What's new

Tatara Masamune Suitable Upgrade from Karve?

Do you have any interest to try to the Overlander? Curious on your thoughts as I feel we share similarities with mild razors & sensitivity.
It was on my short list with Yates and Blutt and I realized pretty quickly that I like to shave shallow. The Yates was a cheese grater on my skin and the Overlander was described as a steeper angle shave with a very fixed angle of attack. I ended up buying the Blutt. I have not written the review, but that razor is insanely good.

It was on my short list with Yates and Blutt and I realized pretty quickly that I like to shave shallow. The Yates was a cheese grater on my skin and the Overlander was described as a steeper angle shave with a very fixed angle of attack. I ended up buying the Blutt. I have not written the review, but that razor is insanely good.
Did you go with the .67?

Not sure about the Masamune, but I have Tatara Masamura and Karve Overlander, and both are excellent mild razors. The Tatara is a bit unique being adjustable.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had my first shave today with a 24K Gold plated (courtesy of Chris Spencer @ Back Roads Gold) Overlander today... What a great razor and a lovely shave. I used a Gillette 7 O'clock black blade (3rd use) and couldn't be more pleased.

The razor is so intuitive... it's like it guides you... letting you know the correct angle. Very mild but also efficient. Perfect for me. I shave every other day and it had no problem with my old guy, grey whiskers. A relaxing, no worries shave.

I had my first shave today with a 24K Gold plated (courtesy of Chris Spencer @ Back Roads Gold) Overlander today... What a great razor and a lovely shave. I used a Gillette 7 O'clock black blade (3rd use) and couldn't be more pleased.

The razor is so intuitive... it's like it guides you... letting you know the correct angle. Very mild but also efficient. Perfect for me. I shave every other day and it had no problem with my old guy, grey whiskers. A relaxing, no worries shave.
When I eventually get my Overlander, I'll absolutely be sending it to Chris. He did a wonderful job with my Gillette slim, I wouldn't send my gear anywhere else for replating.

Maybe give the Overlander some thought. Great razor that is mild yet very efficient.

The Tatara is a great razor as well. The Masamune is mild. I would at least look at Masamune base with Nodachi top cap. A nice sweet spot is Nodachi base with Masamune cap.
I believe we share similar tastes in razors (I think I saw where you posted that you liked the Yates 921-H). If I’m not experiencing a brain fart, then I’m on the right track with what’s in my cart at Tatara’s website.

Masamune cap, Nodachi baseplate and the shorter of the two handles offered. Either that or straight out Masamune but with the OC plate (seems like it would be equivalent to a RR Lupo.72)

I believe we share similar tastes in razors (I think I saw where you posted that you liked the Yates 921-H). If I’m not experiencing a brain fart, then I’m on the right track with what’s in my cart at Tatara’s website.

Masamune cap, Nodachi baseplate and the shorter of the two handles offered. Either that or straight out Masamune but with the OC plate (seems like it would be equivalent to a RR Lupo.72)
Yep, I love the Yates H….one of my best performers. The full Nodachi head would be the closest match to the Yates. I have the Nodachi plates on the Masamune handle…also have Masamune base and cap as well.

What you have picked out is a nice combo but will be more like the Yates M.

Yep, I love the Yates H….one of my best performers. The full Nodachi head would be the closest match to the Yates. I have the Nodachi plates on the Masamune handle…also have Masamune base and cap as well.

What you have picked out is a nice combo but will be more like the Yates M.
Good to know. Thanks.

Top Bottom