What's new

Taylors Tub Cream (New)--Consistency

I know the new formulation of Taylors creams have been discussed ad nauseum... and this very topic may have been discussed as well, though I wasn't able to find it.

I received two tubs of taylors yesterday (avocado and st. james) and the consistency of both were pretty thin... borderline "runny." I shaved with the avocado this morning, and it lathered fine. I have heard that Taylors creams sometimes do have consistency problems, but given that both tubs were exactly the same in that regard, I am assuming that's just how they're supposed to be. Anyone else experience this, or try to do anything to firm the cream up a little?

Thanks
Drew

They are all different - it is a crapshoot. I just leave well enough alone, perhaps give a stir if it looks a bit separated. There is no effect on their performance, though.

Don't know about this, really, but I did notice a vast difference in my two taylors tubs. That leads me to think more variation in product than an overall difference with the new stuff. My Eton College, which I ordered from Classic Shaving about a month or two ago (so it should be new, right?) is very thick. The thickest cream I have, probably. My Avocado, which I just got from Pastuer, is, like yours, almost runny.

I have bought about six new tubs of St.James over the past few months, and each has had a different consistency. Old or new forumulations, this is just part of the way Taylor's is.

well, it's good to know that the quality of the lather ultimately is not affected by the original state of the cream. Given the runny consistency of this stuff, it may be a perfect time for me to try the "dip and twist" method of cream extraction... this stuff would certainly seem to lend itself well to that technique.

Drew

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
moses said:
Don't know about this, really, but I did notice a vast difference in my two taylors tubs. That leads me to think more variation in product than an overall difference with the new stuff. My Eton College, which I ordered from Classic Shaving about a month or two ago (so it should be new, right?) is very thick. The thickest cream I have, probably. My Avocado, which I just got from Pastuer, is, like yours, almost runny.

Ah, but the whole purpose of going to Pasteur's (or any B&M) is to shamelessly open the tub, insert your schnozzola, and inspect for yourself.:eek:

Of course, I was raised by wolves.

ouch said:
Ah, but the whole purpose of going to Pasteur's (or any B&M) is to shamelessly open the tub, insert your schnozzola, and inspect for yourself.:eek:

Of course, I was raised by wolves.

Oh, don't worry, I did just that actually (and my ex-girlfriend did accuse me of being raised by wolves, but....). Didn't really care about the consistency....

I have only one tub of Taylor, and its consistency is basically the same as my Coate's and Truefitt & Hill creams.

I do, however, have a hinky tub of C&E Nomad cream that came home from the store solid and somewhere along the line broke down into something resembling pancake batter. It seems to work just fine, but I have to stir it up once in a while. You're right -- It does make it very easy to dip the brush right into the tub.

Doug

Top Bottom