What's new

Technique for injector and AC razor

As a recent convert from DE to SE shaving, I have been using the Gem style razors. I understand that the shaving angle is very steep with the Gem style razor (head of the shaver almost touching the skin). I want to branch out to other SE razors. Does one use the same technique (“ride the cap”) with an injector, such as a Schick or Supply, razor? What about the AC style razor (Occam, Mongoose, General, etc)? Thank you

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I was thinking of a Gem to buy recently because SE is sure nice to use IMO. I use the Schick E2 injector and that is a nice razor for my skin and easy to use(make sure to buy recently new blades because I bought some that looked new 40 yrs + but had decayed a little giving me a negative first impression). I find the Schick a easy razor to learn from DE, It seems carefree almost and gives just one of the best shaves I can deliver with any other razor. E2 series (on the 4.5>5.4 mid aggressive side IMO)can be bought at local Antique stores or on line. The Feather artisan club(AC) blades seem very popular also, with a host of New razors to choose from. The Supply provision looks like a winner and they do not come up for sale very often on BST telling me the owners of the razor are happy with it.

As a recent convert from DE to SE shaving, I have been using the Gem style razors. I understand that the shaving angle is very steep with the Gem style razor (head of the shaver almost touching the skin). I want to branch out to other SE razors. Does one use the same technique (“ride the cap”) with an injector, such as a Schick or Supply, razor? What about the AC style razor (Occam, Mongoose, General, etc)? Thank you

Yes. You should start with the cap flat against your skin, then slightly lower the handle until you can hear the beard being cut. The AC-type razors work the best for me with the same technique.

Yes. You should start with the cap flat against your skin, then slightly lower the handle until you can hear the beard being cut. The AC-type razors work the best for me with the same technique.
Very good advice. I have found starting flat and gradually lifting until you hear and feel the blade cutting to be a sound way to use any razor. Since many of us use several types, this advice pays dividends consistently.

For the injectors, I ride the cap. There are a select few angles where the blade will engage so it is easy to find the angle with them. Steve explains it quite well above.

For the AC razors, I used to ride the cap and much preferred my injectors at that time. I have since started using my AC razors near their design angle, or a neutral angle if you will, and have come to really love my AC razor shaves because of this. I start with the guard against my skin and the handle parallel to my face/perpendicular to the ground. Then I slowly rotate the handle away from my face until the blade starts to engage. I actually call this steep angle shaving and riding the cap shallow angle shaving, so it shows you how confusing those terms can be. I would try out what works with each razor before giving up on them. I nearly gave up on my AC razors until I changed the angle. I've been using them now for almost a month straight without any issue, getting very close and comfortable shaves.

Thanks to all of you, I appreciate your time and knowledge. I have received my Supply SE razor and just ordered the Occam Razor with ProGruard blades. Don't know why I think I need more razors, but it is fun. I will take all your advice to heart.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Good luck with the SE razors. Great advice from members has been already given to you. My problem is keeping the angle as I always seem to default back to DE. With the SE you should get a great shave if you can keep the angle correct. Otherwise you will finish up a scraper like I did.

Top Bottom