What's new

Taylor of Old Bond Street Scents - Comprehensive Review (TOBS)

Thank you, I found the Avocado to smell like cucumber, which I was looking for, and it lathered real easy. After your reviews I am now interested in the Almond and possibly the peppermint or sandal wood.

By chance have you tried and reviewed Truefitt and Hills yet?

Last edited:
Awesome post!! I just placed my first order for 2 soaps, the coconut and Eaton College. I'm looking forward to trying them both!
Also a newbie question: are these soaps tallow or glycerine based? My face tends to do better with tallow based like Arko and Williams.

Awesome post!! I just placed my first order for 2 soaps, the coconut and Eaton College. I'm looking forward to trying them both!
Also a newbie question: are these soaps tallow or glycerine based? My face tends to do better with tallow based like Arko and Williams.

Maggards has an ingredient list: See Here

It appears to be Palm oil as the primary ingredient, and Glycerin next.

I have not tried T&H yet. Given my current restraints, it may be a bit until they get a chance.

Thank you, I found the Avocado to smell like cucumber, which I was looking for, and it lathered real easy. After your reviews I am now interested in the Almond and possibly the peppermint or sandal wood.

Thanks for a really useful thread!

I had been thinking about doing the grand tour of TOBS samples myself in a few months and your review has me looking forward to that. Of course I have a few other items on the list to get to first...

I received a bowl of the Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood, and have used it yesterday and today.

It lathered very easily, I used a Semogue 1305 boar yesterday, and a TGN best badger today. I wet th epuck a little, and then load up the brush, start lathering in my scuttle, and finish building the lather on my face. I found it to be quick to get a rich slick lather. The scent is different than my TOBS Sandalwood. The T&H to me seems a drier scent, with a mix of sandalwood and cologne.

very nice.

I have not tried T&H yet. Given my current restraints, it may be a bit until they get a chance.

Please tell me you are just in the April restraint and not in the quarterly restraint. I will be looking forward to seeing your reviews in another thread. Yours was just the first that I had seen with all the different scents laid out by one person comparing each one in a single post, which I found easy to follow and informative without interruption.

Hoping this one doesn't get sidetracked with other brands, it wasn't my intention.

A little bit of an update. I really wanted to like the grapefruit scent, as it is such a wonderful smell. I've tried it a couple of more times, and I still have the same impressions of the lather. It's just an unstable lather, one that I haven't seen in other TOBS. Maybe it has something to do with the citrus oils, but it begins to break down almost immediately. I did find that adding glycerin to the cream greatly helped. While it didn't halt the cream from breaking down, it did thwart it enough to provide a great shave. I like this smell so much, that I will likely buy it again, and just use a squirt of glycerin anytime I lather it up.

Top Bottom