What's new

Tatara Samurai Sword Alliance

I didn’t have your willpower, and bought the titanium Muramasa. I am extremely happy with it. I hated spending that much money, but curiosity got the best of me. With my preferred Wizamets, I consider setting two as almost identical to a Feather AS-D2. Currently I’m doing my first pass at 3-3.5, then turn it down to 2 for second pass and touch up.
I’m pretty sure that if I had bought the stainless version when they had their sale last winter I would have been equally happy and had a larger bank balance.😁
Jack

Well, I quite like the lower weight of the titanium version (and since the titanium Nodachi arrived I haven’t used much my steel Tataras).

If people like the heft of a steel razor, there is no reason to spend the extra money on the titanium version, but if people are attracted to a light and maneuverable tool as razor they will need to decide for themselves whether the titanium version justifies roughly double the price.
With the high price differential it may be a tough call to make…

B.

I love stainless razors. Certainly I think most of that is weight. Aluminum no. Titanium. No. It would be nice in that it ticks off more on the indestructible front, but that's esoteric and stainless is pretry indestructible.
That weight is a good portion of why I love my asd2 and masamune

Also, I don't think I perfected the technique for ASD2 and omg I do love the ASD2 stand better. It is the best stand ever.
And tbh I still use the asd2 for some sensitive areas, but mostly I don't loke the teeth there. So if the SB masamune base is better than ASD2 I might sell it. However, currently I have to use both for the perfect shave, and as I am faster with asd2 and it's safer than OC certainly for the no fuss below knee to mid though super fast shower shave the ASD2 hasn't been dethroned.

Got my new baseplate! Can't wait to try it

Attachments

• 20220902_185905.jpg
    20220902_185905.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 17
Got my new baseplate! Can't wait to try it

I suspect you're going to love the Masamune straight bar plate if you've found the open comb a bit iffy in sensitive areas.

I'm back to my Masamune close comb... but will give the Nodachi closed comb plate another go later again once i'm back home.

I suspect you're going to love the Masamune straight bar plate if you've found the open comb a bit iffy in sensitive areas.

I'm back to my Masamune close comb... but will give the Nodachi closed comb plate another go later again once i'm back home.
Oh you are correct. I love this. It's so so smooth, but cuts so well. It was like squeegeeing my skin. It was kinda odd. There was very little feedback any hair was being cut. I have found a new favorite razor.
I am making a trade for the Nodachi head and around have that in a week.
Can't wait to see Nodachi head Masamune base bs Masamune head Nodachi base.

Today I had a really nice two pass shave with the Masamune. For those who have not tried the Nacet blade in this razor, I strongly recommend trying.
It does not work well for me with the other configurations for some reason.
Playing a little with pressure was also a game changer with this razor. Every time I mention pressure, people go off their hinges for some reason:)

Today I had a really nice two pass shave with the Masamune. For those who have not tried the Nacet blade in this razor, I strongly recommend trying.
It does not work well for me with the other configurations for some reason.
Playing a little with pressure was also a game changer with this razor. Every time I mention pressure, people go off their hinges for some reason:)
Nacets and Permasharp work best for me in the Masamune. You need SLIGHT pressure with a negative exposure razor

I can recommend BIC Chrome Platinum blades for Mazamune. This is very effective and allows you to control the shaving process. Amazing feeling.

I'm looking forward to giving them a try in my Masamune... as I'm going on a trip to Chicago next month, I ordered 100 of the BIC Chrome and, err, some other things.

After all... the +/- 850 Gillette London Bridge & 75 or so Feathers I have (all of which work very nicely in a Masamune) won't last forever.
:a35:

ps It has just occurred to me that I really ought to take this opportunity to get a bottle of Lilac Vegetal.

Last edited:
Tatara single edge razor?
:eek2:

Here's a survey from Tatara asking for your opinion on the matter...

From this thread on Reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/wicked_edge/comments/xe10qm

I confess to being curious if Tatara could make a quality version of the Broman - De blade snapped in half and use 2 single edges as a pivoting, supported blade, one pass close DFS/near BBS shave... or even a decent quality version of the Twig which has it's weight at the wrong end and shaves terribly (for me).

It’s a nice looking bowl. Is the inside textured or smooth?
It is a nice porcelain and heavy but not too heavy. It is textured and is very superior to smooth which I was using before. Also I loke the stand handle bottom. I certainly think all was worth it. The bowl is so cheap at loke 21 I think. Yeah for sure.

I love this razor, its design looks beautiful. I finally found a Tatara Masamune with both caps and a stand for a great deal. I will post pics once I get them in the mail. I must admit not a huge fan of the Nodachi handle. But I am thinking of ordering the Nodachi plates to go on the Masamune handle.

I love this razor, its design looks beautiful. I finally found a Tatara Masamune with both caps and a stand for a great deal. I will post pics once I get them in the mail. I must admit not a huge fan of the Nodachi handle. But I am thinking of ordering the Nodachi plates to go on the Masamune handle.
my next razor to try and agree on the handles :) and having the other plates !
also love the fact they put the plates and some tech what each one offers in combinations ! its the little things like that IMHO that show the company is really into it and the customer

Top Bottom