What's new

Taylor of Old Bond Street Rose vs Geo F Trumpers Rose

Hello,

I've become a big fan of the rose scented shaving soaps, my container of Geo F Trumpers Rose is pretty much gone now, about two maybe three shaves remain, I was looking to replace it with another rose scent, but I want to stay with a cream, anyone have an opinion on the Taylor of Old Bond Street Rose, and or if there's another good rose cream out there, please let me know cause I'm willing and open to try something different.

Hello,

I've become a big fan of the rose scented shaving soaps, my container of Geo F Trumpers Rose is pretty much gone now, about two maybe three shaves remain, I was looking to replace it with another rose scent, but I want to stay with a cream, anyone have an opinion on the Taylor of Old Bond Street Rose, and or if there's another good rose cream out there, please let me know cause I'm willing and open to try something different.
This is word for word, from my reviews of the TOBS and DRH lineups.

TOBS Rose:
Rose:

Tier: Excellent

One of my favourite offerings from TOBS. A nice rose scent that is very botanical, floral, fresh and clean. The accompanying scents add a lightly spiced, earthy and woody base that is just subtle enough to add to the overall experience instead of taking away from the rose. It is still a masculine scent and since it is a shaving cream you aren’t going to be smelling of it for long anyway. Stop and smell the roses, this is fantastic! Formulation contains rose extract too, but performance is standard for TOBS. Love this scent, love how its slightly pink (makes it fun from the bland white creams). Not too sweet, but stereotypically correct for a nice, healthy rose.

DRH Rose:
Rose:

Tier: Good

If you like floral scents, you will like this rose scent. Reminiscent of a Turkish delight and is a little more flowery than its TOBS counterpart. There isn’t anything else present in its scent or formulation as in there isn’t really anything else in it, it is just pure rose. I found it a little feminine but it’s just a shave cream anyway. This is a sweet-scented cream that lathers well, and I found to actually be a little bit more soothing and moisturising than any of the other in the line-up. Maybe rose extract and oil helps in this regard but I definitely noticed that my skin was more moisturised and hydrated (but not oily) compared to the others. I suppose that technically makes the performance of this product better with enhanced post-shave feel. It also has a deep pink colour (artificial) which dyed my brush straight away after one use. Still not a fan of artificial colouring, I’d prefer to keep the cream as natural as possible, but it is cool to see the pink cream on the brush explode into lightly tinted lather. I prefer TOBS rose scent wise but this has better performance and post-shave. I feel like for daily use that this would get a tad boring compared to TOBS rose which has a more complex scent.

The colour will wash out of the brush with continued use after you stop using the cream, so it won't permanently stain your brush. At least from my experience. They're both good value creams (way cheaper than GFT) and you can't really go wrong. If you like a purer, sweeter rose go with DRH. If you like a more complex, less sweet rose go with TOBS. The difference between the two is minimal at best. Honestly, the scents just have different top notes. Performance by the DRH cream is also better but again, not by much.

Reactions: nav

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I’ve been tempted to try tobs rose. However I have a high level of disgust for lilac. (Usually heavy floral isn’t my thing) any lilac in the scent?

I had a TOBS rose soap. Lovely aroma but I could not get it to lather for love nor money. Tried for weeks. Boar, badger, horse hair, synthetic brushes, lots of water, little water, bloomed, scraped - you name it. I had the same problem with their Sandalwood. Both ended up as shower soap. I love their creams - not their soaps. Only me, of course. As with all things, YMMV.

I had a TOBS rose soap. Lovely aroma but I could not get it to lather for love nor money. Tried for weeks. Boar, badger, horse hair, synthetic brushes, lots of water, little water, bloomed, scraped - you name it. I had the same problem with their Sandalwood. Both ended up as shower soap. I love their creams - not their soaps. Only me, of course. As with all things, YMMV.

yeah I've heard the soap is tough to get going, however I'm all about the creams in the containers with the screw on lids, that's what I like and use when it comes to creams.

