What's new

Tea Drinkers Check In

I've been a Harney & Sons tea drinker for running on 10 years now, I believe. In fact, I have a cup of Hot Cinnamon Spice next to me right now, which was my first foray into loose-leaf tea. My preference is the Chinese black teas, but I'm starting to branch out into the Ceylon teas. I like Assam, but my wife...not so much.

Not to start a flame war or anything, but I can't really abide with the teas that are usually sold to the British. The CTC (crush, tear, curl) process really turns on some bitterness that I find offputting. Give me a real leaf any time, even the Indian teas as the British drink, but the pucker is just too much for me in something like a P.G. Tips.

Robert

I am a Black Dragon Pearl fan, from Adagio Teas. A very smooth Yunan. Now that is starting to cool off hot tea is back on the menu. Otherwise it is sweet tea. I prefer, don't hate me, lipton brewed strong for iced tea.

Not to start a flame war or anything, but I can't really abide with the teas that are usually sold to the British. The CTC (crush, tear, curl) process really turns on some bitterness that I find offputting. Give me a real leaf any time, even the Indian teas as the British drink, but the pucker is just too much for me in something like a P.G. Tips.

Robert

Lashings of full cream milk sorts out the pucker, if I'm drinking my tea straight, as I ususally do, I can't abide the stuff.

I just picked up some new to me white tea that I like. Gopaldhara wonder tea from the Tea Emporium. $White_tea.jpg

I drink 4 or 5 cups a day.

A couple years ago I inherited a huge amount of mixed teas from my grandmother but they were all unlabelled. My favourite ever was among them and I have searched endlessly for it. Earl Grey but with a hint of vanilla and something else I couldn't quite place.

Is this where I do my "hello"?

My name is Kyle, and I hang out on the DE shaving part of B&B. Figured I'd venture on over here and see if there was a tea community. Yep, there is!

I prefer Assam teas with strong flavor. My favorite, which I always keep in stock, is Dinjoye Estate. The dry leaves smell like fruit, it's incredible. Six or seven minutes steeping, and it goes great with honey. Milk too, if I'm in the mood.

I've also been exploring malty CTC varieties, and my favorite so far is Kambaa from Kenya. The one currently in the cupboard is Keyhung from Assam. I steep these for at least five minutes and sweeten with white sugar. Brewing them that strong, I have to be careful of the caffeine content or it'll keep me up at night. At least that used to be the case, before the baby came. Now nothing can keep me awake at bedtime.

Not a fan of Keemun/Ximen. Its woody flavor is OK for a cool evening, but I don't think I'll be ordering any more soon.

Any suggestions for Assam-like teas to be on the lookout for?

Any suggestions for Assam-like teas to be on the lookout for?

If you look back to the first couple of posts, there's a box of Barry's gold blend tea, which is a blend of Kenyan and Assam. The loose leaf can be had online since it's an import - I don't bother with the bags from the supermarket, although they're quite common around these parts.

If you look back to the first couple of posts, there's a box of Barry's gold blend tea, which is a blend of Kenyan and Assam. The loose leaf can be had online since it's an import - I don't bother with the bags from the supermarket, although they're quite common around these parts.

I buy loose-leaf tea at a local store, anyway. I'll have to see if they have any Kenya-Assam blends. I'm not one to go for blends in general, but I've started to wonder what mine would taste like mixed together. Hmmmmmm...

Earl Grey for myself, lately Taylors of Harrogate, with a bit of heavy cream, the latter of which is an indulgence to which I was introduced many years ago.

Top Bottom