What's new

TECH Tuesday

lasta

Blade Biter
It's a 2 part handle with only the top part present. It looks like it was part of a military set, but the handle knurling pattern is all wrong from anything on the Mr Razor site.

The handle is closest to this but has a Canadian head.
proxy.php

A bit baffling.
Think of it as glass half full.

The half-handle forms an exact 1.618 proportion with the head. Better this way!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
It's a 2 part handle with only the top part present. It looks like it was part of a military set, but the handle knurling pattern is all wrong from anything on the Mr Razor site.
I read somewhere that the Gillette factories liked to use up all of the old stock, and if last years cap or handle fit the next model, it would get used, resulting in an unmatched set.

~doug~

Been away from this thread for awhile. Nothing like an Open Comb month (OCtober) to once again discover how much I enjoy shaving with my early Prewar Techs! Back to my favorite one today, with the skinny ball handle. A DFS with a Feather High Stainless!

Attachments

• 0CFF4D00-4C20-4394-BC29-A58924694C05.jpeg
    0CFF4D00-4C20-4394-BC29-A58924694C05.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
October 4

Razor: Gillette Tech (Canadian pre-war model) w/ short bulldog handle
Blade: BIC Chrome (5)
Brush: Omega 11137 ash wood boar
Soap: RR Santa Maria del Fiore
A/S: Dickinson's witch hazel, RR Santa Maria del Fiore splash

DFS+

Always a comfy shave with this razor. Maybe not the closest shave, but good.

In a weird way I envy you. I skipped Tech Tuesday because of OCtober - hmmm…next week…

Guido
After a more irritation than usual Micromatic OC shave yesterday I needed to be kinder to my face today! My Gillette New LC is almost as nice as my Tech, I will probably be rotating that in soon. The only other OC in my quiver is my Gillette Old Type, which may won’t be used as much.

PS: the archery term “quiver” is often used by skiers who have (too) many skis, not unlike some razor owners. I am certain that one reason my wife doesn’t say too much about my razor purchases is because she is thinking, “well at least it’s not skis anymore!”

Date
365 days of shaving307/306
(100%)
GRUME01/30 (100%)
NOCvember
01/30 (100%)

Passes3
WXTG(2)Gillette Slide
(NE-SW)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Efficiency & Effectiveness
Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
9/10 (BBS)
9/10 (almost clean)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette English Flat Bottom Tech with Lasta Blue Handle
Dorco ST300HQ (8)Omega Super Badger 632
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallow Tabac
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Chanel Allure (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave:

Tech oh Tech how I have missed thee Tech. The wonderful passes and BBS was had. This razor is simply amazing and so was the blade. After a couple of tug-o-war blades this was coming home to comfort, pleasure and smoothness.

And NOCvember has officially started!

Attachments

• 6493BAE3-2F5B-4E60-ABD8-086C95393625.jpeg
    6493BAE3-2F5B-4E60-ABD8-086C95393625.jpeg
    953.5 KB · Views: 2
TECH Tuesday SOTD
1945-No26-FBT-SOTD-K_2022-11-01.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac Silvertip D01 16/47
Soap: Canada
Razor: 1945 Gillette No 26 Set FBT GT
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Ninja (9)
ASL: Clubman VIBR
A very pleasant shave with my (current) top favorite SB razor.:biggrin: It's magic.:sorcerer:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

it’s Tech Tuesday again, but who needs an excuse! After OCtober I confirmed again that I get a faster and closer shave on my Tech than on my more aggressive Gillette New, or OT. I continue to work on face lathering, I had it down today with a slightly drier brush. I opened a puck of Mike’s Natural Wild Honeysuckle. It wasn’t my first choice, it was all he had. But the basic ingredients in Mike’s are the same, just the scent varies. You can’t always get what you want, but you just you might find you always get what you need! I actually liked it, not too strong as Mike cautioned. A DFS+!

it’s Tech Tuesday again, but who needs an excuse! After OCtober I confirmed again that I get a faster and closer shave on my Tech than on my more aggressive Gillette New, or OT. I continue to work on face lathering, I had it down today with a slightly drier brush. I opened a puck of Mike’s Natural Wild Honeysuckle. It wasn’t my first choice, it was all he had. But the basic ingredients in Mike’s are the same, just the scent varies. You can’t always get what you want, but you just you might find you always get what you need! I actually liked it, not too strong as Mike cautioned. A DFS+!
+1 LJ. Shaved with my Flat Bottom Tech yesterday and even this morning I have less stubble than yesterday morning.

