What's new

Taylors Creams... Question

I owned Taylors Rose early on in my wet shaving career. I don't know if it was inexperience, or the cream itself, but it just didn't work that great for me. I'm tempted to give those creams another try. I would like your gents opinions on what you feel are the best scents, and which creams are the most efficacious. I've read the reviews (I think they were done by Scotto). Those were helpful, but I'm hoping to get more people's feedback here.

Thanks
Drew

Drew,

I have Taylor's rose, Eaton College, St. James and Sandalwood. They all lather equally well and are a pleasure to shave with. I love the scents and the lather! I lather the cream in a mug and then work it on my face! Great stuff!

If you look at the histogram in the sample thread, it may give you an idea of what people's favorites are in the Taylors lineup. Personally, I would give the nod to St. James, Lavender, and Almond in that order. All shave great.

Drew,

If the experience was'nt that great, maybe you could post specifically what you are disappointed with in the shave.

I have Taylor's Mr. Taylor, Shaving Shop, St. James, and Eton College. I had Almond, but I prefer the scent of Crabtree & Evelyn. I have had a great experience with all of my ToOBS shaving creams.

Randy

Drew said:
I owned Taylors Rose early on in my wet shaving career. I don't know if it was inexperience, or the cream itself, but it just didn't work that great for me. I'm tempted to give those creams another try. I would like your gents opinions on what you feel are the best scents, and which creams are the most efficacious. I've read the reviews (I think they were done by Scotto). Those were helpful, but I'm hoping to get more people's feedback here.

Thanks
Drew
Drew,
I have Shaving Shop and St. James. Both scents are nice. In my opinion, they are sort of clean, soapy-type scents. They are awesome creams in the way of lathering, probably easier to use than T&H or Trumpers. Being a fan of MamaBear soap, you may be disappointed in the scents I listed here, but they are good, easy to use creams.
-Fred

I have Eton College, St. James, Mr. Taylors, Shaving Shop, Avocado, Rose and Lavender...

Almond is coming soon.

As for which is the best? Avocado leaves my face feeling the best...I really enjoy the rose but the others still work very well. It depends on how I am feeling that morning. There is not one that I don't like.

Thank you for the reminder...I have to reach to the back of my shaving cream shelf because I haven't used Eton College and Shaving Shop in a while and enjoy them both.

These are all old formulations....and if forced to choose 2 it would be Avocado and Rose.

Regards,

Having tried 6 different Taylor creams, I think they are my favorite of the 3 T's. The avocado is great stuff!

To date I have tried only one of the Taylors creams - Avocado. I love this cream... the fresh scent, the smooth feeling... it is absolutely fantastic. In fact, I like this one so much that I have ordered 4 more Taylors creams (Rose, Lavender, Lemon&Lime and Sandalwood). I can't wait to try these.

For those of you who have tried the taylors sandalwood cream, what are your thoughts? To what other cream does the scent compare? I really like the scent of trumpers sandalwood, which to me smells quite different than Salters (which I think smells of cinammon, a bit). From what I have read, Salters and Vulfix (which I haven't used) probably have similar scents. Where does the taylors sandalwood stack up? thanks

Drew

Avocado without a doubt gives me the best shaves but is one of my least favorite scents. Still, this is my go to cream. My favorite scent is the lavender, with rose a close second. Both give very good results also.
Cheers,
Jeff

Drew said:
For those of you who have tried the taylors sandalwood cream, what are your thoughts? To what other cream does the scent compare? I really like the scent of trumpers sandalwood, which to me smells quite different than Salters (which I think smells of cinammon, a bit). From what I have read, Salters and Vulfix (which I haven't used) probably have similar scents. Where does the taylors sandalwood stack up? thanks

Drew
Personally, I dislike the Taylors sandalwood scent, and it is one of the few Taylor tubs I don't keep around. It has a very dry, musty aroma. Reminds me of grandma's attic.... Nothing at all like the sweet Trumpers or the gingery Vulfix.

Oddly, I've only used Taylor's in samples obtained from friends (thanks, Kyle), but have some of my very best shaves with their Avocado, Lavender and Rose shave creams.

Guess I need to buy some, eh?:wink:

Drew,

Taylors Sandalwood is wonderful! It's not strictly Sandalwood like QED soap but rather a blend of different scents, which makes it complex! Below is the description from the QED website:

"Exotic Sandalwood and Cedar are blended with Lavender and Rosemary along with a touch of Jasmine and Rose for a vivacious and enticing yet confidently masculine lightly scented shaving cream."

I love the smell of pure sandalwood but I also love the complex scent of Taylor's Sandalwood cream. Although it says "lightly scented", I would say it is more than a light scent.

Steve

Top Bottom