What's new

Technique and disinterest

I’ve been wet shaving for over a year now, and I have tried many different products. But whenever I start shaving I get extremely disinterested, and it causes me to become sloppy leading to irritation. It sometimes seems like nothing will work for me. It may be physiological, but has anyone else feel burnt out and that shaving is not fun anymore? If so, please help me out.
Any recommendations and tips/tricks will be much appreciated.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Sorry to hear you are disenchanted. May I ask what you are using? Did you come from carts? Has anything clicked that gets you enthusiastic?

Make it a game. See how quickly you can learn to get a shave done without cuts or irritation. Don't aim for perfection, just an irritation-free decent-looking shave done quickly so you can go on and do other things.

Are you using the same setup each day? Variety gives you something to look forward to. I rotate soaps, brushes, aftershaves, and razors.

Sorry to hear you are disenchanted. May I ask what you are using? Did you come from carts? Has anything clicked that gets you enthusiastic?

Thanks. I use a variety of products. Arko, clubman, proraso, Parker. It might be chemical irritation to the soaps. For blades Supermax, Astra, Rapira. I was only using carts for a couple months before I started. I really like woodsy scents but I cannot decide what to try.

Are you using the same setup each day? Variety gives you something to look forward to. I rotate soaps, brushes, aftershaves, and razors.

I change it up quite a lot, but I only have so many things. I have 2 boars and 2 synthetics, and only 3 razors. I do not own any artisan aftershaves, I have only tried clubman.

I had your very same issue this morning. I have been using the same gear because my shaves are consistent and great, but boring. I was just bored out of my mind and wanted it over with. Put some cool Jazz on and plowed through it, that's all you can do.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
If your heart's not in it, wait till it is.

You can't force yourself to be interested in something, you'll just end up resenting it. Products won't help you be interested in the shave itself, by which I mean the action of shaving, which is where your interest wains. In fact I find that trying different products gives me a poorer shave, because part of my awareness is distracted by scents etc, instead of the shave.

I'd suggest having one last shave, and make it a good one. Favourite razor, blade, soap and brush. Take your time, and I don't mean linger when the blades off the face, but stroke the razor across your face slightly slower than normal on purpose. Try and make it the best shave (not necessarily the closest) with that kit, then put it away, and go and use something generic for a while. Only come back to it when you're ready to.

I’ve been wet shaving for over a year now, and I have tried many different products. But whenever I start shaving I get extremely disinterested, and it causes me to become sloppy leading to irritation.

Not sure how interesting you expect it to be. It's shaving, not mountain climbing. But even if it's a chore, it doesn't mean you can't do it efficiently and competently.

If your heart's not in it, wait till it is.

You can't force yourself to be interested in something, you'll just end up resenting it. Products won't help you be interested in the shave itself, by which I mean the action of shaving, which is where your interest wains. In fact I find that trying different products gives me a poorer shave, because part of my awareness is distracted by scents etc, instead of the shave.

I'd suggest having one last shave, and make it a good one. Favourite razor, blade, soap and brush. Take your time, and I don't mean linger when the blades off the face, but stroke the razor across your face slightly slower than normal on purpose. Try and make it the best shave (not necessarily the closest) with that kit, then put it away, and go and use something generic for a while. Only come back to it when you're ready to.

Thank you so much, I needed to hear that. Wonderful advice.

Not sure how interesting you expect it to be. It's shaving, not mountain climbing. But even if it's a chore, it doesn't mean you can't do it efficiently and competently.

You make a great point. I used to think the same, but I thought it could be much more. Things are what you make of it, and I suppose I failed trying to make shaving more than a chore.

I’ve been wet shaving for over a year now, and I have tried many different products
If you try a lot of products, you don't usually get to a standard setup, and that can be demotivating.

There's a thing called a Fixed Four, where you use the same razor, type of blade, soap and brush for a month. Once the distraction of "too much choice" stops, you can concentrate on technique, make controlled changes, lock in the ones that work for you, and back out of the ones that don't.

Here's a recent thread about the idea,

If you try a lot of products, you don't usually get to a standard setup, and that can be demotivating.

There's a thing called a Fixed Four, where you use the same razor, type of blade, soap and brush for a month. Once the distraction of "too much choice" stops, you can concentrate on technique, make controlled changes, lock in the ones that work for you, and back out of the ones that don't.

Here's a recent thread about the idea,

Sounds like a good idea, thanks for the suggestion.

I’ve been wet shaving for over a year now, and I have tried many different products. But whenever I start shaving I get extremely disinterested, and it causes me to become sloppy leading to irritation. It sometimes seems like nothing will work for me. It may be physiological, but has anyone else feel burnt out and that shaving is not fun anymore? If so, please help me out.
Any recommendations and tips/tricks will be much appreciated.
Purchase a half dozen different razors and the same with soap. A little extra skin in the game (no pun intended) will peak your interests.

@Alex A, I've introduced many to traditional shaving and even converted 5 or 6. But it's not for everyone.

It may be a better way to shave.
It may be a less expensive way to shave (if you mind your purchases).
It may be a more enjoyable way to shave.

But these are all subjective, and if you don't enjoy it then there's little, if any, advantage for you.

Different razors could do it for you.
Different soaps could do it for you.
Different prep could do it for you.

Or, it could be that nothing will do it for you and that's ok too. At the end of the day (or perhaps at the start of the day), all you need is the whiskers off your face. Whatever works for you is what you should be doing.

I keep interested by focusing on what I like and don’t appreciate with the various hardware and software that are either ‘on approval’ or ‘in my rotation!’ :a29:

Honestly sometimes I fluctuate. I think it's okay to feel that way. Some days I like taking extra time, being perfect, really enjoying the ritual. Others I just want to slap some lather on my face, remove the hair, and get on with my day. Most days are somewhere in the middle.

I love experiments. :001_wub:

But around the middle of last year I'd overdone the amount of "stuff" I was playing with. I'd burned out.

I stopped posting here and went back to electric shaves during the week and two blade Sensor Excel (still available on eBay) and canned foam shaves at the weekend — all for speed and simplicity. About six months later I suddenly wanted a good DE shave with soap, brush, etc. That shave was SO GOOD (not to mention close and smooth) that I started reading and posting here again early this year.

So it looks like I'm good for another 3½ years. :laugh:

This is nothing more than a pedantic post in which I bemoan the increasing lack of distinction between two perfectly good words that ought not to be blended together: disinterested and uninterested. I know I am fighting a losing battle here, but I'm going to finish my thought, anyway.

Originally, the two words were distinct. Uninterested meant that you lacked interest. Distinterested, on the other hand, meant that you were not biased, that you had no preconceived notion that might color your judgment. One would, therefore, ask for a disinterested opinion and hope for a disinterested judge in a criminal case.

You have become uninterested in shaving. I cannot provide you with a disinterested opinion on the matter, because I love shaving.

That is all. Carry on with your thread.

Top Bottom