What's new

Tattoo ideas

Currently, I only have three tattoos. Well, two actually. One tattoo covered up an older one. So, in reality, I have two. One on each upper arm. The one on my left arm is fairly large and pays homage to my military days. The one on the right arm is small and is tribal in nature and really means nothing to me (but I don't dislike it). I have the urge for another tattoo but I don't really know what I want. Yes, I know...a tattoo should be personal and is up to the individual. I'm just coming here to see if you guys can give me a few ideas of cool, modern, manly, public-appropriate tattoos that I could consider.

Still tattoo free, in my 50s. However, I have always wanted a particular tattoo since Army boot camp in the 80s. It would be an American eagle with the American flag and POW flag in its talons, with its wings spread. I even had it priced out from a reputable artist, but the cost is more than I could justify.

Good luck in finding your next piece of art.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

For me, they are deeply personal . . . I would think about things in your life currently, which matter to you. In my case, I went almost 20 years before inspiration struck. Then, in less than five minutes, I had the idea fully fleshed out as a concept. If you look at it in that light (ie, what is important to your life today), I am sure you will come up with the inspiration you need.

For the record, the ink was a reproduction of my Father's hand, positioned as it would be if her were standing behind me, offering guidance. Now that he has passed, I take no small solace in always having "his" hand with me, to make sure I follow the right path.

For me, they are deeply personal . . . I would think about things in your life currently, which matter to you. In my case, I went almost 20 years before inspiration struck. Then, in less than five minutes, I had the idea fully fleshed out as a concept. If you look at it in that light (ie, what is important to your life today), I am sure you will come up with the inspiration you need.

That's the problem...i'm not finding the inspiration. I'm looking for ideas from folks to help inspire and spark imagination.

They are narrative images, and typically personal at that. As a sign, they point to something that would ideally be enduring. What's your story? Can it be captured in an image?

That's the problem...i'm not finding the inspiration. I'm looking for ideas from folks to help inspire and spark imagination.

Any trials or tribulations you have overcome? Loss? Success? In the end there is no need for haste, is there? It's not like you'll die without some new ink?

Actually, I just came up with an idea . . . you are seeking, yes? In this case inspiration, but that really is irrelevant for the moment . . .

led-zep-iv-inside-gatefold-sleeve.jpg

Got any trips planned? I went about 15 years between the one I got in March and its predecessor. I really didn't have any plans to get any others, but we were on a mission trip in Jerusalem and got the opportunity to commemorate the trip with some ink done by a 27th generation artist at what is likely the oldest continually operating shop in the world.

Currently, I only have the Japanese symbol for power or strength. I have plans for future tattoos based on religious philosophy (a cross), to honor lost family (skull and golf clubs), personal experiences (eagle, diver, Pisces).

Each one of these is deeply personal and something I would be proud to have. I’m not overly concerned with public perception, so looking back on your original post I’m not sure this is helpful at all. Sorry!

Perhaps it is better to wait? A regretful tattoo is not ideal,to say the least.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Sure, I'm in no hurry. I mean, I've been pondering for a year about another tattoo so several more weeks, months, or a few years wouldn't hurt. It just doesn't hurt to ask for some ideas.

Got any trips planned? I went about 15 years between the one I got in March and its predecessor. I really didn't have any plans to get any others, but we were on a mission trip in Jerusalem and got the opportunity to commemorate the trip with some ink done by a 27th generation artist at what is likely the oldest continually operating shop in the world.
No trips plan, but that 27th generation artist is very cool! I'd like to learn more.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
You mention you have a tribal design. Whats your ancestry? Lately I'm really enjoying Norse artwork and carvings, but I also enjoy native American and Inuit artworks and really, native artworks for all over the world.

I was showing some Norse carvings to a friend over the weekend. He an artist and has several tatt's. I showed him these and he liked the idea so much hes going to carve some logs and set them up in his yard. If that works out I may have him make me a few.

ddcb2a46f5d0ceddcc6db827a613e28d.jpg

Something like that could also be interpreted in a tatt. I personally like this one but I very much appreciate Norse and Celtic artworks.

Odin-Norse-God-Wood-Carving-Art-Wall-Hanging-_1.jpg

Another friend has about 80% of his body covered in tatt's. All of his are about his life experiences and tell a story. Seeing him in shorts and no shirt is like reading a picture book.

To me, tatt's are about anything and everything you're passionate about.

You might have a look at Mike Austins work. He does very nice original works.

I had a map of the moon as used for the Apollo missions on my lower back. Its there to remind me not of the manned missions but as a10yrs old, the moon was the first thing I looked at through my first telescope, which I still have and my newer scopes still point at the moon. The large blue bird and branches I have on my left upper arm which then turns into an ivy covered tree branches, which then runs across my upper back and down across my chest and right arm, encompasses my wife and daughters names. The bird shows to me I'm free from my abusive past the the tree shows I've grown into a family man. But as other say its a personal thing. Or you could go mad and have a Disney princess 🥳

I have a cross on my upper left arm. I got it when i was 20. I'm 37 now, i want full sleeves, but haven't figured out what I want.

I have a quarter-sleeve on my right arm (down to my elbow) that is a reproduction of a photo a friend took of my hiking down a mountain. The picture is from behind, so you can't really tell it's me. It's to represent my love of hiking/backpacking. I was going to get another tat earlier this year to commemorate a hike I completed, but COVID put that idea on ice. My artist is open again, so I need to give her a call.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Casey:

proxy.php
I happen to have 14 tats (both legs, thigh, wrist, arms, chest, stomach and back [Chinese characters for faith, hope and charity]), and in April of 05 (after St. John Paul II's passing), probably the most important and meaningful 'tat' I have is on my (L) calf displaying (the Coat of Arms of the Holy See), my way of self-expression (being catholic & very pious...I thought I should 'wear' my faith 'on my sleeve' per say). :thumbsup:

my-vatican-tatoo-jpg.870582

BTW, I'm still thinking about getting another tat on my right thigh of a shaving theme like below (but larger of course [wink]). :001_rolle

369050-e3f85ced6d88526b43134febfe073f53.jpg

proxy.php
"Tattoos are one's visible stories". CBJ

Casey:

proxy.php
I happen to have 14 tats (both legs, thigh, wrist, arms, chest, stomach and back [Chinese characters for faith, hope and charity]), and in April of 05 (after St. John Paul II's passing), probably the most important and meaningful 'tat' I have is on my (L) calf displaying (the Coat of Arms of the Holy See), my way of self-expression (being catholic & very pious...I thought I should 'wear' my faith 'on my sleeve' per say). :thumbsup:

my-vatican-tatoo-jpg.870582

BTW, I'm still thinking about getting another tat on my right thigh of a shaving theme like below (but larger of course [wink]). :001_rolle

369050-e3f85ced6d88526b43134febfe073f53.jpg

proxy.php
"Tattoos are one's visible stories". CBJ
That's cool. You should visit Jerusalem and pick up a Jerusalem Cross from one of the oldest continually operating shops in the world. I got mine in 2019.

I was with a large group of guys that did a day trip down to Tombstone the day before The Big Shave Southwest and Josh, who does Red Beard Shaves on YouTube, got a razor blade tattoo while we were there.

Top Bottom