What's new

Tech-off - Smoothness wars.

I like my Tech's a lot, but I've never really taken care to A-B them and catalogue my thoughts...

So I figured, why not - a series of head to heads to see how they all fare against each other.

My intention is to do 3 days with each pair of razors, shaving daily (as I tend to do), with matching handles two days (swapping sides) and the third day with original handles where I have them.

One pair of blades will complete all three shaves for each head to head (one pair of blades may go more than one pair of razors, though), same brush and same soap (my synth with homemade handle and MWF).

I've got a few great Tech's so this may go on a little while:
- RFB Tech/New Hybrid
- Triangle slot
- Flat bottom (a couple with minor differences)
- Aluminium baseplate

Let the battle commence!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I like my Tech's a lot, but I've never really taken care to A-B them and catalogue my thoughts...

So I figured, why not - a series of head to heads to see how they all fare against each other.

My intention is to do 3 days with each pair of razors, shaving daily (as I tend to do), with matching handles two days (swapping sides) and the third day with original handles where I have them.

One pair of blades will complete all three shaves for each head to head (one pair of blades may go more than one pair of razors, though), same brush and same soap (my synth with homemade handle and MWF).

I've got a few great Tech's so this may go on a little while:
- RFB Tech/New Hybrid
- Triangle slot
- Flat bottom (a couple with minor differences)
- Aluminium baseplate

Let the battle commence!
Great idea … looking forward to your impressions.

Battle 1:

The combatants: RFB Hybrid Tech -vs- Aluminium baseplate Tech
The blade: Dorco ST300.

The first battle sees my newest addition, the long-desired Hybrid up against one I've had for much longer...
The heaviest Tech I own against the lightest (especially with its proper handle, an aluminium ballend) - the cap isn't aluminium, not sure exactly what it is other than that it's mildly magnetic.

The reason for this battle first is that these are two that I have found to be especially smooth - I'm expecting the Hybrid to win, but if anything is going to upstage it then this little lightweight is the one.

As for the blade? They're sharp but in many razors are on the rough side - I'm hoping this will help to compare the smoothness of the two razors, which is something I value highly in a daily razor... They also came to me with a razor and it feels a waste not to use them up 🤣

Battle 1, Day 1
RHS: Hybrid
LHS: Aluminium

Pass 1: Pretty even, both pretty smooth. I prefer the extent weight of the Hybrid, but both behaved exemplary.

Pass 2: ATG on my top lip the Hybrid showed just a touch more smoothness... With a smoother blade this may have been less obvious, but with the rather agricultural Dorco it was noticeable.

Result:
Round one to the Hybrid by a whisker.

And now wondering whether to repeat this pairing later on with a better blade - even in two of the smoothest razors I own, it was noticeably a rough blade... I'm fine with that, it can still be interesting data!

20210727_203618.jpg

20210727_203819.jpg

20210727_203849.jpg

20210727_203908.jpg

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
This is going to be a fun read. And i have to say the "agricultural" descriptor is a new and unexpected one for blades but a very effective one.

Oh I know those Dorco's aren't a great blade, but that was part of the point - I'll probably rerun this pair later in the thread with a feather just to see if it goes any differently.

Interesting thread. Will keep an eye on it.

I have and have had a crap-ton of Techs: American pre-war and post-war (several of each), Canadian pre-war, British flat-bottom, Hybrid, and Zamak travel Tech. I liked them all a great deal, although I sold some and re-acquired some over the years. Favorites are probably the Hybrid and the flat-bottom, although I also love my gold American post-war Tech.

Interesting thread. Will keep an eye on it.

I have and have had a crap-ton of Techs: American pre-war and post-war (several of each), Canadian pre-war, British flat-bottom, Hybrid, and Zamak travel Tech. I liked them all a great deal, although I sold some and re-acquired some over the years. Favorites are probably the Hybrid and the flat-bottom, although I also love my gold American post-war Tech.

Feel free to join in, the more the merrier!

Battle 1, Day 2
RHS - Aluminium baseplate Tech
LHS - RFB Hybrid Tech

It's definitely time to call one thing - Dorco ST300 is one rough blade, even in these exemplary razors.

Pass 1 - as before, they're both very smooth WTG as you'd expect. The extra weight of the hybrid feels nicer, the aluminium baseplate generates a little more audio feedback.

Pass 2 - again when going ATG on the top lip the Hybrid shows its class.

In general the extra weight in the head of the hybrid feels reassuring - it may be that the heavier fat handle just doesn't suit the aluminium baseplate (which I'll find out tomorrow!) but either way in this particular test the Hybrid has just shown a touch of extra class... They're both Tech's, but they're also decidedly different.

