What's new

Tatara Masamune vs Feather AS-D2

Nice review - have been thinking about this razor to replace my Henson AL-13 )partcularly as the Ti Henson is not available for some time now).

I'll just add that as many reviews mention the cork but seem unaware... Portugal is the biggest harvester of cork (about 50%).

Not only is cork NOT in any way 'rare' or expensive - "The cork industry is generally regarded as environmentally friendly.[7] Cork production is generally considered sustainable because the cork tree is not cut down to obtain cork; only the bark is stripped to harvest the cork.[8] The tree continues to live and grow. The sustainability of production and the easy recycling of cork products and by-products are two of its most distinctive aspects".

So now you'll know where all (most) of those wine bottle corks probably came from :001_smile

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Nice review - have been thinking about this razor to replace my Henson AL-13 )partcularly as the Ti Henson is not available for some time now).

I'll just add that as many reviews mention the cork but seem unaware... Portugal is the biggest harvester of cork (about 50%).

Not only is cork NOT in any way 'rare' or expensive - "The cork industry is generally regarded as environmentally friendly.[7] Cork production is generally considered sustainable because the cork tree is not cut down to obtain cork; only the bark is stripped to harvest the cork.[8] The tree continues to live and grow. The sustainability of production and the easy recycling of cork products and by-products are two of its most distinctive aspects".

So now you'll know where all (most) of those wine bottle corks probably came from :001_smile

Actually, the part that liked the most that you said, is about the sustainability of the cork industry, due to the fact that the trees are never cut down. In America, when a tree is cut down for either paper or lumber, a new one is planted in its place, but as we all know, it can take a good 100-years for a tree to grow enough to be ready for the next harvesting. So even if we plant new trees, I still think the cork industry in Portugal is more sustainable.

Loved the review as I've had my eyes on this razor (or some combination) for a while.

I currently use and enjoy the Merkur 34g and Henson ++. The Henson is more enjoyable by far, but I've only had the Merkur for a month or two.

Does anyone have any experience with both the Masamune and the Henson? I'd love to know how they compare in terms of efficiency and smoothness.

If you are going to buy another part from Tatara, I strongly suggest the Nodachi base.

Tatara Masamune with the Nodachi base is so good, that we at the "Tatara Samurai Sword Alliance" thread decided to give it a name: "Tatara Masadachi"

I can understand your frustration with the Feather. The reason why I kept it so many years is because I am a consistent daily shaver (or at least was before working remotely), so the Feather is OK for this very narrow use-case. But as soon as you delay your shave, it just becomes a frustrating experience. I think Feather created a decent razor years ago, probably by accident, and they just sat on their laurels ever since, not really updating or improving on their design. I tried to purchase a base from them and they don't even sell one separately. Let alone spare parts if something were to happen to your razor. So yeah...the Masamune is the way to go.
I can tell you, it was not by accident. I have worked a long time (more than 20 years) with Japanese Engineering and I can almost guarantee that razor was designed to for the target market they intended it for.

Does anyone have any experience with both the Masamune and the Henson? I'd love to know how they compare in terms of efficiency and smoothness.
The Masamune has negative blade exposure while the Henson has positive blade exposure. The Henson medium has a perceptible blade feel compared to the Henson mild. The Masamune is very smooth and comfortable, very capable of a close shave in 3 comfortable passes.

My first shave with the tatara masamune razor was absolutely horrible..I don't know if the blade that I used was a dud, or it was just a really bad shave. As a result I put it away for a good few months. I just recently tried it again, and tried it with several different blades like Kai, nacet, feather, Tatra,
I've been using it everyday the last two weeks, and each shave is getting better and more enjoyable. I'm getting the best BBS shaves I ever got..I don't find the razor as mild as the AS/D2, not even close. It's very efficient razor without being overly aggressive..But my opinion on the razor has totally changed..I'm even thinking about getting the nodachi baseplate ..i think we go crazy on the forum getting the latest greatest new razors, that we don't get time to enjoy and learn how to fully appreciate the work and effort the manufactors put in to designing these wonderful razors like the tatara masamune, nodachi etc. ..just my opionion..

Last edited:
My first shave with the tatara masamune razor was absolutely horrible..I don't know if the blade that I used was a dud, or it was just a really bad shave. As a result I put it away for a good few months. I just recently tried it again, and tried it with several different blades like Kai, nacet, feather, Tatra,
I've been using it everyday the last two weeks, and each shave is getting better and more enjoyable. I'm getting the best BBS shaves I ever got..I don't find the razor as mild as the AS/D2, not even close. It's very efficient razor without being overly aggressive..But my opinion on the razor has totally changed..I'm even thinking about getting the nodachi baseplate ..i think we go crazy on the forum getting the latest greatest new razors, that we don't get time to enjoy and learn how to fully appreciate the work and effort the manufactors put in to designing these wonderful razors like the tatara masamune, nodachi etc. ..just my opionion..

