What's new

Tatara or Karve?

You made a good choice.

In answer to your earlier question, I suspect Shane chose to replicate the 1st generation OC to accentuate the differences between the two models he was going to offer, the ultra-smooth SB version and the aggressive OC. The 'improvements' that were made between the first- and second-generation OC essentially served to make lt less aggressive.

Having said all that, I am pretty sure you will love the Tradere SB.

Yeah...but I wish it was a choice between 2nd Gen OC or SB. In that case I would go with OC.

Happy with the choice.
It's gorgeous, at least to me.
The Tatara just looks a bit clinical.

Congrats & nice choice. I really like my Tatara's and Karve, however some of those Blackland's look really nice, I may regret viewing their website.

I know that juno has made his choice but for those who are still interested in the comparison I have the Tatara with the short handle (they don't have that option on their website but they've made a limited production... if you're interested you have to contact their customer service), and the Karve OC with B and D plates. Tatara is the nodachi handle and base with masamune cap. Because of the thinner head on the Tatara it feels more like a precision instrument. It's more efficient than the Karve with B plate but Karve feels smoother, with less worry about getting cuts. I just got them both a week ago and for the first time in a long while I didn't get a single weeper with either razor. I have an extra sensitive skin with thick beard without a particular growth pattern.

Attachments

• 20200714_161222.jpg
    20200714_161222.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 71
  • 20200714_161313.jpg
    20200714_161313.jpg
    626.2 KB · Views: 70
Could you please explain the difference between both of their razors. I know it is more than handle length on the second one. The head is different too, yes. Still interested...💙

Could you please explain the difference between both of their razors. I know it is more than handle length on the second one. The head is different too, yes. Still interested...💙
If I understand correctly you're talking about the difference between Masamune and Nodachi. Masamune cap and base are the mildest. I like to be somewhere between mild and aggressive. Combining the nodachi base with the Masamune cap gives me that balance.

So can anyone describe the difference between their two razors? Other tham handle length.

So can anyone describe the difference between their two razors? Other tham handle length.
As I described.... besides the difference in handles, Masamune is milder than Nodachi.... but you can mix the bases and caps so you can have something in the middle.

You do realize of course that pretty much everyone on this forum will tell you to get all of the razors you listed, try them out and then sell the ones you don't like on the BST.

Now before you take that advice, you'll have to ask yourself the question as to how realistic it is that you'll ever sell any of those stunning razors on the BST.

Speaking for myself, I would find a way of getting all of them, tell myself I will sell the ones I don't like and then find a reason why I need to keep them all. You on the other hand may have more willpower than I do.
My rationalization is a bit different. I KNOW I won’t sell off anything so I tell my self it’s ultimately for my 4 sons and soon-to-be son-in-law. They are unknowingly enabling me. (Note: of the 5 young men, 2 sons occasionally wet shave and 1 is a true budding aficionado).

I know that juno has made his choice but for those who are still interested in the comparison I have the Tatara with the short handle (they don't have that option on their website but they've made a limited production... if you're interested you have to contact their customer service), and the Karve OC with B and D plates. Tatara is the nodachi handle and base with masamune cap. Because of the thinner head on the Tatara it feels more like a precision instrument. It's more efficient than the Karve with B plate but Karve feels smoother, with less worry about getting cuts. I just got them both a week ago and for the first time in a long while I didn't get a single weeper with either razor. I have an extra sensitive skin with thick beard without a particular growth pattern.

Thanks for posting this comparison. I wouldn't have thought to ask the folks at Tatara for a shorter handle. Another temptation to be given in to.

June you made a good choice buying from shane - with his superb customer service you can be assured you will get an excellent razor

I have the Masamune which is the original model that Tatara made. I haven't used the nodachi or the karve. I can tell you that photos cannot bring across how beautiful the tatara fit and finish is. It has literally perfect build quality and holds the blade more solidly than any other razor I own. The surface sheen and texture is pearlescent and unique. It is unmistakable in looks and no other razor looks at all like it and it embodies minimalistic modern design values.

Although the safety bar is narrower than those of some other razors, it is the most comfortable razor that I currently own. It is efficient enough for my purposes as I am a daily shaver and I have sensitive skin and light stubble.

The nodachi has more blade gap and exposure than the masamune so if you want more aggression the nodachi is the way to go. Much like the karve family of plates you can mix an match the handles, the caps and the base plates off the nodachi and the Masamune to customise your razor.

I know that juno has made his choice but for those who are still interested in the comparison I have the Tatara with the short handle (they don't have that option on their website but they've made a limited production...

How is the mini Nodachi handle? I have the mini Masamune handle on my Masamune head. Didn't like the original Nodachi handle due to size and weight but maybe the mini version is better?

@juno

The Tatara Masamune is the original design
Mild and smooth with negative blade exposure -0.13, 0.63 gap

Masamune-Matte-Closed-600x600.jpg

The Masamune Nodachi is the more aggressive/efficient version
Smooth with much more blade exposure +0.13 and larger gap 0.90

Nodachi-Matte-Closed-600x600.jpg

All the individual parts can be combined to vary exposure and gap.
Masamune and Nodachi OC plates are available.

Combine parts of your Masamune razor.png

June you made a good choice buying from shane - with his superb customer service you can be assured you will get an excellent razor

I have the Masamune which is the original model that Tatara made. I haven't used the nodachi or the karve. I can tell you that photos cannot bring across how beautiful the tatara fit and finish is. It has literally perfect build quality and holds the blade more solidly than any other razor I own. The surface sheen and texture is pearlescent and unique. It is unmistakable in looks and no other razor looks at all like it and it embodies minimalistic modern design values.

Although the safety bar is narrower than those of some other razors, it is the most comfortable razor that I currently own. It is efficient enough for my purposes as I am a daily shaver and I have sensitive skin and light stubble.

The nodachi has more blade gap and exposure than the masamune so if you want more aggression the nodachi is the way to go. Much like the karve family of plates you can mix an match the handles, the caps and the base plates off the nodachi and the Masamune to customise your razor.
Thank you for that info
That his what I was looking for.🌞

Thank you every one.
I ordered a Tradere but am still very interested in this razor.
To quote the Twilight Zone:

Room for one more, Honey
😆

How is the mini Nodachi handle? I have the mini Masamune handle on my Masamune head. Didn't like the original Nodachi handle due to size and weight but maybe the mini version is better?

If I was to go with regular handles I would've definitely chosen the Masamune. On the mini versions they're the same length I believe, and I prefer the nodachi ever so slightly from pure aesthetics. If I was to get another tatara I would get the black mini Masamune open comb.

Top Bottom