What's new

Tatara Samurai Sword Alliance

I had a really rough shave today with my Tatara razor. I used the Masamune top cap and the Nodachi base plate and a Nacet blade. The blade works really well in the standard Masamune configuration.

Have anyone else found that this razor is picky on blades for different base plate and top cap combinations?
With what other blades have you tried that combo?

With what other blades have you tried that combo?
Works fine with Perma-sharp and Astra green.
It might have something to do with the angle this setup gives.
The Nacet was also really tugging. I did not experience this when I used the Masamune setup and the Nacet.

Works fine with Perma-sharp and Astra green.
It might have something to do with the angle this setup gives.
The Nacet was also really tugging. I did not experience this when I used the Masamune setup and the Nacet.
I assume it would be a shallower angle with the Nodachi?

One thing with Nodachi for me was new. I had to really firmly press blade into Nodachi head. I had to do that a few times before it was really pressed in it changed geometry a lot.

I'm a new Tatara Masamune (closed comb) owner - and the TLDR is 'tis fantastic... and rather gorgeous.

I've been happily using a Henson AL-13, mostly with Feather blades as they're the most common blade here in Thailand and only around $10/100 and their sharpness is tamed by the mild Henson. Recently also used Gillette London Bridge blades which are new blades produced for Asian market... and are excellent and about $3.80/100 inc delivery.

Now I've had some shaves with the Masamune & the Feather and now the London Bridge... as usual the first shave with a Feather had a couple of weepers - this happens with the also mild Henson... seems a Feather blade is a prime candidate for trying out 'corking' the blade next time as the following days are a lovely smooth and comfortable shave.
The London bridge is also very sharp but doesn't have the first shave blues that the Feather suffers from - the Masamune is safe and comfortable yet gives a smooth finish.

I've got the Nodachi base plate (and razor stand and cork stand) on the way from Tatara - so will be interested to see how they compare and whether for me the difference in blade exposure is necessary. It's surprising how effective the Masamune is with its negative blade exposure - but it is, and of course that makes it very safe.

The size is rather cute and very nice weight - the dimpled finish works very well and looks lovely (and unique for razor handles)... so much so I regret that i already own a Muhle Rocca Silertip brush in the stainless steel handle... as it is, i'm resisiting the urge to get the matching Masamune brush.

IMG_4242.JPG

Oh, and another thing... if you like this Portuguese razor, go search out some Madeira fortified wine.

Just fantastic - it was all the rage hundreds of years ago... and i'm glad i stumbled upon it in Thailand of all places - not much choice available here but there is a wine merchant who stocks Barbeito - the 5 yr old rainwater, and 10 yr old Sercial & Boal... dangerously tasty.

IMG_4243.JPG

Just received the Nodachi (closed) base plate, razor stand & cork shave stand today... the cork shave stand is a great size, my Rocca silvertip brush is too big a diameter to fit the hole for the Tatara brush so it's either a hole saw or a new brush, haha.

Once I finish the full 7 days with the Gillette London Bridge of daily shaves, which shouldn't be a problem - then I'll give the Nodachi plate a go. Plan to start with a Feather (corked!) and then on to test with the London Bridge.

IMG_4249.JPG

Masamune with Nodachi Closed comb plate is a definite NO for me... anyone want to swap for a open comb Masamune :adoration:

First go with a corked new Feather blade resulted in some bleeders/cuts in my usual trouble spots and even in some new areas... didn't even give the Feather a second go, but tried a London Bridge blade next day. Better, but still more weepers than the full Masamune and for no real benefit for me - just less comfort and way less safety.

Ah, well - now must resist urge to order the matching Tatara badger brush when I get the OC Masamune plate...

I have the brush. I like it for its aesthetic appeal but I think for the money there are definitely better brushes out there. It’s smaller then I expected and a lot stiffer then other badgers I have used.
Hmmm, that sounds good to me actually (being a stiffer badger brush) as I use shave sticks (50/50 Arko/MWF or Cella/MWF) so the 24mm stiffer Tatara/Semogue for face lathering sounds like a good idea... he says to himself to justify the purchase with an Oopen comb Masamune plate...
Unless you want to swap for the Muhle Rocca Silvertip Badger you can see above in #185?
:eek2:

Hmmm, that sounds good to me actually (being a stiffer badger brush) as I use shave sticks (50/50 Arko/MWF or Cella/MWF) so the 24mm stiffer Tatara/Semogue for face lathering sounds like a good idea... he says to himself to justify the purchase with an Oopen comb Masamune plate...
Unless you want to swap for the Muhle Rocca Silvertip Badger you can see above in #185?
DO-IIT! :devil:
Just make sure you get your shipping cost worth and get everything you want this time. :thumbup1:

No, not interested in swapping, sorry. It’s not my favourite brush but I still plan to keep it, it may grow on me. It was a gift so there is also sentimental value. Good luck if you end up getting one, I hope it works out for you. It’s not a bad brush by any means, I just prefer softer.

it’s with Fedex… I’m off down south to Songkhla for work next Monday, so was hesitant but i‘m pretty sure i’ll get it in time to give the open comb a go before i leave Bangkok… hurrah.

Reckon i’ll still take the closed comb with the Feathers for this trip anyway, but glad i should be able to try the open comb before i go.

I'll be trying out the titanium Masamune and Nodachi in the near future as part of a pass around on another forum. Curious to see how they compare to my SS originals.

I have the boar brush. It's a small knot and less dense than my SOC -- and very heavy. Prefer the SOC brushes in truth.

@coops try the Nodachi plate with other blades before you sell. For me, the Nodachi doesn't pair anything like as well as the Masamune with feathers. My favourite plate is the Masamune open comb.

After it was discussed here last night, I decided to revisit my Masamune badger brush for today’s shave. Not getting along with it at all. Too scratchy, doesn’t splay as easily as I’d like. I loaded it generously but still took quite a bit of time and effort to get a decent lather and barely enough for 2 passes. I’ve been using a $30 PAA Peregrino synthetic as a daily driver and I like it infinitely better. I will keep the Tatara brush for eye candy but my face definitely prefers synthetics and soft silvertips.

Received the Finest badger brush and OC Masamune plate today - huzzah.

I'd missed a day shave yesterday after the 'Nodachi Experience'... so today's shave was 2 days growth of beard and the closed comb Masamune was excellent - no problem dealing with the extra stubble and back to a wonderful, smooth, comfortable and safe shave. My skin is happy.

And it'll be a good reference for tomorrow's first OC shave - same London Bridge blade is loaded ready to go - the Open Comb does look like an even better/firmer blade clamping from that bottom plate. My phone doesn't do Macro shots so don't have pics to show difference, would be difficult to do it justice.

I've hand lathered the new brush a couple of times to rinse it and get it going.
Felt good - brush did feel firmer backbone which will work well, and the smaller diameter stainless handles feels great. Same good grip as the Razor handle - pics below compare it vs a Muhle Rocca Silvertip. the Tatara is a 24mm knot vs 21mm for the Muhle (handle dia is 32mm for Muhle vs 28mm for Tatara). Notice from the pics and just went back upstais to look again - the Tatara/Semogue is a bit more of a 'fan' compared to the classic bulb shape of the Muhle - this may be exactly what I need for my face lathering (the Muhle is great anyway but...)
The Tatara stand is complete...

IMG_4259.JPG

IMG_4257.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom