What's new

Tech-off - Smoothness wars.

I can't say I've noticed a difference in efficiency or longevity...

My feeling at very first was that there might be, but I'm now thinking there probably isn't - I suspect that having a razor in hand that I'd wanted for a long time made me concentrate more and gave me a better shave.
This head to head, making me focus more with the less exotic Tech's as well is probably a better indicator than a very careful shave with the hybrid one day and a more casual/autopilot approach with a regular tech on another day.

As I say, though, I like the extra weight in the head and the perception of higher quality overall (the plating is a big help, too) and I'd still buy it all over again... And indeed, I actually have bought another one (unless there are actual differences between the two I'm not going to bring a Hybrid-vs-Hybrid into this thread, though!).

Either way, wishing you great shaves also! 🍻
Have you ever weighed the cap and baseplate of the two razors? I'm just curious as to how much of a difference exists between them.

Have you ever weighed the cap and baseplate of the two razors? I'm just curious as to how much of a difference exists between them.

I haven't, but I can try... I haven't got particularly sophisticated equipment to hand though so I'm not sure how accurate it'll be!

Reactions: bjm
I haven't, but I can try... I haven't got particularly sophisticated equipment to hand though so I'm not sure how accurate it'll be!
Thanks; I appreciate the effort as any information is more than I currently have available :cool:

EDIT: Wait, I take that back. No, not the expression of appreciation, but the lack of available information :)

The cap and baseplate of my Flat-Bottom Tech together weigh approximately 24.8 grams and are split right down the middle at 12.4 grams each. I can't vouch for the accuracy of my $15 scale, but it's the only one I use so all of my measurements are relative to the scale's advertised tolerances.

Last edited:
The cap and baseplate of my Flat-Bottom Tech together weigh approximately 24.8 grams and are split right down the middle at 12.4 grams each. I can't vouch for the accuracy of my $15 scale, but it's the only one I use so all of my measurements are relative to the scale's advertised tolerances.

My kitchen scales are a little more primitive, no decimal places 🤣

However, that's not necessary to tell the story here...

Cap and baseplate:
- Flat Bottom: 25g
- RFB Hybrid: 30g

Of which baseplate:
- Flat Bottom: 13g
- RFB Hybrid: 18g

Doesn't sound like a lot, but...
That makes the Hybrid's head 20% heavier than the flat bottom, which is noticeable and enough to move the balance point a few mm (difficult to be precise, but again it's clear).

Battle three will have to wait for tonight...

#2 arrived.

20210811_204130.jpg
20210811_204036.jpg

Battle 3

The combatants:
USA "Pre-War" Triangle slot
England #11 service set Flat-Bottom

Blades:
Shark SC

The blades are a safe pick - they play well in all my Tech's, smooth and yet sharp enough to get the job done.

The two razors are both ones I really enjoy, though this isn't the same thin-handle Flat Bottom that stood up well against the Hybrid, no reason other than variety really... Oh, and I really like the handle for some reason, it's very light and really thin but the grip is just great, Gillette should've made more of these!!

Expectation based on experience is that the Triangle slot will be a touch more efficient and the Flat Bottom will be smoother (which is the aim of the game here), but then I expected the Hybrid to score clean 3-0's in any battle it's not been quite so clear cut so far!

20210815_213747.jpg

20210815_213809.jpg

20210815_213828.jpg

20210815_213846.jpg

Battle 3, Day 1

RHS - Flat Bottom #11
LHS - Triangle Slot (USA)

The triangle slot is definitely noisier than the Flat Bottom, a little bit more feedback... But after neither pass was there any significant evidence that it's really doing much more.

The Flat Bottom felt a touch smoother fullstop and especially top lip ATG - fine margins perhaps, but clear enough to me.

Result - #11 goes 1-0 up.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
These things are definitely YMMV. :)

I typically use Feather or Kai blades and shave with a steep angle. Might contribute to some of the differences in preferences?

These things are definitely YMMV. :)

I typically use Feather or Kai blades and shave with a steep angle. Might contribute to some of the differences in preferences?

I tend to prefer smooth over super sharp - Feathers are fine, but I tend to prefer them after a few shaves to break in (which doesn't particularly suit this format).

To be clear, though, I'm not judging on anything other than comfort here - it's all about the smoothness when shaving daily, every little helps to avoid a buildup of irritation.

(I'm not managing to post daily mostly because I don't have the time to take my time over the shave and observations to have something worthwhile to post - the days I don't post I'm typically using another razor I'm well a acquainted with and taking one pass for a comfortable and socially acceptable shave... Be that a different Tech, my Mamba 53 or 70 or even my New SC)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I tend to prefer smooth over super sharp - Feathers are fine, but I tend to prefer them after a few shaves to break in (which doesn't particularly suit this format).

To be clear, though, I'm not judging on anything other than comfort here - it's all about the smoothness when shaving daily, every little helps to avoid a buildup of irritation.

(I'm not managing to post daily mostly because I don't have the time to take my time over the shave and observations to have something worthwhile to post - the days I don't post I'm typically using another razor I'm well a acquainted with and taking one pass for a comfortable and socially acceptable shave... Be that a different Tech, my Mamba 53 or 70 or even my New SC)

The equation I use for my own evaluations is: Efficient + Smooth = Effective. :)

I prefer Effective razors over brutally efficient (which tend to be aggressive). Efficient is good, but it has to be smooth. :cool:

Top Bottom