What's new

Taylors, T&H, and CF Cream Lubrication

rafikz said:
Bodyshop is VERY lubricating
I can only agree to that! Make sure you use sufficient amount of water (more than the traditional creams) to properly build the lather, otherwise it will dry up too soon on your face (well it did on mine).

Ashe said:
I can only agree to that! Make sure you use sufficient amount of water (more than the traditional creams) to properly build the lather, otherwise it will dry up too soon on your face (well it did on mine).

True ; even when the lather looks nice after whipping on the bowl, I find it dries a bit on the face ; nut now I have the right ratio
Otherwise, it's great when lathered (thorougly) on the face

Today while lathering with CF Lime, I decided to add a few drops of glycerin. It seemed to make a world of difference. I'll try it again tomorrow. I hope it holds true. I love the smell of CF Lime.

Khari, for me CF is the ultimate in shave creams. I have some that are close, but none surpass it's performance for me. I really don't think there is better/worse situation with these top shelf shave lathers. It's really more akin to what matches up with your skin/beard type. While I like Taylor's creams, I find them no different in performance than say, T&H or Trumper. I will say that so far, CF and Trumper have been the most consistent product from batch to batch that I've tried. Taylor's varies the most in consistency followed by Salter's in my experience. Again, this is all subjective. CF lavender works with my beard like no other. YMMV.

Regards, Todd

This is a great thread and I'm sorry I missed it before.

I bought a tub of Truefitt and Hills West Indian Limes. I've shaved with it now three times and I must say that it doesn't seem to lubricate as well as C&E Sweet Almond Oil or Proraso for that matter. It makes lather like a mad dog but it doesn't seem to be very slippery. I'm going to keep using it though to see if it's something in my technique, either making lather or shaving that's causing the problem.

I will say that on my third try I got a very good shave using my Merkur Classic Long Handle with several passes and really taking my time. I guess you have to adjust to all the products you use and know their characteristics.

I also like what is mentioned here about different creams working differently for the various skin types. Good to remember.

Hey Jim. I like that Sweet Almond Oil cream too. Works like a champ for me. I also believe you are very close to the only "absolute" truth about all this shave lather business. Each products is a bit different and thus wants its own hydration routine. I've found that T&H is better for me when I use 5/8 to 3/4 tsp. of cream as opposed to the 1/4 for CF or 1/2 tsp. of Taylor or Trumper. Does this make it "worse" than those creams because I use more? I don't look at it that way. These tubs last so long I catch myself hoping I'll get through them quicker so I can try another scent. So it's not a big problem for me. Another thing I've found with the T&H cream is that I get better results when I start off with it a bit thick and add water a few drops at a time and keep working it in thoroughly. This leads to a much creamier lather. So it's a bit more lathering work but the results are worth it. I've found this to work well with Salter, Tabac, and Omega creams. Just work the water in slower and very thoroughly.

Regards, Todd

Thanks Todd, you put it into words better than I can.

Also thanks for the great info on T&H regarding the amount of water you put in. That's probably where I'm going wrong right now. I'll start off with less water and then find the slippery sweet spot by adding a drop or so at a time.

Top Bottom