What's new

Taping Spines

Okay, I've got a question about Taping a spine

I understand the principle of it, and the 'protecting the spine' aspect of the operation, but well, I've a few questions about the angles and the like

Does the tape adjust the angle of the edge to assist, or hinder the shave in any way?

Does a taped spine shave 'smoother' then an untaped one?

And how many layers of tape is generally recommended for a razor? (say, one layer for a 5/8ths, two for a 6/8ths, so on)

I'm starting to wonder if it's cos I opposed taping a spine so much that my razors all tend to be rather, viscous, sharp, yes, but smooth? apparently not as much as I thought they would have, even after CrOx3...

I believe one of the primary complaints against pastes is that the edges they leave feel "not smooth" to some users. I only used them for a brief period of time so I can't speak to the reliability of such claims, but maybe you should send off a razor to Bart for a coticule sharpening to see if you prefer that edge to one off chrox paste.

Here is a little more information on angles for bevels from Coticlue.de. There is a spreadsheet for calculating how much tape will increase your angle. Since switching over to coticules and Jnat's this has helped me get more steel removed from a straight as I create a bevel and begin to progress.

I personally don't feel any difference in taping or not taping. Because I have a couple worked back straights I just go ahead and tape all of them. Now though I don't feel any difference I do notice that edges last longer. New razors that have come without being taped are great to later compare when I hone them again with a taped spine. This might vary between what the individual feels but I notice a greater difference in edge longevity not necessarily in shaving quality.

I've stopped taping any of my razors, and MAN does it make life easier.

Whenever I want to do a few strokes on my Nakayama to touch it up, I don't go to my drawer and pull out the 3M tape, I just pick up my Nakayama and do a few touchup strokes!

I don't think taping is bad, but I really don't think I'll ever go back, mostly because I just love the simplicity of no tape.

one layer of tape barely changes the angle of the bevel, so you will not be able to tell any difference in shave quality.
How many layers of tape you use does not depend on the size of the razor, but rather on the grind. People use more than one layer on heavy grinds such as wedges because that allows to create a bevel and hone with removing as little steel as possible, and saving time.
So tape or no tape is personal choice and does not affect the quality of shave.

Your problem with edges not smooth enough does not come from tape or no tape, it comes from your finishing technique IMO. Do you mind describing what finishing stone do you use and also your paste routine after the finisher?

Last edited:
Okay, I start with 1000 grit paper on glass, then 2000 grit paper, then I come off a 'fine' spyderco hone (flattened) to a balsa strop pasted with a metal polish, then the CrOx on the other side

I suppose if I got myself a finer stone it might work better, but to my eyes, after the polish and crOx, there doesn't appear to be much in the way of scratchmarks on the bevel (under 30x magnification). is this a hint that the razor is 'ready'?

I've not been able to test with a HHT, as I fear my hair is just too fine to achieve it consistantly, and I've cut myself way too many times to not be nervous about a tpt.

This is the big reason i have stopped tapign most razors. I always end up grabbing a razor and hitting the nakayama/barber hone/etc... and forgetting to tape it.

I've stopped taping any of my razors, and MAN does it make life easier.

Whenever I want to do a few strokes on my Nakayama to touch it up, I don't go to my drawer and pull out the 3M tape, I just pick up my Nakayama and do a few touchup strokes!

I don't think taping is bad, but I really don't think I'll ever go back, mostly because I just love the simplicity of no tape.

This is the big reason i have stopped tapign most razors. I always end up grabbing a razor and hitting the nakayama/barber hone/etc... and forgetting to tape it.

I keep a couple of rolls of tape in the same box I keep my stones. I like tape. I seem to get a better edge with it than without. It's obviously a technique thing, being new at this.

I actually have a roll of tape in the drawer with my razors... I just dont think about it until after the fact. arrrgh.

I keep a couple of rolls of tape in the same box I keep my stones. I like tape. I seem to get a better edge with it than without. It's obviously a technique thing, being new at this.

Ok, so, for those that tape any time metal touches stone - do you think this affects stropping at all, or does the flex and give of the material (leather, linen, etc) compensate for being slightly off the edge?

Ok, so, for those that tape any time metal touches stone - do you think this affects stropping at all, or does the flex and give of the material (leather, linen, etc) compensate for being slightly off the edge?

IMO the flex gives enough to wrap around. Some may let the strop give a little to compensate but I still hold it taught and have never noticed a change.

Nah, it's too small of a difference to matter

Top Bottom