What's new

Technique Help: Blade Speed

Is there a certain razor speed that works better?

Mantic's videos show short, but pretty quick (IMO) strokes. Will a slower stroke cut poorly?

The short, quick strokes are what is sometimes called a blade buff. It helps to get the hairs standing up when the blade gets to them. It may also cut a little bit better. I wouldn't recommend speeding up your strokes until you can shave slowly with no irritation.

I've come to the conclusion that strokes that feel natural to your face and hair should be your best bet. For example, I prefer short strokes that slightly overlap. I tried a few times to take long gliding strokes, and it seemed to me that I cut at a very poor angle this way. You also don't hear the hairs being cut when you shave this way. Keep it simple and find the good blade angle (differs from razor to razor slightly) and then to maintain it lock your wrist when shaving. Hope this helps!

i would recommend slower over a faster stroke when your learning, sounds good as well!

it also allows a better control over blade angle etc

remember it's beard reduction not elimination so you'll be doing at least 2 passes.

i can't shave the way/speed i would with a cartridge/disposable even using long strokes

just starting out also, btu I find that long strokes its hard to keep the angle consistent because your face will change over that stroke more so than on a small area of your face.

So keep it short and simple.

i've come to the conclusion that strokes that feel natural to your face and hair should be your best bet. For example, i prefer short strokes that slightly overlap. I tried a few times to take long gliding strokes, and it seemed to me that i cut at a very poor angle this way. You also don't hear the hairs being cut when you shave this way. Keep it simple and find the good blade angle (differs from razor to razor slightly) and then to maintain it lock your wrist when shaving. Hope this helps!

+1

Top Bottom