What's new

Tatara Samurai Sword Alliance

My Tatara shrine/ shaving nook is taking shape. Gotta get that brush. Also, I notice I need Nodachi SB plate. Idk how bad I want it. Mostly about having the set. However I love the open space to put tweesers and clippers.
I want the towel too
I think the mug matches nicely. The husband loves it. He is even using it and loves it.
I bet I get the brush for Christmas.

Attachments

• 20221101_182312.jpg
    20221101_182312.jpg
    857.5 KB · Views: 34
So, I got my first shave with Masamune SB with Derby Usta (1) blades this morning. What can I say?
It's definitely comfortable, nice-looking, pretty mild, very well-balanced, and enough efficient razor. For my feelings, I can compare it with the Rockwell R3 plate, but a bit more efficient. After two and a half passes, my skin felt good, and the aftershave didn't burn me.

Shaving clearness: 7/10
Comfortable: 9/10

Next time I'm gonna use Feather blades (as the manufacturer recommends).
To be continued...

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Do you find the handle options a bit limiting? The reason I ask is.... I see a 11mm diameter, 89mm long handle and a 12.5mm diameter, 105mm long handle. My favorite handles are the Timeless Ti Crown handles: 14mm diameter, 90mm long.

The "fat" Gillette British Flat Bottom Tech handle is 11.4mm for another point of reference. I find that handle to be a bit too thin for me, personally.

I love the look of the Tatara razors.. modern art designs. I don't know if I'd like either handle they offer.... 105mm is pretty long for me. I could do what David / @never-stop-learning does, of course..... change out the handles, but it sure would be nice if there more options... with larger diameters.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Do you find the handle options a bit limiting? The reason I ask is.... I see a 11mm diameter, 89mm long handle and a 12.5mm diameter, 105mm long handle. My favorite handles are the Timeless Ti Crown handles: 14mm diameter, 90mm long.

The "fat" Gillette British Flat Bottom Tech handle is 11.4mm for another point of reference. I find that handle to be a bit too thin for me, personally.

I love the look of the Tatara razors.. modern art designs. I don't know if I'd like either handle they offer.... 105mm is pretty long for me. I could do what David / @never-stop-learning does, of course..... change out the handles, but it sure would be nice if there more options... with larger diameters.
I definitely need, and like, larger diameter (14mm to 15mm) handles. :)

Mini Nodachi, Masamune SB plate, Kai blade

full

After neglecting my Nodachi for far too long, and having a well used Kai blade sitting around, I decided to see if I could hot rod the rather tame Mamamune safety bar plate. I bought it last year to have for days when I need a mild shave, and it works for that, but I have found that I wasn't using it much. The extra width of the Kai blade just barely gets me enough blade exposure to have a normal shave.

And a wonderful shave it was, considering that I have to shave in the morning now. Because my face wasn't particularly sensitive today, I really chased the baby. The rigidity of the design is immediately apparent by how much faster I can shave without trying. David calls this affective and for a neutral exposure combination, this razor tops all in effectiveness for me. The second immediate thing I am made aware of is how low profile yet comfortably shaped the top cap is, this was the original reason I chose Tatara over an older, popular brand. The combination of these two traits made my expected chase a short lived affair, it was no problem at all! And I am sure my face appreciated not going over spots repeatedly. I did 2.5 passes and after the shave, and some thinking, I am calling this a 9/10 which is just BBS for me. My Blackbird will get at least a 9.2/10 with a worn out blade, but I have never been able to hit that allusive target with a neutral exposure razor other than with my Tatara(with a Kai). This was accomplished with just barely less impact on my face, I have never rated anything below 1 before, but this has got to be a 0.5-0.7 and makes me want to recalibrate my "facial impact score system." Below 2, I am not feeling anything uncomfortable during the shave and it's only the amount the razor is scraping my skin that determines the score. I could barely detect that my alum block was working and I have no residual soreness. With sharper blades, my Blackbird will feel the same during the shave, but will be sore from the closeness, slightly, afterwards(2).

I recently received my Heritage Gibbs reproduction razor and have been using the same Kai blade in it for 4 shaves and wanted to re-calibrate my brain to what a proper modern mild shaver is capable of. The Gibbs has a setting N which is the neutral setting and with that blade, I am getting similar results as my Tatara. Similar, but not quite as good. It's a nice razor and the more I use it, the more I like it. But it lacks the two traits mentioned above and suffers slightly for it, the overall shave is about as close, but the evenness is not as good and it is definitely slower going. It also has slightly more impact on my face due to the huge gap which my face doesn't care for. Owning the Tatara, and my Blackbird now, has helped me narrow down razors that might suite me well while avoiding a lot of razor purchases based on aesthetics(that I still want because I am dumb stubborn).

(For those without the razor, thinking about buying, it is worth re-iterating that you can't easily use other handles due to the design of the baseplate and vibration damper. More so than any other razor that I can think of. Of course somebody is going to slap me in the face and post a picture with a different handle, but at least I am technically correct. Also, the handles are actually 1/4" shorter than listed, also due to the design.)

