What's new

Tech challenged, need new laptop suggestion.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My old laptop is on it's last legs and I need a replacement. Been quite a while since I've looked at new computer gear. I'm not a gamer or do a lot of fancy graphics or film editing. I went by Best Buy just to window shop, looking primarily at Lenovo, Dell and HP. Seems like most of the nicer ones are 2 in 1, don't know that I'd really use that feature much, but the touch screen is kind of intriguing. Not sure I'd have a lot of use for the pen either. I know I want SSD, good video quality, at least 15 in. screen and I'll most likely stay with Windows. I'd be willing to spend $1000 to 1800 ish, don't want to overpay and buy more than I need, but I don't want to economize and get something mediocre. Any suggestions?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I bought an inexpensive (roughly $350) HP PC from Walmart back in the summer to do all the PC things i need. IIRC it was 8gb Ram and 256GB SSD hard drive. Running Windows 10 I think? Whatever the latest is. I then went through and removed all the bloatware, and turned off nearly all programs that run on start up, deleted everything I don’t need. Just Googled “how to make PC faster”. Doing all that made it a tad quicker. I use it to run very light software for my hacked Nintendo Switch and internet use. I think your $1000-1800 budget should get you a REALLY NICE PC. Personally I would go with a HP or a Lenovo.

BUT, the Alienware line is super nice - even though you’re not a gamer you can use it for things other than gaming. Might be worth looking in to but I think they start at about 1200+

I’ll be getting the new MacBook Pro 14” for a Christmas present to myself which fits my everyday needs better than a PC would.

What are you using the machine for?
Do you use any software outside the browser? If so, what?
Are you frequently moving around with it, or is it mostly docked and attached to a monitor and keyboard?

My wife bought a Lenovo 14" 2 in 1 at a Microsoft store 2 years ago. Although MS store staff were extremely helpful in getting her set up, and she had 2 yr warranty & support, they closed the store 6 mos later due to covid, so we got shafted on support. Nothing like screwing over paying customers. I hope his rocket blows up with him in it. Fortunately, the Lenovo itself has worked pretty well, better than Dell or HP laptops we've had in the past. I did have to buy a new battery off ebay earlier this year and have it installed at a local shop. The techs there couldn't even track down a replacement battery, but I have some knowledge in computers, having used them since the 80s, owning PCs since the early 90s, and building and rebuilding my own desktops since 2007. I was able to find a replacement battery, but me eyes are getting too old for those small screws, so I had techs install. It's been running fine since.

Lately, I've been suggesting to my wife that she upgrade hers to a Lenovo with a 15+ inch screen from Costco. It comes with 2 yr warranty and support. She already has a subscription to Office 365, so she's fine. I'm a dinosaur and still use Office 97.

Last edited:
Regardless of ones computing needs, cordially recommend the following:

TOTL - Legion 7 Gen 6 16" AMD - https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-7-series/legion-7-16-amd/82n6cto1wwus1

AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800H Processor (3.20 GHz, up to 4.40 GHz Max Boost, 8 Cores, 16 Threads, 16 MB Cache), 16 GB DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8 GB), NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 3060 6GB, 512 GB PCIe SSD,16" QHD (2560 x 1600) IPS, anti-glare with Dolby Vision™, HDR 400, 500 nits, 165Hz.
This configuration will cover 'all' the needs of a casual to moderate user at least 5 years.

MR - Yoga 7i (15”) - Slate Grey - https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/yoga/yoga-2-in-1-series/yoga-7i-(15)/82bj006yus

11th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7 Processor (2.80 GHz, up to 4.70 GHz with Turbo Boost, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 12 MB Cache), 12 GB DDR4 3200MHz (Soldered), 512 GB PCIe SSD, Integrated Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS, glossy, touchscreen, 300 nits.

LR - Yoga 7 15" - https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/yoga/yoga-2-in-1-series/yoga-7i-(15)/82bjcto1wwus1

11th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7 Processor (2.40 GHz up to 4.20 GHz), 8 GB DDR4 3200MHz (Soldered), 256 GB PCIe SSD, Integrated Intel® Iris® Xe graphics, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS, touchscreen, 250 nits.

I was aiming mainly for AMD mobile driven systems since at this point in time, for multi-threaded applications, there's really no competition. All presented are configurable to heart's content and pocket depth. There are still some 'leftovers' from AMD RYZEN series 4 on the market, of which I'd gladly recommend pretty much all convertibles powered either by RYZEN 5 or RYZEN 7,16 Gb preferably. The likes of:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
What are you using the machine for?
Do you use any software outside the browser? If so, what?
Are you frequently moving around with it, or is it mostly docked and attached to a monitor and keyboard?
Mostly routine stuff. Maybe some word processing. I noticed that most laptops don't use a DVD player anymore. I would use a few ballistic programs or those related to ammo reloading.

