What's new

Tea Tree oil for preshave?

I saw Tee Tree oil listed in the "preshave" category of a website, and I was just wondering if anyone had ever used it as such?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Be very careful with Tea Tree oil. you MUST dilute it. If you don't it will burn your skin.

+1

Strong stuff. Scent is also, hummm, imposing. I do not like it so I tend to avoid those products but Tea Tree has great antiseptic aspects. I'm suprised it's not listed in AS...

Do not use Tea Tree Oil as a pre-shave. It is a powerful antiseptic, and a very dry astringent oil. I actually find pre-shave oils to be totally ineffective. If you need something to soften up your beard prior to shaving beyond hot water and shaving soap/cream, try Proraso Pre/post cream. I haven't found it adds anything, but many people swear by it.

Plus, isn't it expensive as all get out?

Tea tree oil? I don't think it's that expensive, I'm pretty sure I saw a good size bottle of it at whole foods once for $5-$6. If your talking about proraso pre/post, Someone actually gave me a jar of that because they didn't like it, and I guess that's a common occurrence...

I don't plan on using Tea tree oil as a pre-shave, I was just curious about what I had seen. I hadn't ever seen it suggested anywhere else, and I've come to the conclusion it must have been misplaced at the website I was talking about.

Personally, I don't find myself needing a preshave. My shave without is usually just fine. Like I said, I have the Proraso pre/post, and I use it occasionally, but mostly just to add a little bit of a menthol kick to my shave.

Do not use Tea Tree Oil as a pre-shave. It is a powerful antiseptic, and a very dry astringent oil. I actually find pre-shave oils to be totally ineffective. If you need something to soften up your beard prior to shaving beyond hot water and shaving soap/cream, try Proraso Pre/post cream. I haven't found it adds anything, but many people swear by it.

+1000.!

marty

Top Bottom