What's new

Tatara,Yates and Karve

I am a Matte and Exquisite equipment lover,I have TataraM/N and Yates 921M,they are all wonderful razors.I love them
Karve SS is a handsome razor,I want to know in terms of performance, are Karve ss smoother and better to use than they three are? It determines whether I'm going to buy Karve or not
IMG_20220409_111908.jpg

As you are an exquisite equipment lover, the Karve Christopher Bradley is a treat. I believe it is aesthetically the most beautiful razor of the Yates and Tatara razors. Regarding shaving, the Karve has a buttery smooth feel. My personal sweet spot is the D plate. In my opinion, it is different enough that it would be worth adding to your collection.

I have read very positive reviews of the Karve Overlander. I love the Christopher Bradley handle, so I am waiting for a "head only" purchase.

For the record, the Yates 921 is my personal favorite razor for performance. Just this week I received the Tatara N & M razors, so I am still in the evaluation phase for these excellent razors.

As you are an exquisite equipment lover, the Karve Christopher Bradley is a treat. I believe it is aesthetically the most beautiful razor of the Yates and Tatara razors. Regarding shaving, the Karve has a buttery smooth feel. My personal sweet spot is the D plate. In my opinion, it is different enough that it would be worth adding to your collection.

I have read very positive reviews of the Karve Overlander. I love the Christopher Bradley handle, so I am waiting for a "head only" purchase.

For the record, the Yates 921 is my personal favorite razor for performance. Just this week I received the Tatara N & M razors, so I am still in the evaluation phase for these excellent razors.
I'm very much looking forward to your review and hope you can continue to update.By the way,you use yatesm or h or eh

I am a Matte and Exquisite equipment lover,I have TataraM/N and Yates 921M,they are all wonderful razors.I love them
Karve SS is a handsome razor,I want to know in terms of performance, are Karve ss smoother and better to use than they three are? It determines whether I'm going to buy Karve or not
View attachment 1436774
From my experience (and I have or have had all the razors you are discussing), the razors in your picture a better in every way compared to the Karve CB razor. I have the razors in your picture but sold my CB. If you like shaving with a shallow angle, then you might like the CB. If you are a steep angle shaver like me, then skip the CB.

Like @ewk the Yates is my favorite razor when paired with the H plate. Nothing I have in my collection can top it...some are very close, but the Yates 921-H rocks for me. The CB was way down the line. The Overlander is a much better razor from Karve (for me) and has earned a spot in my top rotation.

From my experience (and I have or have had all the razors you are discussing), the razors in your picture a better in every way compared to the Karve CB razor. I have the razors in your picture but sold my CB. If you like shaving with a shallow angle, then you might like the CB. If you are a steep angle shaver like me, then skip the CB.

Like @ewk the Yates is my favorite razor when paired with the H plate. Nothing I have in my collection can top it...some are very close, but the Yates 921-H rocks for me. The CB was way down the line. The Overlander is a much better razor from Karve (for me) and has earned a spot in my top rotation.
I was really hesitant about such a thing, when I had these three razors, would Krave really use better than them?

I was really hesitant about such a thing, when I had these three razors, would Krave really use better than them?
Do you still have those 3 razors? In my experience, those razors are all better than the CB Karve. The Overlander is very good, but doesn't perform quite as well as the Yates. I would say it's in between the Masamune and Nodachi and very smooth.

I only have these three razors,but I want to buy the next one which is good use then them,Otherwise there is no point in buying it.
Do you still have those 3 razors? In my experience, those razors are all better than the CB Karve. The Overlander is very good, but doesn't perform quite as well as the Yates. I would say it's in between the Masamune and Nodachi and very smooth.

I only have these three razors,but I want to buy the next one which is good use then them,Otherwise there is no point in buying it.
We’ll, I would not recommend buying the Karve CB. I believe what you have are better performing razors.

What don’t you like about those 3 that you have now? They are very nice.

We’ll, I would not recommend buying the Karve CB. I believe what you have are better performing razors.

