What's new

Tatara Masamune Open Comp ( Matte edition )

I stand corrected. I recall a discussion about the different grades of steel, but I could be wrong.

Not only they're irrational, but they re-evaluate the goods prices according to what THEY think they are worth, without looking at the receipt. Yes, it has happened to me. Like I said, things are pretty messed up. Never ever buying again outside the EU.

I'm not sure how difficult it is to machine 304 vs the 316 but considering 304 has 18% chromium vs 16% in 316.

Given what little differences there is in machining 304 vs 316 I'll choose 316 anyday.

I just joined the club. Given that I love my GC68, I went with the Masamune over the newer Nodachi. Pretty excited to give this sa spin when it makes it to my inbox.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I just joined the club. Given that I love my GC68, I went with the Masamune over the newer Nodachi.

A good choice, for me the Nodachi is too heavy (at least the handle is) and the original Masamune is much more comfortable. If you feel like you wanted to up the efficiency all you need is the Nodachi top cap.

First shave in the books this morning. Used APR soap and Rapira Plat Lux blade and I can honestly say that this shaved totally different from what I was expecting. I was expecting a shave similar to the RR GC68 due to the slightly negative blade exposure, but this shaved SO different.

First of all, tons of blade feel. No idea how it is possible, but the blade feel on this razor is similar to my Fatip Grande. Yet, I didn't cut myself at all. And, as is usual in razors that I consider to have more blade feel (like the Fatip Grande and GC84), the razor head doesn't run as effortlessly over the face as it would with a RR SLOC or RR GC. The audible feedback is very loud. the blade feels very rigid and this is what I imagine a straight razor shave to feel like.

At this point, I was a little worried, but proceeded through the 3rd pass and was blown away to find out that contrary to the reports I had read, the efficiency of this razor is impressive. 3 passes without cleanup yielded a ridiculously close shave with zero blood and irritation. In terms of efficiency, this might be the most efficient razor I own aside from the Fatip Grande, but unlike the Grande, this is forgiving enough to be a daily razor. My face looked like polished glass.

If I judge the shave on the end result, then I would have to say this is a keeper. If I judged the razor based on the in-shave comfort, then I would have to send it to WTB. For right now, I will experiment with a few sharper blades and some different angles.

First of all, tons of blade feel. No idea how it is possible, but the blade feel on this razor is similar to my Fatip Grande.

What angle did you use? When I get the right angle it is amazingly smooth for an open comb - if you are off slightly you can definitely feel the blade. How about pressure? The Masamune is lighter than many other SS razors and it is easy to apply a fraction too much pressure to the shave.

At this point, I was a little worried, but proceeded through the 3rd pass and was blown away to find out that contrary to the reports I had read, the efficiency of this razor is impressive. 3 passes without cleanup yielded a ridiculously close shave with zero blood and irritation. In terms of efficiency, this might be the most efficient razor I own aside from the Fatip Grande, but unlike the Grande, this is forgiving enough to be a daily razor. My face looked like polished glass.

Sounds like the efficiency was perfect.

Try a feather.

What angle did you use? When I get the right angle it is amazingly smooth for an open comb - if you are off slightly you can definitely feel the blade. How about pressure? The Masamune is lighter than many other SS razors and it is easy to apply a fraction too much pressure to the shave.

Tough question to answer. Since this was my first shave, I went with feel only...meaning I was trying to find the angle that would give me the best cutting action. I didn't really pay attention to the actual angle (steep or shallow). I definitely was light on the pressure though as I had zero weepers. Odds are it is going to take some time to find just the right angle.

Sounds like the efficiency was perfect. Try a feather.

Efficiency was indeed perfect, especially considering that my face felt like I hadn't really shaved at all...but using a feather? I don't think I am bold enough. I am probably going to give a Gillette Black or Nacet a run which are also crazy sharp, but not as rough on me as the Feathers I have used in the past.

I'm using a fairly neutral angle, but like you it is the angle that feels natural on the face. If you start with the cap and then bring the razor downwards you will find (after a few shaves) an angle that gives both smooth and close shaves.

Trust me the feather is no problem in this razor. The blade is so well supported that the Masamune really tames the feather. Nacets or Polsilvers are other good choices.

Good write up, Sch5. I started using a Tatara dark edition OC a few days ago.

I don’t know about Wolfman or RR razors or about metallurgy. But this razor is the real deal or me. (I have fair hair and a light-medium beard to match. I shave every morning.)

The Tatara weighs about the same as a Feather AS-D2, less than most stainless steel razors, and to me that’s a very good thing. Balance, grip and blade retention are superb. Handling is unusual. Tiny edges of the blade’s side tabs are exposed—enough to get a grip for removal and cleaning but not enough to be dangerous.

The shaving itself is more efficient than with my Techs and my Shavecraft 102 and about the same as with my ATT S1. With a decently sharp blade like a Polsilver, I get a long-lasting BBS with no scrapes or nicks. As SCh5 notes, ATG passes are especially pleasant and effective.

I’m curious about the safety bar baseplate for this beauty. Has anyone tried it?

Yes, the Nodachi holds the blade just like the original Masamune. Just has different blade exposure and a larger gap.

All the parts are interchangeable.

Masamune-Nodachi.png

Only wrinkle is that the purveyors on this side of the pond still charge WAY MORE than the VAT included Euro price.
Yeah I'm probably cutting my nose off to spite my face but it just sticks in my craw that they're collecting 24 Euros in sales tax and keeping it for themselves.

Second shave this morning. This time with an even sharper blade (Gillette Black). The result was identical to my first shave. The end result was an impressive BBS, but the shave itself is just lacking a little. The primary issue is that this razor just doesn't glide/cruise like my favorites (RR GC68 / RR SLOC / Fatip Gentile).

It is almost like the satin finish is what creates some friction.

Hard to argue with the final product though. To get a BBS this close and feel like one didn't even shave is just a foreign co cept for me as my Fatip Grande could get this close but would irritate my face. The GC84 was the closest thing to it, but there is almost no comparison between the Masamune and the 84. I get just as close but with zero discomfort. I have no idea how this is possible given the negative blade exposure.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Shave #3 today and more of the same. I really do think the angle I use is correct...but the razor just doesn't glide as well as others I own. Still the best BBS shave without irritation of any razor I own, so this one is here to stay even if I don't love the way it "runs" over my face.

The primary issue is that this razor just doesn't glide/cruise like my favorites (RR GC68 / RR SLOC / Fatip Gentile).

Interesting, I'm not aware of any friction or lack of glide when using mine. However, I haven't tried any of your mentioned razors and don't own any polished ones.

I really do think the angle I use is correct

I'm sure you have the right angle given the results you are getting.

Top Bottom