What's new

Taylors, T&H, and CF Cream Lubrication

So I've aquired a few samples of different 'high end' creams and I'm wondering if anyone else can relate to my experience.

I started out with Taylor's and a C&E best badger. Since then I've greatly improved my lather technique generally adding a few drops of hot water at a time and getting a good crop of lather from an almond sized drop of cream.

My Taylor's soaps all lather very nicely, but more importantly it lubricates my face amazingly. The razor glides very well accross my face making it much easier to tell if I have my angle right.

The other day I lathered up a sample of T&H 1805 and I got a giant cup of lather but it didn't lubricate my face nearly as well as my Taylor's did. After shaving I thought maybe I hadn't added enough water so thought I'd try something different with a non-Taylor the next morning.

This morning I lathered up a sample of Castle Forbes Lime and I added water between passes to test out the lubrication for different cream/water ratios. None of the ratios seemed to lubricate my face like the Taylor's usually does. It was much harder to shave with the CF and the T&H because of this (maybe because I'm not so good with blade angle yet).

In any case, I'm wondering if others have had this experience as well and also if different varieties within brands lubricate differently.

On another note, by my third pass my brush is not quite as moist as I would like, but I fear adding water to the brush for fear of messing up my ratio. Any tips on how to keep the brush really moist throughout the shave while maintaining the right cream/water ratio?

Cheers,

John

John,

Just add more water if it feels too dry. Almost all of the creams can take a lot of water before being ruined.

-joedy

Somehow I feel like thats not it. I added watter progressively during the shave and tried it at all consistencies. Only when the cream was ultra watery did it not seem to rub my face, but at this point I could not have an opaque layer of cream on my face, just a watery film.

It could be hard water, I sometimes use a boiled filtered (ionised) water for shaving. It can make a great deal of difference if you're in a hard water area.

Another thing, if the brush is new give it a good shampooing, your regular shampoo will be fine. This should remove any manufacturing residue that might be on the brush.

I find CF among the least slick and moisturizing creams I own. Go figure. I'll take Taylor or AOS lavender instead, thank you very much.

Head and Shoulders is fine, just rinse it thorougly after you do it so there's not a trace left in the brush. At least the brush won't have dandruff! :biggrin:

Just out of interest, what brush are you using?

C&E Best Badger.

I don't think its a brush problem as I can get good lubricated shaves from it with Taylor's. I could be wrong, but I've tried really hard to rule out my lathering technique and cream/water ratio. I'll wash my brush and see what comes of it.

My first pass was with only the water from the brush plus maybe 4 drops of hot water. The lather was thick and opaque on my face, but still not well lubricating.

Today I lathered up with some Trumpers and my lather was as good and as lubricating as my Taylor's. I'm going to try the CF one more time for good measure, but I'm thinking that I'll have a film canister (minus two small uses) of CF lime that I'd be willing to toss someone's way. Either that or I'll throw it in for a trade with a tub of proraso preshave cream that I don't use very much.

In any case, I'm going to echo Scotto's remarks in the lavender thread and say that the CF smells nice enough and lathers like a champ, but doens't give me a good shave.

Hi John
I make soaps and am just branching into shaving soaps. I would love to have your sample if you really want to get rid of it. I am making hard and cream shaving soaps but have no exposure to what they should be like consistancey wise. If you have any other samples that you will not use I would love to have those also.
Send me a PM and I will send you my address if this is ok with you. Should you decide to try the soaps I make in future your kindness will be remembered.
J

jbasl said:
In any case, I'm wondering if others have had this experience as well and also if different varieties within brands lubricate differently.John

Taylor's and Trumper's seem to lubricate more than DR Harris for me. In fact, once I make a pass with the Harris that's it, I need more lather to go back over the area, other creams seem to be more forgiving in this regard. AOS is probably on par with the Taylor's. T&H Ultimate Comfort beats them all in terms of lubricity(very easy to lather also), it is the slickest cream I've used to date.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I had to comment. I tried a sample of CF Lavender last night and was absolutely appalled by its lack of lubricity. I lathered it up four times in four different ways and got the same results each time. It literally felt like I was dry shaving. I even changed the blade in my Merkur to make sure I wasn't using a dull one. It's a shame, too, because I really enjoy the smell of the cream. There's not one thing about the scent of CF Lavender that is feminine.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
This would all be difficult enough it were only about the efficacy of creams from one producer to another.

It gets dicier because there are marked differences in performance within specific lines. Here are some examples, some of which may be considered axiomatic-

Trumper's coconut oil is slicker than their other blends.
Taylor's avocado is the most cushioning of their line.
T&H lime (okay, and their rose) are thicker than their somewhat thin and limp breathren.

Is this a bad thing? No! Now you have to try them all.:tongue_sm

I too have found CF to be subpar in terms of lubrication. I wonder if adding a little glycerin to the mixture will improve things...

ouch said:
This would all be difficult enough it were only about the efficacy of creams from one producer to another.

It gets dicier because there are marked differences in performance within specific lines. Here are some examples, some of which may be considered axiomatic-

Trumper's coconut oil is slicker than their other blends.
Taylor's avocado is the most cushioning of their line.
T&H lime (okay, and their rose) are thicker than their somewhat thin and limp breathren.

Is this a bad thing? No! Now you have to try them all.:tongue_sm

Nope, not all of them. I loathe the smell of coconut. Don't know why but i just do. I could probably deal with any others but nothing with a coconut smell.
:biggrin:

For me T&H 1805, Trafalgar and Rose lubricate just fine. I have also tried Talyor's and Trumper's and they lubricate just as well. I always use pre-shave cream(Proraso) which in my case helps me a great deal to soften the stubble and lubricate. This morning I was in a hurry and forgot to use the preshave cream and boy did I notice the difference and I used Taylor's Rose. Again everyone is different.

Rafael

I found the Castle Forbes to be very disappointing. Having previously used Taylors, Trumpers, and T&H creams, all of which gave a great lather producing a very comfortable shave I was looking foward to trying what I believed would be the creme de la creme. While the scent was divine, it felt like I was drawing the blade across damp rubber rather than a nicely lubricated face. I tried to dilute the cream a bit and it did help, but it still wasn't comfortable. Plenty of people have had favourable results from this cream, so I can only conclude that the CF creams may be more susceptible to the effects of hard water than some of the other brands. While I could solve this issue with filters or bottled water, Taylors make an equally nice lavender cream for a fraction the cost, and their cream doesn't necessitate any extra hassle. Thankfully I availed of Scotto's sample offer before shelling out €30 for a full pot.

Top Bottom