What's new

Tatara Masamune vs Feather AS-D2

My first shave with the tatara masamune razor was absolutely horrible..I don't know if the blade that I used was a dud, or it was just a really bad shave. As a result I put it away for a good few months. I just recently tried it again, and tried it with several different blades like Kai, nacet, feather, Tatra,
I've been using it everyday the last two weeks, and each shave is getting better and more enjoyable. I'm getting the best BBS shaves I ever got..I don't find the razor as mild as the AS/D2, not even close. It's very efficient razor without being overly aggressive..But my opinion on the razor has totally changed..I'm even thinking about getting the nodachi baseplate ..i think we go crazy on the forum getting the latest greatest new razors, that we don't get time to enjoy and learn how to fully appreciate the work and effort the manufactors put in to designing these wonderful razors like the tatara masamune, nodachi etc. ..just my opionion..
I have all the different base plate and top cap combinations. I find myself reaching for the Masamune most of the time. I shave daily, so that might factor in. I find it quite a bit more efficient then the AS-D2.

Thanks for you review. I recently bought one with both SB and OC plates. Great razor, very comfortable and effective. See this topic for my experiences with it so far. Very nice razor and I am just as impressed. Unlike you, I like the original Masamune handle. Doesn't differ too much from my RR super knurl or Muhle R89 handle in length, which is fine for me.

Still experimenting with blades, but the razor doesn't seem too fussy about them, which I like. And by the way, the OC plate still is very comfortable and not aggressive, so you might give it a try as well ;-)
Do which base plate do you loke better?
I just have the OC. Trying to decide if the closed is worth buying.

I agree 100%. I love my Feather ASD2. I thought it was a perfect Rasor till I tried The Tartara Masamune.
I have the OC. Should I get the closed? Idk.
I will say they look so pretty together.
Also, of note. People not into DE shaving have all commented the silver one is prettier. Loke huh?
Idk I like the matching set.

Attachments

• 20220826_142148.jpg
    20220826_142148.jpg
    1,015.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20220826_142138.jpg
    20220826_142138.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
I agree 100%. I love my Feather ASD2. I thought it was a perfect Rasor till I tried The Tartara Masamune.
I have the OC. Should I get the closed? Idk.
I will say they look so pretty together.
Also, of note. People not into DE shaving have all commented the silver one is prettier. Loke huh?
Idk I like the matching set.
The SB plate is a little less efficient, but smoother. It is still a good step in the right direction compared to the Feater. They are quite similar.
The Muramasa is even better:)

The SB plate is a little less efficient, but smoother. It is still a good step in the right direction compared to the Feater. They are quite similar.
The Muramasa is even better:)
I so want that, but too pricey for me at the moment. I do want the solid plate though.

Reactions: JPO
I can understand your frustration with the Feather. The reason why I kept it so many years is because I am a consistent daily shaver (or at least was before working remotely), so the Feather is OK for this very narrow use-case. But as soon as you delay your shave, it just becomes a frustrating experience. I think Feather created a decent razor years ago, probably by accident, and they just sat on their laurels ever since, not really updating or improving on their design. I tried to purchase a base from them and they don't even sell one separately. Let alone spare parts if something were to happen to your razor. So yeah...the Masamune is the way to go.
I wanted to buy a new top plate because mine is scratched and like you discovered that they don’t sell parts, very unfortunate.

As far as resting on their laurels, they did recently put out a super ugly adjustable so they are doing some work, just not the kind that produces good results. :D

A couple of comments on your excellent review:

I think the packaging is biodegradable and given how low volume of a product it is, I think it’s an excellent choice by them. Yet the feather’s packaging looks more luxurious.

I actually prefer having no blade overhang. I find that more aesthetically pleasing and just lining up the edges of the razor without touching the blade locks the blade right in place.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've had both - the Feather was sold off pretty quickly, I think that the Tatara is a keeper. Mine's matte silver - the blackout model looks too much like a toy, but that's just me ..

As I get perfect shaves with my Feather as well as inexpensive razors like a Ball End Tech, I don't have the issues that so many of you seem to have. If I get a 100% shave with an AS-D2 every time I use it, am I going to get 101% with something else? The longest growth I can remember before shaving it off with a Feather might have been three days (camping) and there are plenty of videos on YT showing Feathers shaving off heavy growth without issue. Not saying there might not be other decent razors being made for big bucks as well but people like to be on bandwagons with the latest whiz-bang. I've had my AS-D2 for 7 years now, it's not going anywhere.

I wanted to buy a new top plate because mine is scratched and like you discovered that they don’t sell parts, very unfortunate.

As far as resting on their laurels, they did recently put out a super ugly adjustable so they are doing some work, just not the kind that produces good results. :D

A couple of comments on your excellent review:

I think the packaging is biodegradable and given how low volume of a product it is, I think it’s an excellent choice by them. Yet the feather’s packaging looks more luxurious.

I actually prefer having no blade overhang. I find that more aesthetically pleasing and just lining up the edges of the razor without touching the blade locks the blade right in place.

As I get perfect shaves with my Feather as well as inexpensive razors like a Ball End Tech, I don't have the issues that so many of you seem to have. If I get a 100% shave with an AS-D2 every time I use it, am I going to get 101% with something else? The longest growth I can remember before shaving it off with a Feather might have been three days (camping) and there are plenty of videos on YT showing Feathers shaving off heavy growth without issue. Not saying there might not be other decent razors being made for big bucks as well but people like to be on bandwagons with the latest whiz-bang. I've had my AS-D2 for 7 years now, it's not going anywhere.
The difference I notice so far is how close the shave is. The ASD2 could get me to what I thought was perfect. The difference between it an mach 3 was noticeable to the touch only.

