What's new

Taylor's Avocado Cream - Identifying the Scent

I just received a tub of Taylor's Avocado cream yesterday, and thus haven't had an opportunity to use it enough to review it on the review thread (and didn't want to rate with 0s for every category)

It has a rather peculiar smell - not that I don't like it, but it was bothering me since I was trying to identify the scent. I instantly thought it was just a generic "floral" scent, and then I had an epiphany...it reminded me of a freshly carved pumpkin. Maybe it's been way too long since I've carved out a jack-o-lantern, but that's what it reminds me of. Too bad I don't have a pumpkin to compare the scent to.

What do you guys think? Or is my nose just not functioning correctly?:001_rolle

edit: I'm assuming that I received the new formula, unless classicshaving.com still has stocks of the old formula.

Zachary, I never thought of pumpkin when I smelled Taylors Avocado. Maybe not too far off the mark. It certainly has a fresh scent unlike the other Taylor creams. I also have the new formulation.

BTW, welcome to B&B.

It's been too long since I've smelled raw pumpkin for me to agree/disagree. The only smell I can associate with pumkin is pumkin pie (thanks, now I'm hungry).

Thank you, Scotto. JUNIPER is what I've been smelling that I couldn't put a finger on. At last, I can rest easy.

now that i think about it, it kind of does smell like raw pumpkin. i haven't smelled the NEW in awhile as i've been using the OLD but i will check it out. i might mix the two together.

Zachary, if you're still following this thread:when I first smelled the Avocado (before lathering it up) I was reminded of the fake-cucumber scent of, for example, the eShave cream.... After and during the lather, I think more of the underlying scents of the cream came out, so that I was able to get the rest of the authentically organic scents.

(As for the pumpkin connotation, I'd like to suggest that none of us try to carve out a "MAN-o-lantern"- 40 Yr. Old Virgin, anyone?

I'm considering buying this - I've read a couple of positive reveiws here and elsewhere - but interested in hearing more - is this stuff worth adding to my collection of Poraso, T&H Unscented, Trumpers Violet and C&E Almond???

Given what other shave creams I own - what would this one do the others don't?

Pilot said:
I'm considering buying this - I've read a couple of positive reveiws here and elsewhere - but interested in hearing more - is this stuff worth adding to my collection of Poraso, T&H Unscented, Trumpers Violet and C&E Almond???

Other than give you a great shave, offer your senses an incredibly crisp, fresh scent to enjoy, and thrill you with its lather, probably nothing.

Pilot said:

IMHO, Yes. Not that your other creams won't do the following, but...
  • It is a unique and pleasant scent.
  • It almost explodes into a lather.
  • It provides a fantastic lubricating barrier.
  • It moisturizes the skin.

I find it to be an absolute top-notch product that is matched by very few. Besides enjoying it for its great qualities, it is also the cream I reach for whenever my face is a little beat up from a previous bad shave.

At the very worst, if for some reason it doesn't suit you, you could sell/trade it here and probably move it in a few hours.

I haven't been wet shaving for very long, but it's the only cream I've run out of so far. I like it that much.

Ok I'm sold...this whole wetshaving venture has led to all the creams previously mentioned, 4 razors, 3 brands of blades, 4 aftershave balms...well what the hell - you only live once.

Pilot said:
Ok I'm sold...this whole wetshaving venture has led to all the creams previously mentioned, 4 razors, 3 brands of blades, 4 aftershave balms...well what the hell - you only live once.
Excellent! If you like it half as much as I do, you'll be pleased with your purchase.

Just got a new tub from QED. Used in combination with Proraso Pre/post. Unbelievable shave. VEry smooth. not the usual trouble in the Neck Area. Also tried the Merkur Blades after a long time. So it could be all of these things that gave a very nice shave. Are the feathers baldes just as good?

Top Bottom