What's new

Tatara Nodachi Breaking a Blade!

Never cracked a blade in my Tataras, but equally can't easily seat the Kai blade. The tolerances are super tight so maybe something was off, and if it is they will make it right.
The Kai blade center hole and slots are not Gillette standard so will present issues with some razors. I really have to press the Kai hard into the cap for it to seat in the Nodachi head.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

The Kai blade center hole and slots are not Gillette standard so will present issues with some razors. I really have to press the Kai hard into the cap for it to seat in the Nodachi head.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
Hey! Thanks for checking up on me lol. Its not quite as smooth as I remember however really committing to just this razor for a week made a world of difference, since I could really nail the angle. Sometimes I forget that having multiple razors can be a detriment. Ordered the Masamune baseplate so curious as to whether its a little smoother as a daily shaver!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
It’s all good. Thanks for the update!

The difference between razors is so trivial, yet our hair and nerve endings disagree

thombrogan

Dang.

Would the negative exposure of the plain ol’ Masamune work better for you or does the Nodachi because it’s done quicker?

Dang.

Would the negative exposure of the plain ol’ Masamune work better for you or does the Nodachi because it’s done quicker?
Honestly; its incredibly hard to say. Every razor i have used as performed better or worse seemingly on its individual merits and design, however the blade gap and the exposure rarely perfectly corresponds with a better or worse shave. It seems like it just depends on the geometry of the shaving tool itself. Still, after going through so many high end razors I unfortunately still think the Merkur 37c is the best performing razor I have ever used. Funny that my first razor was so perfect and yet I have gone on this exorbitant journey to find the perfect SS or Titanium razor! Makes me kick myself sometimes lol

thombrogan

I unfortunately still think the Merkur 37c is the best performing razor I have ever used.

If you haven’t sold it off, that’s great news! Your upgrade razor is just a frantic search in the bathroom away.

Funny that my first razor was so perfect and yet I have gone on this exorbitant journey to find the perfect SS or Titanium razor! Makes me kick myself sometimes lol

It’s easy to write that off as a ‘Fear of Missing Out,’ but there are infinite ways to design a blade holder and several dozens of them might be gentler and more efficient on your skin and hair type than a 37C so it was a valiant attempt and you nabbed some classy razors along the way.

I‘m hoping further use transforms your Tatara Masamune Nodachi into your be-all/end-all razor because they seem wicked cool and the standard Nodachi handle looks like an underweight Dalek.

Last edited:
What news on the blades breaking? It seems that was a possible defective blade or an unusual event; I would think the latter.
Hasnt happened again, honestly sometimes i overtighten my razors so it was probably my own fault. I kinda took the experience as a nod to how effectively the Tatara clamps the blade lol

Top Bottom