The BIC platinum chrome blades I got in Chicago work just fine with the Masamune. Doesn't blow me away compared to my now trusty Gillette London Bridge blades, but they'll do just fine for me while offshore once I've finished the rest of my Feathers.

The Lilac Vegetal... first sniff from the bottle, it didn't seem too shocking. Very old school, but once I tried a full splash on for aftershave face treatment... errr, well, over powering is perhaps one polite way of putting it - was a good thing the wife was still away on her trip. I've binned the bottle, just for safety's sake.

My Tatara shrine/ shaving nook is taking shape. Gotta get that brush. Also, I notice I need Nodachi SB plate. Idk how bad I want it. Mostly about having the set. However I love the open space to put tweesers and clippers.
I want the towel too
I think the mug matches nicely. The husband loves it. He is even using it and loves it.
I bet I get the brush for Christmas.

Very nice nook.. but it does need the black badger TataraxSemogue brush :eek2:

I'll leave my cork stand pic here so you can accidentally leave it open and in view to lay a heavy hint...

img_4259-jpg.1480009

First time using BIC CP blades in my Masamune today. First pass on 2 days growth was very tuggy. Second and third pass much better. In the end I got a pretty good shave, almost BBS without any irritation. I used a light touch and the Masamune is very forgiving. However, the experience was nowhere near as smooth as feathers, or any of the various Russian PPI blades I have been using.

Back home and decided to give the Masudachi (Masamune Top x Nodachi bottom plate) another chance...

It is excellent - and with a light touch efficient and still Tatara smooth... but there's a small 'beauty spot' on my top lip that got nicked, even with great care and lightest of weight...

But.. I've finally realised how to get the best out of the 'full' Masamune, which is truly a 'safety razor', and no danger to that mole/spot... with a Masamune you can apply some pressure where you know it's ok to - and still get no irritation (as alum block lets me know) yet a wonderful close shave on the neck (mainly with the grain and pressure on the neck for example) and very light on my dodgy upper lip there and have no fear of nicking the spot.

Also realised my electric Oral B toothbrush is just the thing for a weekly scrub of the razor when the London bridge blade is due for its change ;-)

Oh, and Pre de Provence is excellent soap - and only having two scent options is a relief really... the Bergamot & Thyme is a lovely herbal/floral thing and the 63 is deservedly loved also... but it's the great easy lather from a very hard soap (so long lasting and good value) that makes it from now one of my permanent stick rotation (with the PdeP better to grate and mix with Striling Sheep just to get it a tad softer for ease of face application).

Back home and decided to give the Masudachi (Masamune Top x Nodachi bottom plate) another chance...

It is excellent - and with a light touch efficient and still Tatara smooth... but there's a small 'beauty spot' on my top lip that got nicked, even with great care and lightest of weight...

But.. I've finally realised how to get the best out of the 'full' Masamune, which is truly a 'safety razor', and no danger to that mole/spot... with a Masamune you can apply some pressure where you know it's ok to - and still get no irritation (as alum block lets me know) yet a wonderful close shave on the neck (mainly with the grain and pressure on the neck for example) and very light on my dodgy upper lip there and have no fear of nicking the spot.

Also realised my electric Oral B toothbrush is just the thing for a weekly scrub of the razor when the London bridge blade is due for its change ;-)

Oh, and Pre de Provence is excellent soap - and only having two scent options is a relief really... the Bergamot & Thyme is a lovely herbal/floral thing and the 63 is deservedly loved also... but it's the great easy lather from a very hard soap (so long lasting and good value) that makes it from now one of my permanent stick rotation (with the PdeP better to grate and mix with Striling Sheep just to get it a tad softer for ease of face application).
Have you tried the Masamune base with the Nodachi top? It's one of my go to options when I travel. A little less efficient than using the full Nodachi base/cap, but a little more efficient than the full Masamune. I like it better than the Nodachi base/Masume cap for some reason.

@craigq
I have the Nodachi with both Masamune plates, it was a deliberate decision on my part when I got it. I have thus far resisted the urge to get a Nodachi plate, the Ti is the only way I would. I have more aggressive razors and bought Tatara specifically to have something when I need a milder shave and the Nodachi plate doesn't fit with that. Congrats on the new Ti.

For those who have been waiting (or maybe saving :001_cool: - see below), a new batch of Muramasa Ti adjustable razors will be produced in the first quarter of next year.

As the first batch was quite expensive (€699 - which did however include the base stand), Tatara sent out an e-mail yesterday asking people to confirm whether they still were interested in buying one.

If you should be interested it might be worth sending Tatara an email, as the first batch of Ti Muramasas was limited to 20 razors.

B.

I've been using the Masadachi (masamune head and nodachi base) for a very long time now and have found something very interesting.

I have tried to shave with the full Masamune and have found out that the Masadachi shave is much more comfortable for me. This is kid of weird, since the Masadachi combination is more aggressive...

The full Nodachi is too aggressive for me and the other combination (Nodachi head, Masamune base) is less efficient (but I still prefer it to full Masamune).

So, at least for me, Masadachi is definitely the best combination for comfort and efficiency and I strongly suggest a trial if you haven't done so already.

Happy new year, Tatara swordsmen! 🎊🎉🙂

Top Bottom