What's new

Tatara Masamune VS Rex Ambassador

Hey everyone!

I'm looking for a new razor, most of mine are vintage Gillettes. I just received the PAA Copper Ascension and man that razor is efficient. I am considering the "TATARA MASAMUNE" or "REX AMBASSADOR". As both seem to be highly rated from my research. I added a picture of my current razor lineup minus the Copper Ascension. I know these two razors are pretty different each in their own way. But I was hoping to get some guidance from those that have used both of these razors. Oh, I forgot to add the Masamune I would go with the open comb version.

Attachments

• tempImageSfoU87.png
    tempImageSfoU87.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 36
Have a rex want to get the tatara

so not used both but the rex IMHO is very blade forward and not comfy for me :) but its efficient
I also prefer lighter razors where the rex feels very solid in a well balanced way and for me maybe one of the nicest grippy handles I have ever felt I just love the looks and build just to much for my face to handle daily

Tatara no contest. Rex isn't even in the same class, feels clunky by comparison. My Rex, had two, both rusted. No longer have them.

The feel, balance, and craftsmanship of Tatara razors are good. Really good. My daily shaver when using a DE is a Tatara adjustable. Has replaced my AS-D2 which sits neglected in a drawer.

Tatara no contest. Rex isn't even in the same class, feels clunky by comparison. My Rex, had two, both rusted. No longer have them.

The feel, balance, and craftsmanship of Tatara razors are good. Really good. My daily shaver when using a DE is a Tatara adjustable. Has replaced my AS-D2 which sits neglected in a drawer.
Wow! Good to know, and this is the kind of guidance I was looking for.

Reactions: ctr
This guy is on the right track. 😁
Lol, I feel that I am at that spot where if I got both I could say that I am done buying razors as nothing on the market seems to catch my interest. I just got a deal on the Masamune in a bundle deal from another member of B&B that I could not pass up! If a used Ambassador comes my way for the right price it will be hard to not get it.

Brushes though are a hole rabbit hole and of course soaps and splashes.

I asked the same question recently. I ended up buying both. I'll post a comparison maybe in a few days...along with a number of other similar razors in that class.
I got a deal on the Masamune in a bundle deal from another member of B&B that I could not pass up! I will look forward to your comparison. If a used Ambassador comes my way for the right price it will be hard to not get it.

Hey, I was just searching Rex Ambassador rust and came across your post. I have an Ambassador which I purchased in December 2020. Today I took it out to use and when I moved the adjustment dial it made a clunk sound like it was jammed and then freed up. Upon close inspection it appears the cylinder barrel of the blade tray neck has some spots of rust, which is making it jam. See attached photo.
Now, I'm pretty disappointed with this seeing as Rex products are not cheap. I haven't reached out to RE as I'm sure they'll blame me saying I have not let the razor dry properly after use. But, I never leave blades in after use and I thoroughly clean all my razors after every shave and leave them disassembled to dry over night before they're put away, so I'm a bit upset this has happened tbh.
I am aware that this part, along with other parts, can be purchased via Rex Supply Co.'s website, but I feel a razor which is marketed to last for decades shouldn't need replacement parts being in use for only 2yrs. I have around 20 razors in my collection and none have shown signs of rust, only the Ambassador. I have a Rex Konsul XL and now I'm worried that'll succumb to the same issue over time. I have a razor stand which I hang the Rex razors on, they're hung upside down and left overnight to ensure any water runs out of them/ dries. I even clean inside the handle with a cue tip to dry any excess water, and despite this there are small signs of rust inside the handle too!
I agree about the Tatara razors too they're excellent! I have both the Nodachi and Masamune and I prefer them to my Rex.

Attachments

• IMG_5131.jpg
    IMG_5131.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 109

I just bought the Ambassador XL and gave back my Rockwell T2 SS. It sounds like the Tatara Adjustable is not as aggressive as the Rex. Am I correct or misreading some of the reviews. Not sure how the Tatara would compare to the T2. If you have any guidance, I would appreciate it, I am a newbie.

Just to be sure we're all on the same page. Are we comparing one adjustable razor (Rex Ambassador) with another adjustable razor (Tatara Muramasa) or with a non-adjustable razor (Tatara Masamune)?

BTW I'm not familiar with any of the Rex razors. I use both the Masamune and the Nodachi--both SS and both SB--in rotation. The Nodachi is noticeably more efficient and a bit less smooth than the Masamune. The Nocadhi handle is a lot longer, wider, and heavier. You can split the difference by interchanging parts from the two razors. More an more, I find myself gravitating toward the Nodachi, but it's a close call. Both are among the most effective, best designed, and easiest-to-use of the 15-20 DE razors I've used over the years.

I just bought the Ambassador XL and gave back my Rockwell T2 SS. It sounds like the Tatara Adjustable is not as aggressive as the Rex. Am I correct or misreading some of the reviews. Not sure how the Tatara would compare to the T2. If you have any guidance, I would appreciate it, I am a newbie.

I have no experience with Rockwell. Will say take a hard pass on the Rex.

Had 2 rust within a year. Don't care for the seller either.
I completely understand. That would upset me also. So far my interaction with their customer service has been outstanding. I bought the Konsul and it Really didn't agree with me. They issued the call tag for the return and no other fees were assessed. They have been prompt in answering my questions. Hopefully the Ambassador works for me, if not.........
thanks for your reply.

Seen all REX’s they remind me of Military Tank, not beauty queens, fighting Vechicles.

Know couple of people who love their REX’s.

Think the REX is like some things like VW Bug, take time love.

I have the Rex and the Muramasa. I like both for different reasons.
The build quality and tolerances on the Muramasa is at a different level.
It is also the only razor I know of that has a dynamic adjustment range. The blade exposure and the gap is adjusted at the same time. You get some of the same effects with the Rex, but it is not the same.
The Muramasa is much smoother, but does not have the same efficiency at the higher settings. Setting 1 and two seems almost useless on the Muramasa, while the Rex is quite efficient even at low settings.
The blade feels like it is perfectly balanced in the Muramasa, while the rex seems a little unrefined.

I have the Rex and the Muramasa. I like both for different reasons.
The build quality and tolerances on the Muramasa is at a different level.
It is also the only razor I know of that has a dynamic adjustment range. The blade exposure and the gap is adjusted at the same time. You get some of the same effects with the Rex, but it is not the same.
The Muramasa is much smoother, but does not have the same efficiency at the higher settings. Setting 1 and two seems almost useless on the Muramasa, while the Rex is quite efficient even at low settings.
The blade feels like it is perfectly balanced in the Muramasa, while the rex seems a little unrefined.
great evaluation. obviously, the tatara is milder than the Rex. So, I am curious if you have any experience with the Rockwell T2 Stainless. I have seen other posters describe them both as mild. Thanks

Top Bottom