What's new

Taylor of old bond street, plastic container/cream or wooden bowl/puck

So I have been eye balling a new Sandalwood for fall/winter, and of course everyone here says Taylor of Old Bond Street, I have burned through the Proraso Red and really liked it, but I would like to try something different. So I made the decision that I think I'm going to go with Taylor of Old Bond St. What do you guys like better, the puck form in the wooden bowl, or the cream.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have only had the cream, which I liked. However, I would think the puck would last longer. The cream went rather quickly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have not tried TOBS hard soaps. From what I have read, TOBS and GF Trumper creams are better than their soaps. In contrast, DR Harris hard soaps tend to be better than their creams. Thus, I would suggest you pick up a tub of TOBS sandalwood cream. That is also a cheaper option than purchasing the wooden shave bowl and hard puck. Although I do use it for shaving occasionally, I find the best use for TOBS sandalwood is breaking in a new badger or boar brush as the strong scent soon overcomes the scent of the natural hair.

I have evaluated about 50 soap and cream formulations and currently have about 150 soaps in my rotation (enough to last for many years). I find that TOBS, GFT, and DRH are good products, but there are far better products available. I suggest you read some of the threads in the shaving soap sub-forum to find options you might like. There are just too many good options to list here. There are a number of excellent products that can be purchased for $15-20.

My only experience with TOBS soaps is the vintage formulation of their lavender soap. No experience with their Sandalwood soap.

That said the vintage soap is top notch.

Many of the old top notch traditional soaps today get panned so I'm not surprised about the reactions here.

I believe that there is a drive amongst the traditional purveyor's to ween out soaps in favor of the more profitable creams.

Chris

Many of the old top notch traditional soaps today get panned so I'm not surprised about the reactions here.
Chris

Many of the soaps that formerly held 'top notch" status are still decent products. However, they have been far surpassed by some of the new formulations. The Ford Model T was a great automobile back in 1908, but 111 years later, automotive technology has moved on to better things. Some folks, however, still enjoy driving vintage autos; some folks still like shaving with vintage soaps. If it works for you, that is great.

First ingredient is Sodium Palmate, seems to be the same horrid formulation and OEM (Soapworks UK) as GFT and T&H. Go for the cream, but if you are sensitive to proven irritants in cosmetics this is the #1 cream to steer clear off.

Many of the soaps that formerly held 'top notch" status are still decent products. However, they have been far surpassed by some of the new formulations. The Ford Model T was a great automobile back in 1908, but 111 years later, automotive technology has moved on to better things. Some folks, however, still enjoy driving vintage autos; some folks still like shaving with vintage soaps. If it works for you, that is great.

My point is that the old soaps have changed formulation thus the current sentiments. What they used to be is better than what they are now.

Chris

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I haven’t tried TOBS before but I would go for the soap in the wooden bowl. This recommendation is on looks alone.

Not these soaps.
Tallow based Trumpers, Floris, Panhaligons et al were of remarkable quality. Absolutely superlative quality lather, scented with genuinely sophisticated men's fragrances by world class perfumers and presented in lifelong lasting teak bowls. There's nothing like those soaps in production any more.

My point is that the old soaps have changed formulation thus the current sentiments. What they used to be is better than what they are now.

Chris

I may have used some of the soaps that are now considered vintage back when I first started shaving. However, I no longer have any of them to compare to modern version of those same soaps. However, I do not doubt that some of the manufacturers have changed ingredients and processes in order to reduce the manufacturing cost or to respond to requirements from government regulations or even pressure from animal rights activists and the like. Many traditional tallow based products have converted to alternative fats with varying degrees of success.

It is interesting that one traditional soap, Mitchell's Wool Fat, claims they are still using the original formulation form 1893. It is one traditional soap that can hold its own against the best of the new artisan soaps.

Chris

I may have used some of the soaps that are now considered vintage back when I first started shaving. However, I no longer have any of them to compare to modern version of those same soaps. However, I do not doubt that some of the manufacturers have changed ingredients and processes in order to reduce the manufacturing cost or to respond to requirements from government regulations or even pressure from animal rights activists and the like. Many traditional tallow based products have converted to alternative fats with varying degrees of success.

It is interesting that one traditional soap, Mitchell's Wool Fat, claims they are still using the original formulation form 1893. It is one traditional soap that can hold its own against the best of the new artisan soaps.

TOBS, TFH, GFT changed OEM manufacturer and formula for their soaps to comply with current ideological trends. What Soapworks makes them is basically a palm oil hand soap (first ingredient Sodium Palmate).

DRH and CRS still use the old manufacturer and formula (Sodium Tallowate and Potassium Palmate). Now they completely moved to Tallow, but some Palmate heavy stock is still in circulation. Performance is nearly identical (great) so no need to rush the transition.

I believe TFH have Apsley re-reformulated to have Potassium Palmate list as first ingredient, which makes a world of difference with lathering performance.

Last edited:
I have been using a puck
Of TOBS Jermyn Street for about 5 months. Performance has been outstanding. This soap was a ‘sensitive skin’ formulation, so the ingredients may be different from the Sandalwood. I suggest comparing the two formulas and if the same/very similar, the Sandalwood may be a good bet for you. If you get a refill puck without the bowl, the cost should be much more economical as well.

Despite all the negative posts, I've fully enjoyed my TOBS sandalwood hard soap shaves!! Great TOBS sandalwood scent, nice lather and slickness.

taylor of old bond st sandalwood morris forndran schulze tuesday proraso may 23 2017.jpg

I certainly never meant to stir the hornets nest here. That’s what makes wet shaving great so much stuff and so many options.

More then likely I will pull the trigger on the cream, here’s my next question is like Proraso in a tub? Is it somewhat hard or is it soft like a cream like proraso in a tube?

I know it seems dumb, but I’m just curious that’s all. This would be the most expensive soap I’ve ever bought

Top Bottom