What's new

Tech convert!

I was stunned at how much the year of sitting in a drawer had improved the quality of the razor.

:lol:

It it was clear to me that the previous troubles I'd had with the Tech were due to not using it with the ideal blade angle. Like most "mild" razors, the Tech was less forgiving of the wrong blade angle than more aggressive razors with larger blade gaps. However, as my technique improved over that intervening year, I was rewarded with a truly exceptional shave.

+1 I find that with a sharp blade the Tech is both mild and efficient. No trouble getting a close (and comfortable!) shave in the least.

Gotta love the Tech's...I only have to DE razors, one a ball end the other a pre-war fat handle.

Owen

Two is all you need. Mild blade for mild shave in the ball end. Feather in the pre war to bump the shave closeness factor, and you have a nice range to work with.

And here is a pic of the tech! My new best friend

(Not sure why the pic didnt attach. I'll retry posting a pic tonight!!)

Last edited:
I'm a Tech convert! Just had a shave with a prewar Tech Head on an MR5 handle.
BBS with a few nicks, didn't expect it to be so much more aggressive than my DE89, but pleasantly so.

proxy.php

I'm a Tech convert! Just had a shave with a prewar Tech Head on an MR5 handle.
BBS with a few nicks, didn't expect it to be so much more aggressive than my DE89, but pleasantly so.

proxy.php

Great combo!!
I like my m4 on my MR5 alot!!

What year is your head?

Last edited:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have been sprinkling my rotation with various Techs since the beginning. I've had pre-war and later ones. However I've recently acquired a couple of late 40s Techs with no date codes but with oval baseplate holes (rather than triangular). I find these to be heavenly. A real jump up in both smoothness and efficiency for me. I thoroughly enjoy all techs, but I find the triangle hole pre-wars to be a wee bit rough, and the later ones to be a tiny bit too mild. The late 40s are right in the sweet spot for me.

I'm not sure, don't really know how to figure that out
I'll post some pics when I get home, maybe you guys can tell me.

There is a letter and number on the bottom of the baseplate. Letter equals year. Number equals quarter of that year.
Yours is newer so it will have a code on it.
Mine is m4 so 4th quarter of 1967
Some earlier ones don't have codes, but here is the link to the dating code wiki:
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/US_Gillette_Dating_Information

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
M-4 is my birth year and quarter. Love my M-4 Tech. Usually keep that on an MR-8 handle.

Due to inspiration from this thread, I shaved this morning with a late 40's no date code gold Tech on a Razorock stainless barber pole handle.

After reading this thread I'm going to use my Tech today. It's a no date late 40's Gold Tech. I like to put my NEW short-comb bar handle on it. Aces!

After reading this thread I used my no date late 40's Ball End Tech this morning. I have had it for a couple of months and only used it once. The first time I did 4 passes and still only got a SAS. I had bought 3 other razors at the flea market that week and I never gave this another chance.

Today I loaded up a new lab blue after 3 passes I was BBS on the cheeks and very near on the neck. Good enough for me. Things went so well I did went a head and did a head shave. I wasn't going to, but I had the time and didn't want to stop. Three passes later my head was BBS The whole thing took less than 25 min. and a splash of witch hazel felt like pure water.

I am glad I gave it another chance. It will be making a regular appearance in my rotation from now on. I'm now a tech convert too.
:thumbup:

Attachments

• $DSCF7818.jpg
    $DSCF7818.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 52

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
After reading this thread I used my no date late 40's Ball End Tech this morning.

That looks like the same razor I used this morning as well. Except I took the head off the ball end handle and put it onto a RR Stainless Barber Pole. Great combo. The added weight for the stainless handle makes all the difference in the shave too.

I am glad you posted that photo of your razor. I wasnt quite 100% confident that the top cap with the Gillette logo went as far back as the no date code era. So thanks for that!

$2015-08-18 17.02.57.jpg

There is a letter and number on the bottom of the baseplate. Letter equals year. Number equals quarter of that year.
Yours is newer so it will have a code on it.
Mine is m4 so 4th quarter of 1967
Some earlier ones don't have codes, but here is the link to the dating code wiki:
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/US_Gillette_Dating_Information

I don't see any date codes. Here is a pic of the head base plates from all of my Tech heads.

Attachments

• $IMG_20150818_151121681_HDR.jpg
    $IMG_20150818_151121681_HDR.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 241
I don't see any date codes. Here is a pic of the head base plates from all of my Tech heads.

Top and bottom are prewar techs with triangle slots (lather slots)
Middle is late 40s no date code.
Hard to narrow down specifics without boxes ano/or handles.
Both great shavers according to our membership... I'm sure others will tell you.
Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong.
The triangle slots do look slightly different so there might be a difference.

Top and bottom are prewar techs with triangle slots (lather slots)
Middle is late 40s no date code.
Hard to narrow down specifics without boxes ano/or handles.
Both great shavers according to our membership... I'm sure others will tell you.
Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong.
The triangle slots do look slightly different so there might be a difference.

The bottom head plate came with a fat handle, the top two came sans handles & rhodium replated. Not so concerned about the dates as with their awesome shaves.

Top Bottom