Well... as a fellow Masamune lover.. I did order and have tried the Nodachi plate with Masamune top cap. Now, some do love this combination.. but for me, oh dear

with either Feather or my current London Bridge blades, got cuts and weepers even in new areas - and today's shave after a day off for my skin to recover was back to comfort and close safe excellence with the Masamune plate.

I'll be trying the Masamune Open Comb tomorrow...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well... as a fellow Masamune lover.. I did order and have tried the Nodachi plate with Masamune top cap. Now, some do love this combination.. but for me, oh dear

with either Feather or my current London Bridge blades, got cuts and weepers even in new areas - and today's shave after a day off for my skin to recover was back to comfort and close safe excellence with the Masamune plate.

I'll be trying the Masamune Open Comb tomorrow...

Be careful with any blade that has wax on it using this combination, especially. I have found that ANY wax remaining on a blade will distort the edge lengthwise when clamped in a razor like the Tataras. The wide gap of the Masadachi makes any ripple especially noticeable and uncomfortable for shaving. I finally had two great shaves with an Astra SP. All wax was removed and I finally got a great close and comfortable shave with that blade.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I agree with almost everything in your reveiw. I have owned the Feather ASD2 and the Masamune. I ended up one step further with my mild razors. I tried the Henson. For me I preferred it to both the Feather and Masamune as good as they are. Henson's machining and tolerances are no slouch, but the Masamune was very artistic compared to most razors.

At the moment I own three DE. Henson in mild, Rexx Envoy, and the Stainless R41. Sort of one end of the spectrum to the other.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I don't find the razor as mild as the AS/D2, not even close. It's very efficient razor without being overly aggressive.
I found that as well. When I first tried the Masmune, I found it way more efficient that ASD2. At the time I also had a Blackland Blackbird and to me the Masmune was just a tighter clamped blade, but the shave delivered was very similar. It was easier to go ATG with the Masamune than the Blackbird.

Later as I got my Feather AS/D2 technique down, that razor became more efficient than it was but still behind the Masamune. But agreed, the Masamune is not as mild as the AS/D2.

Last edited:
Off topic but I get confused by all the names with the Masamune, Nodachi, different caps, different base plates.

Masamune = milder, Nodachi = more aggressive
Masamune top cap = negative blade exposure, Nodachi top cap = positive blade exposure
Masamune plates blade gap = .63 or .73mm, Nodachi plates blade gap = .90mm (OC or SB)
Masamune Handle = 89x11mm, Nodachi Handle = 12.5x105mm

All these items may be interchanged to build the razor you want.

And then there is the Muramasa adjustable.

IMHO these razors are made with beautiful precision craftsmanship.

Off topic but I get confused by all the names with the Masamune, Nodachi, different caps, different base plates.
It doesn't help that officially both the non-adjustable Tataras have 'Masamune' in their official name - the 'Masamune' and the 'Masamune Nodachi'... but you can make it up how you like as below (i'd recommend Masamune open & closed comb if you like Henson Mild), see the table for how the options affect blade gap & exposure

Screenshot 2022-07-07 at 16.44.26.png

Screenshot 2022-07-07 at 16.44.38.png

linty1

My wallet cries.
Thanks for the info, I've been eyeing either a full masamune set, or a masamune with the nodachi top cap... but having trouble deciding which way to go.

Thanks for the info, I've been eyeing either a full masamune set, or a masamune with the nodachi top cap... but having trouble deciding which way to go.
I wish I got the Nodachi cap. The full Masamune is very comfortable and forgiving but I wish for a little more efficiency. By mid day it doesn’t look like I shaved in the morning

Masamune = milder, Nodachi = more aggressive
Masamune top cap = negative blade exposure, Nodachi top cap = positive blade exposure
Masamune plates blade gap = .63 or .73mm, Nodachi plates blade gap = .90mm (OC or SB)
Masamune Handle = 89x11mm, Nodachi Handle = 12.5x105mm

All these items may be interchanged to build the razor you want.

And then there is the Muramasa adjustable.

IMHO these razors are made with beautiful precision craftsmanship.
Thanks a lot. That's really helpful.

Top Bottom