What's new

Taylor of old Bond Street Cedarwood! (First time using)

I just started this DE shaving thing January. My first 2 shave creams were Proraso green and TOOBS sandalwood. First impressions, when I opened the tubs, I liked Proraso better than the TOOBS. But upon using them both, I much prefer the scent and larger of the TOOBS. The TOOBS scent really does evolve with a hot brush and bowl. The Proraso takes a lot more effort to get a lather, and then it’s just kinda meh. It’s under the sink for if I run out of the other stuff.

Since I'm to the bottom of my TOOBS tub now, I ordered another sandalwood to try - I selected the Barrister & Mann. Wow! Not that smells like the sandalwood I remember, from childhood. The scent lingers too, and the bathroom stays smelling wonderful. Im quite happy with it. It smells nothing like the TOOBS, but I do still like them both. B&M has a lavender I’d like to try, and I’d like to try the TOOBS cedar.

Which vendor has a nice array of samples? I can’t drop $100 on creams all at once. What I may do is buy my new creams when I get to the bottom of the tub but still have several shaved left. That way I’ll build my own collection of comparators over time.

It’s nice I don’t need to do this with razors and blades, I’m thoroughly pleased with the Henson AL13 & Feather blades.
I'm a few months into DE shaving like you. I like scents like woods, lavender etc.. I've narrowed down to Proraso red which in my opinion is what Sandalwood is supposed to smell like. (I haven't tried the Barrister). And TOBS Cedarwood. The Cedarwood is incredible!
I liked the Cedarwood so much that I ordered 3 more tubs. I'm now exclusively using that and the Proraso red. I've wanted to try lavender but yet to buy one.
Anyways, I highly recommend the Cedarwood!

I'm a few months into DE shaving like you. I like scents like woods, lavender etc.. I've narrowed down to Proraso red which in my opinion is what Sandalwood is supposed to smell like. (I haven't tried the Barrister). And TOBS Cedarwood. The Cedarwood is incredible!
I liked the Cedarwood so much that I ordered 3 more tubs. I'm now exclusively using that and the Proraso red. I've wanted to try lavender but yet to buy one.
Anyways, I highly recommend the Cedarwood!

Maggard’s had samples of many B&M and TOBS creams and aftershaves, ~$3@, B&M being slightly more expensive than TOBS. So I’ve got a $30 order inbound with a bunch to try.

This morning’s shave:

C68E1F27-AE0D-4368-BD05-280CFB9CDB50.jpeg

Maggard’s had samples of many B&M and TOBS creams and aftershaves, ~$3@, B&M being slightly more expensive than TOBS. So I’ve got a $30 order inbound with a bunch to try.

This morning’s shave:

View attachment 1456587
Samples are a good idea but I've never done any afraid of not liking the majority, Lol!!
But I guess it's better than buying something "full size" blindly. I got lucky with both creams I use where I went ahead and bought the full containers. I am gonna look into Maggards samples though and see what they offer. Maybe I can piece together a variety where I might like most of what I get.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand

This morning’s shave:

View attachment 1456587

Ahhh, the blue Henson razor, welcome to the party pal! And look, who doesn't love Sandalwood? I think that bowl is ceramic, ding ding ding, instant winner. And what a lovely looking brush handle too.

I've been using TOBS Cedarwood for a while now. I find that it lathers just as good as other TOBS creams. However, the performance isn't as good. The level of slickness and protection seems lower than the other TOBS creams I use or have used, including Royal Forest, Peppermint, Sandalwood, or Eton College.

Because of your post, I tried my Cedarwood sample again this morning. The scent is great, but I agree the performance was not up to par. I’ve been using Barrister & Mann, Murphy & McNeil, and Declaration Grooming mostly of late; they have much better slickness and post-shave. I’ll finish off the sample and probably won’t buy more. The Tobacco I finished off Monday seemed to perform better, not sure why there would be variation and YMMV. I haven’t used TOBS Sandalwood since I fell down the rabbit hole with the samples and found artisan soaps I much prefer.

I started wet shaving a few months ago and have been using Proraso red from the start. I like it but of course I've wanted to try other soaps. I've received several already in the last couple days from Razorock, Clubman, TOBS, D.R. Harris & white Proraso. Today I tried my first TOBS. The Cedarwood soap in the tub!
First off, the scent is excellent. I like these types of scents and stay away from complex scents like citrus, mints, perfumes etc..
When I took a whiff of it, I was surprised that it smelled light. But when I lathered up, the scent became stronger and even lingered on my face for hours. I like that!

I used Proraso red aftershave and after that wore off, the Cedarwood smell was still present.
Now the performance (compared to Proraso):
It lathers quickly and it's a lather that's much richer. It's the lather that I've been looking for!
It's also much slicker than Proraso. Proraso has very little slickness. Matter if fact, when rinsing the TOBS, it took alot of water to get it off. Proraso comes off in one splash. The TOBS leaves your face moisturized where the Proraso doesn't. I really like Proraso because of the incredible Sandalwood scent but TOBS performs better overall. It's definitely superior and worth the extra $6 over the Proraso.

Next up I'll be trying the TOBS Sandalwood which I bought in the tube. If I like the Sandalwood scent, I'll probably be moving over to TOBS as my daily shave soap/cream. I think that the price & performance is very balanced in TOBS products. I'm also gonna be looking into the aftershaves as well in order to find something that matches with the soaps and creams. Let's see how D.R. Harris does as well when I try them out. I've got Lavender & Rose travel size tubes ready to be used. I'm sure they'll be a premium product as well. I've got a price limit that I want to stick to though. Max $20 per tub for my daily use soap!
So the TOBS price & performance will be perfect!
Not to go too far down a rabbit hole but Captian’s Choice Sandalwood cream and their regular soap is more of a Croap… plus Scott is a good guy and a huge contributor to this forum.

Top Bottom