What's new

tasteless candy-bars

Sigh...just purchased assorted boxes of candy-bars for Halloween, then proceeded to taste a few. They are basically tasteless.

I noticed the same thing several years ago from different snack cakes, and cookies.

Time was that if offered a piece of homemade cake or a local snack cake (Vachon in Canada) I would have a real hard time choosing. But today the homemade stuff still tastes just as good and the purchased ones are essentially tasteless. What I would give for a box of 1970's Dare Papineau cookies.

I feel sorry for the kids.

Is this sort of thing happening in your countries?

Yep, it's also why the 70 to 90% cocoa candy bars have taken off, so people can get the chocolate fix and taste real chocolate. IMO the King of Tasteless candy bars is the UNO candy bar. It's like eating air, whipped tasteless chocolate. After eating it you feel totally ripped off.
proxy.php

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Why do people buy these things? Lack of something better maybe. These things are supposed to be treats, as in once in a while stuff. Couldn't someone make something decent for maybe a nickle more?

Zero bars. I WANT to love them, but instead I feel simply meh. I always get excited when I purchase one and am ever left wondering WHY I bought it.

Ever since I found out about "natural and artificial flavoring", snack foods are just dull and leave me vaguely guilty/regretful. Ymmv...

I often wonder if they dusted off the old recipes, how much more money would the candy bars, cakes and cookies really be?

Probably only save less than .10 cents times millions of units. It all adds up replacing cocoa with carob. Anyone remember these? I didn't know they still made them, time to stock up, very addicting little buggers.
proxy.php

Anyone remember these? I didn't know they still made them, time to stock up, very addicting little buggers.
proxy.php

Oh yes, used to keep them in the fridge. Costco has them at Christmas time, but now called Icy Squares...haven't tried them in a long time.

upload_2018-10-30_11-23-9.jpeg

Probably only save less than .10 cents times millions of units. It all adds up replacing cocoa with carob. Anyone remember these? I didn't know they still made them, time to stock up, very addicting little buggers.
proxy.php
These are one of my mother's favorites as a child.
Found a place down the street than sells a package of them will close to 100 pieces of I remember correctly, and bought one for her. She was quite surprised to get them. I think they're pretty good as well.

I still love Neco wafers. Those still taste the same. Though I assume they were all made in 1973 and they release stock slowly...

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Can tell you THESE things are TOO tasty ...

proxy.php

Kids aren't going to get a ONE if I can help it!

MUAHAHAHAHAHA :devil2: :incazzato

AA

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
When you open a chocolate bar, it should smell like sin. The big companies don’t do chocolate very well.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
@Avvatar Wow. Neco Wafers. I do believe you win the prize for the item with the least amount of flavor. Neco Wafers are the rice cakes of cookies.

The best candy bar from the big companies is the new Hershey Gold. Not a bit of industrial chocolate in em.

And I still love the Nestle Chunky bars. To the point I am tempted to buy some good chocolate and make my own over the holidays.

Top Bottom