What's new

Tatara Nodashi vs. Blackland Blackbird

Are the two comparable in efficiency? Which top cap for the nodacho is more efficient?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Note mine; credit to JoeLr in another forum:
proxy.php

I absolutely love my Nodachi, especially for head shaves. I do think that it's quite picky when it comes to blades but that's a small price to pay, it's actually one of my only razors that can make the Gillette Rubies sing. For me, the Nodachi is not really a daily driver, it shines when going up against a couple of days growth.

Apparently they're working on an adjustable razor, I'm very curious if they can keep the same balance of smoothness and efficiency in that one.

So if I am reading this right, the nocachi cap coupled with the CC Masamune Nodachi would be the most efficient?

Yes, with that table but there is the OC Nodachi plate, same gap and exposure...

Apparently they're working on an adjustable razor, I'm very curious if they can keep the same balance of smoothness and efficiency in that one.

Hope they can keep the head compact like the first two razors.

Hope they can keep the head compact like the first two razors.
I'd love to see that. Should be interesting. Although I'm not a great admirer of adjustable razors.
I'm also not that fond of adjustable razors, at least not the ones with a twist-to-adjust mechanism. But I'm very curious what the guys at Tatara will come up with, their first 2 razors were designed brilliantly!

Could someone who's tried both of these elegant razors offer insights as to which one they would prefer? Thanks!

.... I prefer a Blackbird a little more.
Thanks! I think most would agree with that. I don't understand what attracts me so much to the looks of the Tatara even though for me it's all about qualities of a shave. Plus with Tatara I can tone down the aggressiveness by changing the baseplate to Masumane. At the same time, I cannot ignore the sheer respect Blackbird receives. Really hard choice for me ;((

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks! I think most would agree with that. I don't understand what attracts me so much to the looks of the Tatara even though for me it's all about qualities of a shave. Plus with Tatara I can tone down the aggressiveness by changing the baseplate to Masumane. At the same time, I cannot ignore the sheer respect Blackbird receives. Really hard choice for me ;((

You can fine tune the Blackbird, to some degree, by choosing the OC vs SB plate. ;)

I have both of these razors and each deliver consistent BBS shaves, both are also beautifully made and finished. Of the two my preference is the Blackbird but then it is my favourite de razor above all the others in my collection.

I have both of these razors and each deliver consistent BBS shaves, both are also beautifully made and finished. Of the two my preference is the Blackbird but then it is my favourite de razor above all the others in my collection.

Agree. But Alpha Shaving Outlaw is a close contender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. But Alpha Shaving Outlaw is a close contender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I have the Outlaw as well and it also gives excellent shaves. All three give the same BBS results but I put the Nodachi and the Outlaw just below the Blackbird, I prefer the feedback and feel of the Blackbird during the shave.

You can fine tune the Blackbird, to some degree, by choosing the OC vs SB plate. ;)
Thanks David! Tatara has two main SB plates: Masumane (less aggressive) and Nodachi (more aggressive), each of the two has a solid bar and open comb version. There are also two top caps, Masumane and Nodachi, to change blade gap and exposure.

With Blackbird, there is only one solid bar. If it turns out to be too aggressive for me, I wouldn't be able to tone it down. I so much wanted to try Tatara but it sounds like most people give the upper edge to Blackbird. Most likely I'll go with the Blackbird. Tatara handles are just gorgeous ;))

Is this the Masasume Nodachi Razor shown here

or did you need to mix and match?

Yes, that is the one. Nodachi has its own very own longer handle, baseplate, and top cap. This is the more aggressive version.

There is also a milder version of Tatara known as Masumane, again with its own handle, base plate and top cap.

Some people take the middle road approach to tone down the aggressiveness of Nodarchi by getting the Nodachi top cap with Masumane baseplate. You can also choose between the Masumane or Nodachi handle.

Both Masumane and Nodachi baseplates have a an open comb option as well.

Yes, that is the one. Nodachi has its own very own longer handle, baseplate, and top cap. This is the more aggressive version.

There is also a milder version of Tatara known as Masumane, again with its own handle, base plate and top cap.

Some people take the middle road approach to tone down the aggressiveness of Nodarchi by getting the Nodachi top cap with Masumane baseplate. You can also choose between the Masumane or Nodachi handle.

Both Masumane and Nodachi baseplates have a an open comb option as well.

Thank you. I was having a hard time getting my head around the various combinations.

It would appear that @Shavemd likes the neutral combo, Masamune plate + Nodachi cap.

Doesn’t really help that they call it the Masamune Nodachi and the Masamune.

Individual elements can be combined to vary the shave. Tatara have a chart explaining this.

Or... if you aren’t in a rush Tatara is preparing to release their new adjustable hopefully soon.

Top Bottom