What's new

Tartine Bread

IMG_0631.JPG
Today's loaf is a seeded fougasse.

I've decided to branch out into my bread baking, and go whole hog into Rye, a horse of an entirely different color. To that end, I picked up 'The Rye Baker' by Stanley Ginsberg over the weekend. The recipes have the same level of detail and obsessiveness that I came to love in Ken Forkish's book, and I hope I have similar success. One bonus is the key role that sourdough plays in leavening, so I will have to up my game when it comes to maintaining the culture.

First recipe is under the belt, Boston Brown Bread, what is really a quick bread baked in a loaf pan, leavened with molasses and baking soda and made with rye, cornmeal and whole wheat. The key is a 3 hour bake at 200 F. It is quite good, if I do say so myself.

I've taken the next steps and ordered different varieties of rye flour and very high gluten wheat flour ('first clear') that will allow me to tackle the more common deli rye types of loaves. I will also make my own rye starter for this.

This sounds really interesting Bob, especially the Boston Brown Bread.
The only thing I've been baking lately is quiche, pizza, or dessert. I have been maintaining my starter though, I keep telling myself that I'll make a few loaves "soon" but it hasn't happened yet.

Rye supplies arrived today, and I've started building a rye starter from scratch, using only rye flour. Let's select the wild bacteria and yeasts that grow best on rye only.

I must say, the rye starter I began last night, using whole rye flour was actively fermenting 24 hours later. Nice volume expansion and good air holes in the dough. The book said the starter would be sufficiently robust for baking in about a week. My experience with wheat starter made me question that, but I think he might be right.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I must say, the rye starter I began last night, using whole rye flour was actively fermenting 24 hours later. Nice volume expansion and good air holes in the dough. The book said the starter would be sufficiently robust for baking in about a week. My experience with wheat starter made me question that, but I think he might be right.

proxy.php

Traditional Deli-Style rye bread is on the clock. My new rye starter is now fermenting in the first stage of a two part rye leaven. Step 2 is tomorrow morning, adding more rye flour and water to stage 1, for another 5 hours of fermentation. That will be followed by addition of very high gluten wheat flour, water and some yeast prior to proofing and baking.

Final percentages will be 60% wheat/40% rye. It's a little involved, but the timing and hands on effort is pretty reasonable.

The first loaf is in the books. This dough is tough to work with. Even with a lower hydration compared to the Tartine/Forkish wheat loaves, the rye dough is super sticky. As I don't have a stand mixer, hand kneading didn't work so well, so I resorted to stretching in the bowl.

The loaf turned out ok. I baked it on a pizza stone, and had good oven spring, but it was underproofed going into the oven. I'm pleased with the first go, actually. The taste is great, with a nice crust and chewy crumb.

Pastrami on rye for lunch, but I had to use Dijon mustard instead of Guldens brown. The sour of the rye leaven is really coming through in a good way now as well.

Dakota Norwegian Rye, hot out of the oven. It consists of an overnight-fermented medium rye-whole wheat leaven (~80% rye), mixed the next day with bread flour, yeast, salt, brown sugar and vinegar.

IMG_0772.JPG

Top Bottom