What's new

Teach me about hats

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
"Fedora" covers a lot of ground.

The Indiana Jones types of Fedora...well, few people can pull it off.

The types of fedoras that Tom Landry (Dallas Cowboys coach) wore, however, is timeless and works for anyone.
I actually have an old "Indy" brand hat from 1982 still? Grey, black wide band. I got it new. I couldn't pull it off then, now I wear it often because I'm old, lol. Makes me feel dapper, even if I look shtoopid.

Well, I am a Texan...

New Christmas present from the lovely Mrs. Camjr - Cavender's by Serratelli 6x Silver Belly beaver.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

Well, I am a Texan...

New Christmas present from the lovely Mrs. Camjr - Cavender's by Serratelli 6x Silver Belly beaver.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
That is gorgeous (okay, sorry for the girly werd). And you my friend can pull it off. Excellent choice.

FarmerTan

Thank you. Growing up in Fort Worth and living here most of my life, they are a necessity!
I met a guy here in Michigan that dressed like a real life Cowboy every time I saw him. I finally got used to seeing him and his curled up handle bar mustache that was almost as wide as his hat!

And he was HUGE, probably 6'10" with those heels and a hat. Nobody probably made fun of his hat. Dudes chest was 2 axe handles wide!

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Never could pull off the cowboy hat look. Fedoras and flat caps look good on me. Or, maybe, I make them look good :c2:

BE8946C2-2B2C-4561-9FE2-3A08CB9CF1EB.png

Just bought this. I like it but do not think that I look good in it. Keeps my naked noggin warm and any rain/snow off.

View attachment 1202700

Just bought this. I like it but do not think that I look good in it. Keeps my naked noggin warm and any rain/snow off.

A hat should be about function AND style. The hat is perfect for the function you describe. It could be that you just aren't used to seeing yourself in this style of hat. Give it a chance and it will grow on you. Unfortunately, so many people in the last several decades have grown up just wearing ball caps that their sense of style and function is skewed.

Never could pull off the cowboy hat look. Fedoras and flat caps look good on me. Or, maybe, I make them look good :c2:
A lot of that may go with the region or environment you're in. I wear both flat caps and cowboy hats, but then again I'm in Texas (born and raised) so I don't stand out wearing a cowboy hat. It's odd if people my age don't have a couple pairs of boots and a few hats.

Happy New Year all!

captp

A lot of that may go with the region or environment you're in. I wear both flat caps and cowboy hats, but then again I'm in Texas (born and raised) so I don't stand out wearing a cowboy hat. It's odd if people my age don't have a couple pairs of boots and a few hats.

Happy New Year all!
That could be. I always thought I looked like a wanna-be cowboy in one (Central Pa. boy here, not a lot of real cowboys in the area).

That hat looks just like the hat I wore yesterday. I had it 25 years before I wore it regularly. Now I get compliments on it. Wear it. I garuantee the guys looking at you are jealous.

I wear it almost daily now that the weather has turned cooler (100% wool felt keeps the melon warm). I found out by accident that it smells bad when wet, so I applied some NikWax waterproofing yesterday.

FarmerTan

That hat looks just like the hat I wore yesterday. I had it 25 years before I wore it regularly. Now I get compliments on it. Wear it. I garuantee the guys looking at you are jealous.
Would y'all like to see me in that hat yesterday? I took a picture I just remembered. Lol, my wife says when I die she's gonna just take out my SD card outta my phone and burn it. I make her wait literally ALL THE TIME (her werds) while I take a picture. Then later I edit them. DRIVES HER CRAZY! LOL, I tell her all the time I could be chasing women for a hobby. She just reminds me that I wouldn't be satisfied with any I could catch!

FarmerTan

Would y'all like to see me in that hat yesterday? I took a picture I just remembered. Lol, my wife says when I die she's gonna just take out my SD card outta my phone and burn it. I make her wait literally ALL THE TIME (her werds) while I take a picture. Then later I edit them. DRIVES HER CRAZY! LOL, I tell her all the time I could be chasing women for a hobby. She just reminds me that I wouldn't be satisfied with any I could catch!
Still shaving is still laughing at me I see! Just for that, here is the picture of me in my hat:IMG_20201231_155441437~2.jpg

captp

Still shaving is still laughing at me I see! Just for that, here is the picture of me in my hat:View attachment 1203545
Fedora? Hard to tell on my phone. Thought I remembered you mention an Indy (Jones, I assume), went back and saw you did, so guessing that's the fedora. I have an "Official" Indy hat from 10-12 years ago. I like it a lot, and it looks good on me (I think so). Fur felt, really only good Spring & Fall, generally too hot for summer, and it doesn't keep my ears warm in winter.

Last edited:

captp

I could POSSIBLY rock a flat cap with that 'stache my friend, but not NEARLY which such flair.

You look amazingly like my hero Samuel Clemons! (Tho I don't think I've ever seen him in a flat cap. Or anything covering his head?!?)
Knew I remembered him in a Panama (I think)
140319-smith-twain-tease_aaf9vw.jpg

Search "Mark Twain in hat", you'll find him in top hat, bowler, seaman style cap and more.

Top Bottom