My wife bought a Lenovo 14" 2 in 1 at a Microsoft store 2 years ago. Although MS store staff were extremely helpful in getting her set up, and she had 2 yr warranty & support, they closed the store 6 mos later due to covid, so we got shafted on support. Nothing like screwing over paying customers. I hope his rocket blows up with him in it. Fortunately, the Lenovo itself has worked pretty well, better than Dell or HP laptops we've had in the past. I did have to buy a new battery off ebay earlier this year and have it installed at a local shop. The techs there couldn't even track down a replacement battery, but I have some knowledge in computers, having used them since the 80s, owning PCs since the early 90s, and building and rebuilding my own desktops since 2007. I was able to find a replacement battery, but me eyes are getting too old for those small screws, so I had techs install. It's been running fine since.

Lately, I've been suggesting to my wife that she upgrade hers to a Lenovo with a 15+ inch screen from Costco. It comes with 2 yr warranty and support. She already has a subscription to Office 365, so she's fine. I'm a dinosaur and still use Office 97.
As far as I know, there's no need for a brick-and-mortar shop for hardware support. Lenovo at least, I imagine most manufacturers nowadays, don't even care who purchased the unit. Mail the unit safely packaged and they'll RMA.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@Anu , I was looking hard at that Yoga 7i, top contender so far for a Windows machine.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
How so? I've toyed with the idea of switching to Mac, but haven't had the big reason to do so. I'm getting a new iPhone, so I might be reconsidering.

I’m totally emerged in the Apple ecosystem. iPhone 12 mini, Apple Watch series 6, iPad Pro, 27” iMac, Apple Keyboard, Apple TV, Apple Music, Airpods Pro, seems like I’m forgetting something….

I also use Final Cut Pro, Motion, and Compressor. So it just doesn't make sense for me to get a PC as my computer away from home.

If you are not completely wedded to Windows, look at Chromebooks. For general Internet surfing, paying bills, watching YouTube/Netflix/Disney+, and email they are great. Used one for years.

@Anu , I was looking hard at that Yoga 7i, top contender so far for a Windows machine.
Good choice, even though, given that more and more apps will be multi-threaded in the future and the manufacturing node, I'd still recommend AMD. Besides, there's some left on the open market from the old gens. However, stay away from everything larger than 7nm.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Good choice, even though, given that more and more apps will be multi-threaded in the future and the manufacturing node, I'd still recommend AMD. Besides, there's some left on the open market from the old gens. However, stay away from everything larger than 7nm.
Emphasis on tech challenged, 'splain the bolded please!

The lowest node that Intel can muster at this point in time is 10 nm SuperFin FET, now AMD, curtesy to TSMC is on 7nm FinFET which is more efficient. Both offerings are potent enough for day-to-day tasks, the difference comes in practical longevity. The following benchmark is between similarly bulk priced contenders. Again, the differences can be minute at the moment, but as time passes, the balance will always favour more cores and smaller node.

Last edited:
Mostly routine stuff. Maybe some word processing. I noticed that most laptops don't use a DVD player anymore. I would use a few ballistic programs or those related to ammo reloading.

You 100% should get a Chromebook. The fanciest ones are half the price of a Windows laptop, and you won’t have to deal with drivers, updates, Windows installation updates in the middle of your day, etc.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
You can buy an external USB DVD player/recorder for $20 which will meet your needs. Not having one built in will make the laptop lighter and they are becoming obsolete anyway. I have Lenovo and Dell and they seem fine with long term updates for drivers, online support, and easy spares availability if needed.

I’m totally emerged in the Apple ecosystem. iPhone 12 mini, Apple Watch series 6, iPad Pro, 27” iMac, Apple Keyboard, Apple TV, Apple Music, Airpods Pro, seems like I’m forgetting something….

I also use Final Cut Pro, Motion, and Compressor. So it just doesn't make sense for me to get a PC as my computer away from home.
...Car? :001_smile Whether Apple will offer a car in 3-4 years or not, the car/truck world is getting interesting lately with all the new entrants and technology.

The lowest node that Intel can muster at this point in time is 10 nm SuperFin FET, now AMD, curtesy to TSMC is on 7nm FinFET which is more efficient. Both offerings are potent enough for day-to-day tasks, the difference comes in practical longevity. The following benchmark is between similarly bulk priced contenders. Again, the differences can be minute at the moment, but as time passes, the balance will always favour more cores and smaller node.

But don't most applications still run on a single core. Making some of these multi-processor/core offerings better on paper than for the casual home user. I usually find it difficult to find the sweet spot when buying a new computer, trying to determine whether is it better to pay less and upgrade more frequently, or go full budget and buy something much better.

You can buy an external USB DVD player/recorder for $20 which will meet your needs. Not having one built in will make the laptop lighter and they are becoming obsolete anyway. I have Lenovo and Dell and they seem fine with long term updates for drivers, online support, and easy spares availability if needed.
Or have them ISO'ed and never concern yourself with the need of a DVD drive or potentially scratched media.

Top Bottom