What's new

Tear Drop Camping Trailer

Does anybody have experience camping in one of the tiny teardrop camping trailers? How about building one?

I ask because I have an old flat bed trailer we used to haul snowmobiles on. I am thinking about building a teardrop trailer body that would bolt to that not unlike a container on a semi-truck trailer chasis. I guess I'm looking for thoughts from others as to whether that would be a good idea or not. I am pretty good at working with sheet metal, wood, and low voltage electric wiring from some of my other hobbies. The heavy metal work for the frame is all done if I go the route of using the existing trailer.

I've watched a show about them, visited a few manufactures websites, and seen a few on the road. They look really interesting.

Last edited:
There is an "expedition portal" web site which many of the guys on there have built teardrops. I never camped in one but I wouldn't hesitate for a second. Sounds real fun like. I saw a few in my years of camping - they are really neat.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I've watched a show about them,... and seen a few on the road. They look really interesting.
ctr:
proxy.php
...the Mrs. and I think they look unique and would be so cool to camp-out in one (like in an 'ultimate' model...now that's our style)! :drool:

attachment.php

"Galley boasts double sinks and water pump, TV/DVD player, wine rack, side tables with patio lights and a beautiful finish. Wired for 110vac and 12vdc. Converter/battery charger is optional. The front wall, ceiling and closets are lined with aromatic cedar. Overhead closets, a space for an electric heater and reading lamp are shown".

http://www.bigwoodycampers.com/index.php/campers/ultimate

$ec24a1443096e1c149662e98f0b48a8e.jpg "Honey, say what...lets drop everything and just go and not come back for a while"! CBJ

Last edited:
I have seen some here in Britain being towed by big bikes such as BMW's etc! Saw a couple at an exhibition a few years ago and I was most impressed.

We have also had a sort of tourist/cookery program on TV here with Ade Edmundson going around Britain in a Mini towing one, showing sights and local folklore with a bit of cookery thrown in for good measure. Never see him actually sleeping in it though, just using the kitchen bit at the back!

I have read that back in the 50's a lot of people built them with plans from various woodworking and engineering magazines.

Gareth

If you're using a trailer, you're not camping........... :)

You're traveling.

But they are pretty interesting. Some guys will also use the trailer as a base to set up a tent (sort of like the truck tents).

I would be leary of putting one on a snowmobile trailer frame, I think you would be pushing the maximum load weight of the trailer.You might be ok if you keep it barebones, don't load it too heavy or aren't pulling it very far but most people that I see building them are using a heavier frame with bigger wheels and tires.

I want one so bad but my wife's idea of camping is a hotel:crying:
Lol! Mine too. But I put a thought in her head and told her the advantages of having a trailer. Your own sheets that don't smell like bleach, camp anywhere near the ocean, no check out times etc. From years ago to now she's coming around and sees the appeal of it.....grudgingly. Because she loves the ocean I told her there are plenty of places we can go with a trailer.

Top Bottom