What's new

Taxes on soap orders

Yes one thing in life we will never rid of is Taxes!!
But the last time I ordered from Stirling was charged a 7% tax on my order. OUCH. I even emailed Rod and he was very nice and explained some states require them to tax. I do love OHIO but why why OHIO!!
I also asked him that other artisans company's do not charge a tax like the razor company. He said it was up to the seller to charge. He was just doing the correct thing and agreed that it sucked!!
What have you encountered from company's? I for sure will not stop ordering from Stirling but have to adjust my pricing.

45 states now have some sort of internet sales tax as it relates to out-of-state sales. Taxes on internet goods were always required (use tax), but individuals were responsible for declaring it on their personal taxes, which rarely (never?) happened.

States were losing too much revenue and had to enact something to recoup the money after the 2018 Supreme Court ruling. I now just expect tax to be on all internet sales as if I were buying it in the store. No biggie.

FYI, if a company isn’t charging you sales tax for internet purchases, the IRS is expecting you to declare your use tax anyway. 😉

I agree with Brother 12stones (above). One way or another, sales tax or use tax, we are responsible for our taxes. The tax man must be paid, no exceptions.

Besides, how else are we going to pay for the best government that taxes can buy? We are honest and honorable men who shave, are we not?

My wife bought a baby gift for a friend in California. We live in Florida and expected to pay FL tax. Nope. Online retailer that rhymes with Maybe Lap charged us CA taxes for the last order they will ever see from us.

Here's something I discovered about sales tax on online orders. I live in Oregon and there is no sales tax, but if I order something online and have it delivered to friends or family in a state that does, I get hut with sales tax for that state.
I'm no expert on sake tax, so I have no idea if this is supposed to happen or not. Oh well.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Sales tax is a regressive tax. Me no like. But no choice in the matter.
Shave gear should be considered necessities and be exempt. Possibly the reason we have such an unkempt population? 🤣😄😃😀

Well, there seems to be some kind of VAT even in the US.

The VAT is a sales tax that applies to the purchase of most goods and services, and must be collected and submitted by the merchant to the United States governmental revenue department.

Businesses in United States are required to collect a sales tax of 10.00% on behalf of the government, which they must submit to the applicable United States revenue department in a periodical VAT tax return. Unlike the United States' sales tax, which is only charged on sales to end consumers, the VAT is collected on all sales - even of raw materials.

So it seems in some (most?) states you get hit by a) VAT 10% and b) local sales tax which might differ from state to state.

/regards

Google.

Last edited:
Top Bottom