What's new

Taylor's of Old Bond Street - scent too strong : \

As I posted on the other thread, Taylors scents are an anathema to me (they seem either artificial or old fashioned in not a nice way), and I particularly despise the sandalwood as it smells like stale woodshavings and stale tobacco. The only cream of theirs I can get along with is the almond, but I think there are better almond creams about.

Trumper sandalwood is more of a pure sandalwood oil scent and not unpelasant, but I feel it needs something else to give it more bite. My favourite Sandalwood is Cyril Salter.

Glad I found this post. I got a sample of TOBS Sandalwood from Garry and I find the scent pleasant. Now I really want to try the other TOBS scents, so an order at Shoebox seems to be in order!

This thread is a prime example of how YMMV. Here we have a cream with a very distinct scent from a well known shaving product maker with feeling of strong dislike to liking of the product. I feel it may be that the sandalwood that TOBS produces is more an old timey scent and not a true sandalwood which may not sit well with some noses. Both my wife and I really like the scent but we are kinda' old timey ourselves. When I run out of the TOBS sandalwood cream, AS(balm) and cologne I have I will surely restock them.

Of the "sandalwood" creams that I've smelled, TOBS is the worst and T&H is my favorite. TOBS is like soapy old lady perfume, while T&H is amazing to my nose.

+1 for the Avocado. Very nice.

I think that the Avocado is too strongly scented (as is the Sandalwood). I gave away my Sandalwood and finally finished my Avocado tub and will not be reloading. Performance is very good though. I think that the strong fragrance would not be an issue for bowl latherers. I face lather and notice that once the cream is fully lathered the overpowering fragrance has lessened quite a bit.

My TOBS experience is limited to two scents. Lavender and Sandlewood. I like the Sandlewood best and will most likely keep some of it around at all times. The Lavender is ok but not something I would buy more of when its gone.

I had a very rare brush after using the rose.....the ever elusive PINK tipped badger

That is very interesting! I have been shaving with rose, lavender and violet shave creams for years with silvertip brushes and have never had any problems with brush discoloration. I wonder if you are rinsing your brush enough after use.

Regards,

Doug

Pif it and buy something else! That sandalwood is strong, no way you can tame it. Jermyn st. has a nice modern scent, I would recommend.

I got someone a bowl of the tobs sandalwood from their shop in Jermyn street and it smelt amazing.
I decided to get myself a bowl and got it from amazon UK (seller was also amazon) and it hardly smells.
Has anyone else had bowls of tobs sandalwood smell stronger then another.
I did wonder if it was a fake or just old stock as label different to one I got friend.

I got someone a bowl of the tobs sandalwood from their shop in Jermyn street and it smelt amazing.
I decided to get myself a bowl and got it from amazon UK (seller was also amazon) and it hardly smells.
Has anyone else had bowls of tobs sandalwood smell stronger then another.
I did wonder if it was a fake or just old stock as label different to one I got friend.

Could be old stock. I picked up a bowl of Mr Taylor Cream while I was there and it seems stronger then one that I have had sitting for a while.

Hi all,

As there don't seem to be any local stores that I can sample the scents of the products first, I recently bought a shaving cream based off a friend's recommendation. Taylor's of Old Bond Street Sandalwood scent

My wife hates it as it's way too strong for her. Is there any way to get the heavy scent out of the cream? It's a great product for lather but the scent is a deal breaker.

Just curious...

Thanks,
I find it overpowering, too. But their other creams - like St. James, Lavender, Grapefruit, - are absolutely delightful.

Oh man, don't ruin or waste that cream! Trade it to someone who likes it. There are lighter or even unscented creams out there that someone could surely trade you. I'm always interested in stronger scented creams. TOBS sandalwood is the best selling cream on Amazon.

If you like the lathering of British creams, check out St. James of London. They have an unscented one. And Piccadilly shaving company also has an unscented one. I wouldn't be surprised if they were all made by the same Creighton's base as TOBS. Real Shaving Co has an unscented cream that is also made by Creightons.

Top Bottom