The Masamune is better than mach 3 to the touch and stays there for awhile. While allowing blade choice other than feather.

For speed I am faster still with feather. Also people do comment about which one is prettier now that they are side by side and Festher has won all comments by people.

However I am thinking about selling the ASD2 with stand if interested. I want to get the whole Masamune base plate set

Wow the ASD2 went way up in price recently. 350 for the SS set

I think part of the problem with the Feather is that it might not be the best razor for beginners. When you do hit the right angle and pressure, yes pressure, it is a really good razor.

I was guilty of not giving this razor enough time before I moved on, but I am glad I kept it.

Used in combination with an artist club shavette as a final clean up pass razor it is hard to beat.

The difference I notice so far is how close the shave is. The ASD2 could get me to what I thought was perfect. The difference between it an mach 3 was noticeable to the touch only.

The Masamune is better than mach 3 to the touch and stays there for awhile. While allowing blade choice other than feather.

For speed I am faster still with feather. Also people do comment about which one is prettier now that they are side by side and Festher has won all comments by people.

However I am thinking about selling the ASD2 with stand if interested. I want to get the whole Masamune base plate set

Wow the ASD2 went way up in price recently. 350 for the SS set
As I've posted in other threads, BBS is BBS and I'm obsessive about it (as per my signature). My standard as rubbing against the grain, especially, in mown case, upwards from the jaw with taut skin. I get an equally good shave using a Feather (and a few other blades) in one of my old Techs, SSs, 195 and Slim. My realy point is, if the standard for BBS is 100%, no razor can shave 110%. I don't know anything about razors like Mach 3's or similar. And, BTW, I can get the same shave with the AS-D2 using any blade in my inventory (all of that is listed in my profile). In the end, if the equipment is good, it's all technique. Maybe guys with Goliath beards have different, unique circumstances, but for the rest of us average guys, one doesn't need any of these new razors (including the AS-D2) to get a perfect BBS shave if you know what you're doing.

As I already have an AS-D2, I'm not shopping for another. I see the set selling for $230-240 from the usual suspects.

I think part of the problem with the Feather is that it might not be the best razor for beginners. When you do hit the right angle and pressure, yes pressure, it is a really good razor.

I was guilty of not giving this razor enough time before I moved on, but I am glad I kept it.

Used in combination with an artist club shavette as a final clean up pass razor it is hard to beat.
Pressure?? Not needed with good blades, even other than Feathers. I'd still tell a beginner to get a ball end Tech but and AS-D2 will do just fine. I've tried all my blades in my AS-D2 but, now, exclusively use Feathers as I think the two were truly designed for each other though Kais work equally well.

And guys, I don't mean to be knocking other high zoot brands if it seems that I am, I'm saying that the AS-D2 is as good as it gets and is capable of shaving the toughest, wiry beards. Want something more aggressive, knock yourselves out. The boutique razor industry loves you! Honestly, the most interesting high zoot razor out there to my eyes are the ones from the very company this thread is discussing, Tatara.

Last edited:
Pressure?? Not needed with good blades, even other than Feathers. I'd still tell a beginner to get a ball end Tech but and AS-D2 will do just fine. I've tried all my blades in my AS-D2 but, now, exclusively use Feathers as I think the two were truly designed for each other though Kais work equally well.
Yeah I was surprised at the pressure comment as well. Because it’s so mild it is forgiving if one uses pressure, but pressure is not at all needed to get a good shave.

Pressure is subjective. I can get a really good shave with an R41, which does require a light touch. The Feather needs to be handled differently. A little more pressure is required in my opinion.
Blade choice also factor in here. Feather blades must be handled more carefully then milder blades.
The same goes for straight razors. A coticule edge can be used with more pressure then a 30k synthetic. Etc...

Not my experience but we all have differing points of view.
We probably don't disagree. You just need the right amount off pressure to get job done. Most of my shaves are with straight razors. So my reference might be different from yours.
I only ment that razors with neutral blade exposure allows you a little more to play with, and there can actually be something to gain from utilizing it.

We probably don't disagree. You just need the right amount off pressure to get job done. Most of my shaves are with straight razors. So my reference might be different from yours.
I only ment that razors with neutral blade exposure allows you a little more to play with, and there can actually be something to gain from utilizing it.
In a half century plus of wet shaving, I've never been near a straight razor so have absolutely zero knowledge of them or how to shave with one compared to a DE.

So I keep comparing. Ignore my earlier declaration. It was hasty. No so much in the things I like AR the things I like, but that my overall opinion is rather subjective and changes
When comparing the feather to masamune they shave equally well. I find the masamune to shave at an angle best that us more intuitive to me so I achieve it more. However, had I not used the feather prior I wouldn't have the same habits. So equal.
Also they shave equally well results wise.
I like the smallness of the masamune and think this is why I prefer it mostly. It fits in my hand better. I find it more maneuverable. +1
However, I can definitely hold the festher with a much lighter grip in the shower, and thus have a much lighter touch. Personal asthmatics aside the feather has the grippier grip. That makes certain things better and easier. +1
They are both indestructible and super precise and clamp that blade. Tie
Masamune has swappable parts. Cool.
Cool factor. Pretty.
While I was all like masamune it's so pretty obviously it wins. Nope. Visitors 100 percent agree feather is prettier looks higher end too. The knurling looks harder and the stand. I mean the stand for asd2 is art. It's just beautiful. Its definitely superior to masamune stand. Also feather included a rubber mat for it to sit on. +1

So. I am changing my mind. Feather wins technically even though I live using the masamune more.
However I have tiny hands and most guys like the feather handle better for that reason too.

Reactions: tm3
Top Bottom