What's new

Tatara Masamune and PVD coating razors

Has anyone tried a Masamune razor? I see they will be releasing a Dark Masamune with a black PVD coating. Is PVD a pretty durable coating?

Can’t speak to the durability of the PVD (have had the Masamune Dark only a week), but I can say that so far I have zero regrets about purchasing this razor.

P.S. Love your handle/avatar!

Patti

Although the Dark Masamune looks awesome -- I did actually exchange mine for the regular steel version. I hope you got a stand with yours as I found the black was super easily removed from the handle. Customer service from Joao is outstanding.

The stand was part of the package, along with the two plates. But I have been reluctant to use the stand for fear that the metal-on-metal contact might damage the finish. Did you have trouble with scratches or just normal wear?

I don't have the stand, so the razor was just sitting on a shelf. Maybe it was the tiles in my bathroom but I felt it was almost rubbing off rather than scratching the finish.

For those with both, do you gravitate to the SB or OC?

I know the OC has a large blade gap, and I'm curious how the two shave since they both have negative blade exposure...

Any comparisons are welcome, especially to the 84 GC, ATT Windsor H, R41, or Timeless 95.

Well, this is my first OC so I've been using the SB. Have only tried the OC the one time with a feather and there is definitely more blade feel. The SB is very smooth even with the supplied feather. You can feel the blade. Would much prefer to try a Kai but they just don't fit.

Sorry, don't have any of those razors to compare with. A smoother ride than my Atlas R1 but that does have lot of blade exposed and isn't supported like the Masamune.

I too have only used the OC once, as I shave daily and so don’t normally need the extra OC oomph.

Nor do I have any of your comparison razors. The razors in my collection closest to the Masamune in terms of shave feel are the Blackbird and the Muhle Rocca R96 — but neither are great comparisons because the thin head on the Masamune has a unique feel. The Masamune does not permit sloppy technique but the proper angle is pretty intuitive. Very nimble and beautifully balanced. Really a joy to use — and gorgeous to behold.

Sorry can’t be of more assistance.

Patti

I too have only used the OC once, as I shave daily and so don’t normally need the extra OC oomph.

Nor do I have any of your comparison razors. The razors in my collection closest to the Masamune in terms of shave feel are the Blackbird and the Muhle Rocca R96 — but neither are great comparisons because the thin head on the Masamune has a unique feel. The Masamune does not permit sloppy technique but the proper angle is pretty intuitive. Very nimble and beautifully balanced. Really a joy to use — and gorgeous to behold.

Sorry can’t be of more assistance.

Patti
It's greatly appreciated. I've read quite a bit of reviews on the two you mentioned, and I briefly had a Dart, so that's something to go on.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the handle not being interchangeable too.

I enjoy handle-swapping myself -- and in general prefer a longer, heavier handle than the Masamune. But I don't feel at all short-changed with the Masamune's exclusive handle. To me it feels just right for this razor.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the handle not being interchangeable too.

For me the handle and weight is perfect. I don't remember where but I did read somewhere that Tatara will introduce more handles in the future.

If you have any questions I really would recommend talking to Joao at Tatara - he is super quick to reply to messages.

The Tatara OC is considerably milder than either the Timeless 95 or Gamechanger 84. I think it is a bit less efficient but still very capable. It's more effective ATG on my head than the Blackbird. It handles better than any of them.
For those with both, do you gravitate to the SB or OC?

I know the OC has a large blade gap, and I'm curious how the two shave since they both have negative blade exposure...

Any comparisons are welcome, especially to the 84 GC, ATT Windsor H, R41, or Timeless 95.

Top Bottom