for the final pass. Definitely worth a try.

Top Bottom