Result - Hybrid goes 2-0 up.

20210727_203837.jpg

Battle 1, Day 3
RHS - Aluminium baseplate Tech
LHS - RFB Hybrid Tech

Allowed the aluminium baseplate razor to keep the right hand side (the easier side) for the final day with original handle fitted.

The balance is better with the lighter handle and if nothing else this has taught me to keep the fat handle away from it.

Pass 1 - again both exceptionally smooth.

Pass 2 - once again the hybrid is just smoother ATG.

I really like the lightweight Tech, but the hybrid wins this one.

Result 3-0 to the Hybrid.

A few really busy days have seen me let this slip a bit, wanting to get it going again but not having time to write up...

Anyway, time for Battle #2.

Battle 2
The two most obviously identifiably English variants - the Flat Bottom and the RFB Hybrid.

I have several flat bottoms (at least 3, possibly a fourth hiding in a drawer) and there are some slight subtle differences between the baseplates of two of them (a possible future matchup itself!), but this one has given some really great shaves so it gets to take on its posher half-brother - this flat bottom came with a thin handle (like the fat but thin), slightly shorter than my fat handles.

So let's see what happens!

Blades this time will be Feathers and as before day 3 will see the thin handle appear!

Battle 2, Day 1
RHS - Hybrid
LHS - Flat Bottom

Pass one - both very smooth, as expected.

Pass two - the Feather shows its superiority in the Hybrid straight away... Honestly though, the Flat Bottom is very similar in feel and not noticeably less smooth at all... Again, I like the little bit more weight in the head of the Hybrid but it's less noticeable in this battle.

Result... Tie?! Slightest of edges in preference to the Hybrid for a few grams, but this is smoothness wars and I would really struggle to separate them.

I've always liked this flat bottom Tech but I wasn't expecting to find it so difficult to separate it from the Hybrid (to be clear, though, the Hybrid is going nowhere!)

20210803_184046.jpg

Busy times keeping me from updating as often as I'd like...

With that in mind and a few days in-between (quick shaves using neither of these razors to preserve the blades for when I could write up properly)

Battle 2, Day 2
RHS - Flat Bottom Tech
LHS - RFB Hybrid Tech

Really close again - I sense just the slightest of advantages to the Hybrid this time but it's really, really close again.

Result - Hybrid just edges it to go 2-1 up, but it's very narrow margins.

(In all honesty if I didn't appreciate the extra weight in the head and the superior plating, it wouldn't be worth buying a Hybrid over a flat bottom... But I do like those things and the Hybrid isn't likely to drop it's value like a stone I don't think so no reason not to keep it!)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Great thread. Another big Tech fan here. I have dozens. All kinds. I love the hybrid. I agree the flat bottom is a close second to the hybrid. Especially in terms of smoothness and shave enjoyment. However I think the hybrid is more efficient and my shave lasts longer. Which is something you haven't mentioned. But like you, I had about a half dozen flat bottoms before I got my first hybrid. And was still quite impressed with everything about the hybrid when I scored it. Enjoy the shaves!

Great thread. Another big Tech fan here. I have dozens. All kinds. I love the hybrid. I agree the flat bottom is a close second to the hybrid. Especially in terms of smoothness and shave enjoyment. However I think the hybrid is more efficient and my shave lasts longer. Which is something you haven't mentioned. But like you, I had about a half dozen flat bottoms before I got my first hybrid. And was still quite impressed with everything about the hybrid when I scored it. Enjoy the shaves!

I can't say I've noticed a difference in efficiency or longevity...

My feeling at very first was that there might be, but I'm now thinking there probably isn't - I suspect that having a razor in hand that I'd wanted for a long time made me concentrate more and gave me a better shave.
This head to head, making me focus more with the less exotic Tech's as well is probably a better indicator than a very careful shave with the hybrid one day and a more casual/autopilot approach with a regular tech on another day.

As I say, though, I like the extra weight in the head and the perception of higher quality overall (the plating is a big help, too) and I'd still buy it all over again... And indeed, I actually have bought another one (unless there are actual differences between the two I'm not going to bring a Hybrid-vs-Hybrid into this thread, though!).

Either way, wishing you great shaves also! 🍻

Battle 2, Day 3
RHS - Flat Bottom Tech
LHS - RFB Hybrid Tech

Another great shave from both razors - almost nothing to choose between the two again, I can still appreciate the added class of the Hybrid but I couldn't say it was noticeably smoother again today.

Result - another draw making it 3-2 to the Hybrid.

20210803_174930.jpg

Top Bottom