What's new

Tdf 2015

I can't believe it has taken me this long to start the thread on the most grueling sports competition of the year. If the average sports fan actually realized what these riders go through they'd be blown away, compared to most sports it seems almost cruel what these athletes do to their bodies in order to compete.

Besides the physical aspect of the sport, the tactics and teamwork is to be admired.

This year, more so that most I think due to "American we don't talk about anymore", the press and fans have been almost hostile towards many riders.

Hats tipped to Froome for professionally persevering through it all. Yes, he can thank his team for their help on the Alpe d'Huez, but he has shown what a fantastic rider he is on this edition of the TDF. The way he's taken and brushed off all the negatives thrown at him has really impressed me.

Have you seen my thread on the start of the tour, which went straight through our town? :001_smile

Froome and his team really deserve the honour ... they fought a great race!

I think people here in the U.S. have soured on the sport of bike racing because of all the doping scandals and the fact that one of the biggest American heroes in recent history was found to be a liar and a cheat.

Yes, the sport, and especially the tour, is grueling and the athletes push themselves to the limit on a daily basis, but because of the past scandals (and the apparent doping that's still happening), many people just don't care anymore. Pretty similar to what happened to baseball in the past decade or so.

Lemond was a great athlete, and probably would have won even more if he hadn't been shot. He also had a great teammate in Steve Bauer for a while.

Lemond was a great athlete, and probably would have won even more if he hadn't been shot. He also had a great teammate in Steve Bauer for a while.

Yes he was, and if I'm not mistaken, he still has some of those shotgun pellets still in his body almost 30 years later.

I think people here in the U.S. have soured on the sport of bike racing because of all the doping scandals and the fact that one of the biggest American heroes in recent history was found to be a liar and a cheat.

Yes, the sport, and especially the tour, is grueling and the athletes push themselves to the limit on a daily basis, but because of the past scandals (and the apparent doping that's still happening), many people just don't care anymore. Pretty similar to what happened to baseball in the past decade or so.

I believe you are partially correct. And isn't it wonderful that ALL of our professional and high-level amateur sports are clean and drug free...we wouldn't want to be a nation of hypocrites. :lol:

Enjoy the ride,
Jay

I believe you are partially correct. And isn't it wonderful that ALL of our professional and high-level amateur sports are clean and drug free...we wouldn't want to be a nation of hypocrites. :lol:

Enjoy the ride,
Jay

Ignorance is bliss...

No doubt that the TdF is a grueling test of man, machine, and teamwork. I am just turned off by all the doping and cheating and now could care less. Perhaps I am naïve, but that is my 2 cents.

A lot of the negativity comes from the French press - it's been 30 years since Hinault won it for the French and they feel Gallickly disgruntled. Add to that the proven issues with doping and the fact that Team Sky came in 5 years ago with tons of cash and a totally focussed approach on incremental gains (which is one reason England won the Rugby World Cup in 2003 under SCW), no one likes it. Except me. Go Froomey!

A lot of the negativity comes from the French press - it's been 30 years since Hinault won it for the French and they feel Gallickly disgruntled. Add to that the proven issues with doping and the fact that Team Sky came in 5 years ago with tons of cash and a totally focussed approach on incremental gains (which is one reason England won the Rugby World Cup in 2003 under SCW), no one likes it. Except me. Go Froomey!

Europe is more than the French; Froome has many supporters.

Top Bottom