I have both the TOBS Rose and the GFT Rose. To my nose, the TOBS is a dry, earthy, very faint, powdery rose while the GFT rose is a more pronounced, sweeter more floral/woody rose, very much like the DR Harris Rose.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
CRS cream. I have Wild Rose, Indian Sandalwood and French Vetiver. My take on the CRS Rose scent below.

The scent. This wonderful scent. They really nailed it.

This is the scent in the tub.

Red_Rosebud_With_Raindrops_(216494517).jpg

This is the scent as I was lathering.

Dark-Red-Rose-Wallpaper_thumb.jpg

The more its lathered the more it opens up, but its more than that. Lathering for my third pass it hit me. Its more than just a simple rose. Its a rose garden.

451743282_1280x720.jpg

I had to concentrate a bit and think about it, but I could detect that rich deep moisture, the green of the leaves and even the fresh clean dirt. Its incredible. The only downside is, and this may only be a downside for me, it doesnt linger much at all.

I find the performance of CRS tied for #1 on my shelf with Wickham 1912 and SV. I cant find much between them performance wise to pick from. CRS scents however are spectacular. They come in a 5.8oz tub, thats a lot of cream and they arent expensive. Dec.7 2018 was my first shave with that tub of Rose. I still have some left and use it often. I'll get two full years from each tub in my rotation with Wickham, SV, P&B, Cella Bio, Vitos and PdP 63.

I've used both Trumpers and CF creams and, personally, I find CRS well above them in performance.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
CRS cream. I have Wild Rose, Indian Sandalwood and French Vetiver. My take on the CRS Rose scent below.

I find the performance of CRS tied for #1 on my shelf with Wickham 1912 and SV. I cant find much between them performance wise to pick from. CRS scents however are spectacular. They come in a 5.8oz tub, thats a lot of cream and they arent expensive. Dec.7 2018 was my first shave with that tub of Rose. I still have some left and use it often. I'll get two full years from each tub in my rotation with Wickham, SV, P&B, Cella Bio, Vitos and PdP 63.

I've used both Trumpers and CF creams and, personally, I find CRS well above them in performance.
Thanks wow ! That nails it I’m calling my broker. Buy! I don’t have any rose scents so this fills that void. I’ll get sandalwood too.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks wow ! That nails it I’m calling my broker. Buy! I don’t have any rose scents so this fills that void. I’ll get sandalwood too.

The CRS scents are true and accurate, not powdery and not perfumy. The Sandalwood lingers really well too. I can smell it hours after shaving but its not offensive or tiring at all. Laid back but present, I really like that cream. Their rose doesnt linger much at all and the Vetiver lingers a bit but not as long as the sandalwood.

Sir andromeda673, congrats on finishing your tub of GFT rose! While I only used a sample of that many moons ago, I recall it was a decent rose cream. Nowadays, we're fortunate to have a nice variety of rose-centric shave creams to choose from! It will be a very subjective matter, and you might just have to do some testing on your own to find the one that suits you the best! Have a fun trip!

rose creams.jpg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
The CRS scents are true and accurate, not powdery and not perfumy. The Sandalwood lingers really well too. I can smell it hours after shaving but its not offensive or tiring at all. Laid back but present, I really like that cream. Their rose doesnt linger much at all and the Vetiver lingers a bit but not as long as the sandalwood.
With all the stuff I’ve amassed crs falls into the I’ve totally missed that or wasn’t aware of the brand. Another way it’s a deep rabbit hole 🕳

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
With all the stuff I’ve amassed crs falls into the I’ve totally missed that or wasn’t aware of the brand. Another way it’s a deep rabbit hole 🕳

CRS Wild Rose won the, I think, 2014 B&B Shave Cream Award. I bought my Rose right after reading the B&B review of it. When the forum was last updated we lost that Awards section.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I’ve always had a tub of TOBS rose cream in my den. That is until I got Laverder for a change of pace then promptly got B&M lavender reserve soap. I hate it when that happens. Now I miss the Rose. Very soothing shave, too. I think rose has positive skin properties, but I not an expert on that. Get you some TOBS rose.

Top Bottom