Enjoy your day,

Guido

3711CBDA-01EB-4108-8197-90D9798EC26D.jpeg

Tech Tuesday / Exploration Blade PIF / European Week / NOCvember

Pre: P.A.A. Cube 2.0 w/ Cube Dock

Razor: Gillette Black Handle Tech (1938-1945)
Blade: Eddison Super Stainless

Soap: Stirling Soap Co. Hot Apple Cider
Brush: Van Der Hagen Pure Badger
Bowl: Bluff Cove Pottery

Post 1: P.A.A. Alum No-Slip Grip System w/ Dry Dock System
Post 2: Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel Deep Cleansing Astringent w/ Menthol & Eucalyptus
Aftershave: Stirling Soap Co. Hot Apple Cider
Post 4: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream Extra-Dry w/ Hyaluronic Acid

Being that it's very foggy outside this morning I decided to try out Stirling Soap Company's Hot Apple Cider for the first time. It just feels right for today.

Also, being that it's Tech Tuesday I wanted to burst out my recently acquired black handle Tech. This razor is much less common than its all nickel fat handle Tech brother and is a version that deserves a little more attention.

As you all know (or should know) Gillette Tech razors do the job of shaving very well. There's not a lot of fuss with these. Just slap in a blade and away you go.

For today's shave I'm continuing with the Eddison Super Stainless blade, now on its fourth use. Matched up in the Tech razor, this blade showed no signs of slowing down. The blade seems to be holding up very well and continues to impress me.

I did a four-pass shave with some against the grain buffing and earned a DFS+.

The Hot Apple Cider soap did a great job of protecting my face, as all Stirling soaps do and the scent is as you would expect. Appley with lots of cinnamon! Speaking of which, go easy on the aftershave. I uh, poured out just a touch more than I originally intended but being that I'm the type that loves a real healthy dose of aftershave in general, I threw it all on. Boy was I feeling it. That cinnamon really got me. Wooow!

After a few minutes the "Hot" simmered and the fragrance as a whole began to shine. This is definitely a nice scent for the season and upcoming holidays. If you dig hot apple cider consider picking this set up.

Alright gentlemen. That's it for today.

Enjoy your Tuesday and shave on!

Date
365 days of shaving314/312
(100%)
GRUME08/30 (100%)
NOCvember
08/30 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 1/3
Timor 0/3
Eddison 1/3
Passes2 and touch up
WXTGGillette Slide/Slant
(NE-SW)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)
Efficiency & Effectiveness
Quality & Comfort
9/10 (~15 minutes)
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (Clean)
10/10 (GlideFest)
Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette Flat Bottom Tech on Lasta Red handleEddison (2)DVH Synthetic
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tabac (Tallow)
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Chanel Allure (Balm)
Notes to today’s shave:
Second shave with the Eddison blade was amazing! The EFBT and Eddison took no prisoners and two passes with some jaw line touch ups later BBS was had.

The Eddison is definitely more effective for me. That is the best of PIFs like these - Eddison was definitely not in my radar. I knew the brand, but never considered it. I have considered Bolzano, but this PIF makes me realise the blade is less for me.

Tabac performed as usual. LOTH noted the scent being present and not to her liking. Chanel came to the rescue and everything is cool again.

I followed my beard map less and results were fine, but I think applying my beard map minimises touch up.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Tech Tuesday
20221108_141442~2.jpg

Razor: Gillette Canada Pre-War Tech (@Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Kai (2)
Brush: RazoRock Hive 24 Mokasoft HD
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Vetyver
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Green Freeze
Fragrance: Malizia Uomo Vetyver

Superb shave! :cool:
20221108_141528~2.jpg

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12004111

Top Bottom