What's new

TECH Tuesday

I normally use the FFFMM to dial in new/little used razors. I don't want to break my tradition, and using my FBT wouldn't be much of a challenge... but thank you for the suggestion, appreciated. :cornut:
I can definitely understand that. Sometimes visiting an “old friend” in razor terms, trying new things and becoming proficient with them or even reevaluating older razors that you might not have liked can be fun

Hooray, it’s Tech Tuesday!!!!

Used my PreWar Tech.
F7E88C06-50A0-4A66-8D44-953A9E0C5A5F.jpeg

I can definitely understand that. Sometimes visiting an “old friend” in razor terms, trying new things and becoming proficient with them or even reevaluating older razors that you might not have liked can be fun
I’ve done this with both an EFBT and a NDC Superspeed, both thrown in a junk draw for over a decade. To my surprise they are both stellar performers in their own right. I’m about to have a Tech Saturday with the EFBT. Both these razors performance has stopped me pulling the trigger on a timeless titanium 0.95 OC, although having just seen the Yates 921 I’m falling in love with titanium all over again.

Tech Tuesday shave

Cella red, tub
Omega 10049 Professional boar brush
Gillette Pre-War Fat Handle Tech
Astra Superior Platinum (3)
Omega Alum block
Thayers Witch Hazel, Aloe Vera Formula, Rose Petal
Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum aftershave

I'm thankful for Tech Tuesday, it's a reminder of how smart the Gillette designers were and what a brilliant shave one can get from a Tech. This was a colossal shave!

It was a three pass shave, WTG, XTG, ATG. Face lathering with Cella red, with the awesome Omega 10049, yielded a smooth lather that performed perfectly. Everything clicked for this shave.

No weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation. Dream shave.

10/10 BBS

Have a good day and excellent shaves! :badger:

Pre-war fat handle
B49AC8EE-D249-4073-BDF7-55E59C901A37.jpeg

I love this razor so much - utterly perfect close, comfortable shaves for me with one pass. I avoided Techs because I read so many posts calling them inefficient, but I find the opposite to be true. The only razor I own that is more efficient is the Blackland Era with a 4 plate. In fact, I have a gold post-war fat handle on the way to see if I prefer my Techs even less efficient!

Pre-Shave: hot water
Brush: Shavemac Beagle
Lather: Kent Luxury Shaving Soap
Razor: Gillette Flat Bottom Tech
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (1)
Post-Shave: Hot & cold water, alum block and GFT Ecuris Skinfood

20230321_092206.jpg

My English Flat Bottom Tech is back in rotation and it has set a high standard for the Flat Bottom New Tommorrow. A DFS from a wtg & atg, no irritation or weepers. While I am confident that the New can replicate these results, it may not have much to work with.

I'm thankful for Tech Tuesday, it's a reminder of how smart the Gillette designers were and what a brilliant shave one can get from a Tech. This was a colossal shave!

The Gillette Techs design team(s) definately proved themselves masters of their craft when they introduced the Tech. I am always impressed by a Tech shave, the FBT by the fact that this, at the time, inexpensive & mass produced razor has the look, feel and shave quality of a bespoke razor. My 50s/60s British Aluminium Ball Handle, impresses me with the fact that this, again at that time, cheap and mass produced razor, the budget razor in Gillettes line-up. Still produces results that I would expect to see in a larger and heavier razor.

Tech Tuesday!

Razor: Gillette Fat Handle Tech, NDC, oval holes in the base plate
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum (3)
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Omega 10066 Boar
Post shave: Thayers Witch Hazel, Aloe Vera Formula
Aftershave: Ice Blue Aqua Velva

This was a three pass shave: WTG, XTG, ATG. No weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.
The Tech did its usual good job, no drama, easy peasy. My face and neck feel smooooth, but the skin is not irritated at all. Smooth and mild.

10/10

Have a good day and enjoy your shaves!! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom