What's new

Tech question

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I got a NEW for Christmas, and the prospect of getting started DE shaving got me so excited that the next day I went to an antique shop and bought a bunch more (including a couple of SE Gems). They were all $4.50 a piece.
$IMAG0283.jpg
One of the new ones is a '53 Tech. In all of my reading around here, I've come across references to zinc alloy and corrosion and plating bubbling and all that good stuff, and the fact that some Techs had zinc caps. So I look at my Tech, and this is what I see:
$IMAG0284.jpg
I have to assume that I got an alloy cap. While I'd prefer it to be in better condition, I'm not overly concerned about it. I bought it to use; I have, and will continue to. But I would like to know if anybody has any idea of what the lifespan of this cap would be in this condition. Everything feels solid, and there's no flaking. Now that it's coming in contact with water, is it likely to quickly deteriorate, or should it be okay for a couple years? I would like to get my money's worth (all $4.50 of it).

When it is only on top and not near the threading it could live long enough to satisfy you for $4,50. But to be honest I don't have a clue of what to expect. Use it and report back! Share the knowledge with us!

Not really sure, but if you dry it when finished with your shaves, i would assume it should last quite a bit longer. i would not worry to much about it. Good luck and nice pick up!

I have the same thing on one of my techs. Now I've been using it in a rotation for about 18 months.

Cant see it spreading or any kind of deterioration. Still I hope It'll last for may may years to come.

But I am eagerly following this thread.

Kilroy6644

18 months, huh? I bet I could even get $5 worth of use out of it in that time.

That's a nice collection you've got started . . . at very reasonable prices, too!

Your Tech cap is pitting from the inside out . . . a condition that will some day be fatal to the razor. It's been 60 years getting to that point . . . could easily go another 60 if kept dry between shaves. If you find the Tech to be your absolute favorite razor, finding another in solid condition is easy enough - then yours could be passed along to a new wetshaver as a PIF . . .

Pick up some SE shaving blades at your local drugstore (I like the Treet Carbon Steel) and give that GEM 1912 a try! That is the finest shave of any razor of its era!!

Be very respectful of the Micromatic . . . the open-comb model requires exact angle and pressure for a bloodless outcome . . . but what a close shave it will give you!

The Super Speeds are a little more aggressive than your Tech, but not so much as to be classified as an aggressive razor. They're real workhorses!

Enjoy the shaves!!

Kilroy6644

I just started shaving with these Christmas Day, so I haven't got many under my belt yet. I've used the tech a couple of times, but I can't say it's my favorite; I can't say that I have a favorite yet. I did through a blade in the 1912 last night just to try it out. One WTG pass, so I didn't get much accomplished, but I like it. The Super Speeds and the Micromatic I'll have to try next week. I guess I'll be checking the other antique shops around here to see if they have any Techs.

Top Bottom