What don’t you like about those 3 that you have now? They are very nice.
I love them,but karve cb is beautiful

I love them,but karve cb is beautiful
Haha….yes it is and one of the reasons I bought one. It just didn’t work out for me so I sold it.

It could work out better for you but I didn’t care for it….other than looks. The Overlander is a different story. Great razor.

Reactions: nav
M on the face, H on the head. I have the EH; it provides more blade feel, but I do not think it gives any greater efficiency over then H.
Agree here. The only thing I noticed with the EH over the H plate is more blade feel with not much improvement in efficiency. For me the H plate has a noticeable increase in efficiency over the M plate, yet remains very smooth and comfortable. The EH loses the comfort while not adding much, if any, efficiency. The M and H are both very good performers....the H just takes it up a notch. Both work great for daily shaves as well as letting a couple of days go by between shaves.

Agree here. The only thing I noticed with the EH over the H plate is more blade feel with not much improvement in efficiency. For me the H plate has a noticeable increase in efficiency over the M plate, yet remains very smooth and comfortable. The EH loses the comfort while not adding much, if any, efficiency. The M and H are both very good performers....the H just takes it up a notch. Both work great for daily shaves as well as letting a couple of days go by between shaves.
It's like you read my mind :)

I’ve owned the Karve and many plates (SS). Candidly, the angle was never right for me and I don’t like to ride the cap. The Tataras shave better. Waiting on my Yates (ordered it today). Although I love the look of the Karve, I wouldn’t buy one again. I would buy Timeless (Ti) or Carbon when they are making them again.

Karve razors are nice, but they lack efficiency. I could only get the level of efficiency I prefer after moving all the way up to the F plate. It's still plenty smooth though.

I thoroughly enjoy my Tatara Nodachi OC, and my Yates EH.

So from a pure utility perspective, Yates wins out due to the overall lower cost.

From a finishing perspective, the Nodachi OC is king.

In terms of a great shave? I reach out more for the Nodachi OC and Yates EH. No offense to Karve, it's a very good razor, but I just prefer the other 2.

View attachment 1436774

Lovely line up!! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

View attachment 1436774
I have the following razors that you are asking about:
Tatara Nodachi SB & OC
Yates H & EH
Karve (brass) SB B-G and OC C-F

A great razor to me would be one that is both as smooth as my Timeless Ti .95 OC polished, and as efficient as my R41 SS. The Nodachi SB is the closest razor I have found to meet that. The Nodachi OC may be a tiny bit more efficient but gives up too much in smoothness, so the even balance stays with the SB.

I would say pretty much the same thing for the Yates. The EH plate is a little more efficient than the H plate, but for the balance of efficiency and smoothness the H plate wins. Yates is my #2 razor just behind the Nodachi.

To your question if the Karve is smoother and better to use than the above razors, my opinion would have to be no…but. I find no fault with the Karve. The various plates in both SB and OC offer increased efficiency as you go from AA to G without sacrificing much in smoothness. It is a very fine razor worth owning; I just rate the Nodachi and Yates a little higher.

I have the following razors that you are asking about:
Tatara Nodachi SB & OC
Yates H & EH
Karve (brass) SB B-G and OC C-F

A great razor to me would be one that is both as smooth as my Timeless Ti .95 OC polished, and as efficient as my R41 SS. The Nodachi SB is the closest razor I have found to meet that. The Nodachi OC may be a tiny bit more efficient but gives up too much in smoothness, so the even balance stays with the SB.

I would say pretty much the same thing for the Yates. The EH plate is a little more efficient than the H plate, but for the balance of efficiency and smoothness the H plate wins. Yates is my #2 razor just behind the Nodachi.

To your question if the Karve is smoother and better to use than the above razors, my opinion would have to be no…but. I find no fault with the Karve. The various plates in both SB and OC offer increased efficiency as you go from AA to G without sacrificing much in smoothness. It is a very fine razor worth owning; I just rate the Nodachi and Yates a little higher.
Good advice ,maybe I donot need to buy karve cb

Top Bottom