What's new

Taylor of Old Bond Street- Sandalwood Shaving Cream (Review)

Got it the other day and it smells exactly the same. Creamier than my current jar but after 6 years I'm not surprised that it's dried out quite a bit. Used it yesterday though (the old stuff) and it still works great even though it's more of a croap now.

I’ve only started DE shaving a couple of weeks ago and have been primarily using the Proraso Green. But I would like to have more than one soap in my collection for a choice.

I’m thinking of going with a Sandalwood theme, and I would probably go with the TOBS Sandalwood, Proraso Red (Sandalwood) pre shave, and Proraso Red aftershave to have a nice Sandalwood shave/theme. Not too badly priced either the TOBS on looking online.

I’ve only started DE shaving a couple of weeks ago and have been primarily using the Proraso Green. But I would like to have more than one soap in my collection for a choice.

I’m thinking of going with a Sandalwood theme, and I would probably go with the TOBS Sandalwood, Proraso Red (Sandalwood) pre shave, and Proraso Red aftershave to have a nice Sandalwood shave/theme. Not too badly priced either the TOBS on looking online.
Proraso Green and TOBS Sandalwood are the all-time classics. I will always have them around. These are the first two every wet shaver should start with.

I love me some Sandalwood. Love! But I just couldn't get into this product. I bought it with so much hope and aspiration only to find the scent bothered me somehow, and the product irritated my skin.

Odd.

I love me some Sandalwood. Love! But I just couldn't get into this product. I bought it with so much hope and aspiration only to find the scent bothered me somehow, and the product irritated my skin.

Odd.

I thought I was the only person on the planet who couldn't grok with TOOBS Sandalwood. I love the scent, but I cannot get a good shave, no matter what. I've tried for 12 months, different brushes, different blades, and I have not had one good shave. Always red and irritated. My other creams (Proraso green, Lush Prince, Nivea Sensitive, Body Shop Maca Root) all work so much better. I just don't understand why. I really wanted to love the TOOBS.

I thought I was the only person on the planet who couldn't grok with TOOBS Sandalwood. I love the scent, but I cannot get a good shave, no matter what. I've tried for 12 months, different brushes, different blades, and I have not had one good shave. Always red and irritated. My other creams (Proraso green, Lush Prince, Nivea Sensitive, Body Shop Maca Root) all work so much better. I just don't understand why. I really wanted to love the TOOBS.
I’m sure this isn’t your issue but if TOBS isn’t wet enough on the face than it doesn’t work as well. When I get lazy and it’s almost, paste like, I’ve noticed shaves that aren’t as good.

@Pappa Piccolino Is it the slickness or something in the fragrance irritating your skin? I shaved with TOBS Peppermint yesterday and had a wonderful shave. Add more water or try TOBS Peppermint, Grapefruit, Eaton College or Avocado.

I really like the smell. But similar to other gents, the cream irritates my face. Too bad, it’d be up there as my favorite cream. (Although I generally stick to soaps now).

St James of London also gave me quite a bit of irritation.

@Pappa Piccolino Is it the slickness or something in the fragrance irritating your skin? I shaved with TOBS Peppermint yesterday and had a wonderful shave. Add more water or try TOBS Peppermint, Grapefruit, Eaton College or Avocado.
Peppermint is one of my favorites along with the lemon. IF the weather ever warms up I enjoy Stirling spearmint AS along with the peppermint, and clubman lime sec with the lemon scent.

I guess I could see how some would experience irritation. Luckily I haven’t ran across anything that causes irritation except for Feather blades. Cause they suck lol.

I’m sure this isn’t your issue but if TOBS isn’t wet enough on the face than it doesn’t work as well. When I get lazy and it’s almost, paste like, I’ve noticed shaves that aren’t as good.

Thanks D1dad and discerningbev.

@discerningbev. I'm not sure what it is that irritates my skin. If it's the sandalwood, then I would assume that all Sandalwood creams and soaps would be a no go.

I used the TOOBS sandalwood yesterday with a Feather blade. The mix was quite thick, and it was a terrible shave. I will give it one more try with a new Personna Blue blade (my current favourite) and a runnier mix, and see how I go. This will be the 7th or 8th time I've tried, and this doesn't work, I'll just have to accept that this product isn't for me.

Thanks gents.

Thanks D1dad and discerningbev.

@discerningbev. I'm not sure what it is that irritates my skin. If it's the sandalwood, then I would assume that all Sandalwood creams and soaps would be a no go.

I used the TOOBS sandalwood yesterday with a Feather blade. The mix was quite thick, and it was a terrible shave. I will give it one more try with a new Personna Blue blade (my current favourite) and a runnier mix, and see how I go. This will be the 7th or 8th time I've tried, and this doesn't work, I'll just have to accept that this product isn't for me.

Thanks gents.

Yes, thick is not a word I would use to describe TOBS Sandalwood, unless it needed more water. TOBS should be quite slick. It’s one of my easiest to lather products.

Yes, thick is not a word I would use to describe TOBS Sandalwood, unless it needed more water. TOBS should be quite slick. It’s one of my easiest to lather products.
Agreed. If it’s pasty you really aren’t getting the full benefit, which is easy to do. I don’t have the product dripping down my face, but it’s does need to be thinned out to work properly.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Used this morning, oddly enough.

Mine's three years old, and still strongly-scented.

Where it shines is superslickness when rinsing ... when water hits this, it turns into a skating rink.

AA

It just might have the best sandalwood scent of any cream on the market. All sandalwoods have a unique scent, but its hard not to like TOBS version.

This is my go-to shaving cream. Surprisingly, since I've started DE shaving 8 years ago I have NEVER (I repeat NEVER) used anything other than TOBS. I've tried the avocado once, it was ok. Not quite my scent. The sandalwood is all I use, and I have five tubs of it in my bathroom.

Definitely go easy on the water. After letting my brush soak I give the bristles a light squeeze, two shakes, empty my lather bowl, three seconds of light swirls in the tub just enough to get the tips of the brush, and it lathers perfectly right. You really don't need much product, or water, to create a beautiful lather. A little goes a long way. A tub lasts me a very long time.

In my experience any signs of bubbles in the lather is a sure sign it's over watered. This happened a lot when I first started using it until I slowly figured out it was able to create a creamy lather with just a little water.

Top Bottom