What's new

Taping an edge to prevent spine wear.

Crazy thought here, has anyone tried to tape their edges to protect them while working out wonky spine issues on those Gold Dollars or other razors with deformed spines? Maybe not necessary but it should work. It would change the angle to some degree depending on the amount of work needed.

Alex

Alex,

I have used tape alot on razors that have issues, i normally put one layer of super 88 on and go to work and change the tape frequently than when it's right I set the final bevel without tape and hone normally, i am no angle guru but from my limited research those that study those angles say one layer of tape does not change the angle that much.

All the razors I have I pretty much hone without tape but there are a few that have worked spines and or goldwash and I have used one layer of tape from day one on those.

For me it was never about the spine... i looked at the spine before I started any work on it... if it wasn't right I just tossed it... it was more of a heel problem

Yep, if there is a little spine correction to do, it makes perfect sense to tape the edge. Like Heeso, if its really whacked out, I don't bother. These become franken razor experiments. LOL

i am no angle guru but from my limited research those that study those angles say one layer of tape does not change the angle that much.

Approximately .5 degree on each side or 1 degree total per layer of tape, depending on the razor width. Lager razors change less, smaller razors more. My feeling is that wonky spines get less wonky with some hone wear. On GDs I've even taped the edge to isolate and wear the spine straighter and more narrow.

Alex,

I have used tape alot on razors that have issues, i normally put one layer of super 88 on and go to work and change the tape frequently than when it's right I set the final bevel without tape and hone normally, i am no angle guru but from my limited research those that study those angles say one layer of tape does not change the angle that much.

All the razors I have I pretty much hone without tape but there are a few that have worked spines and or goldwash and I have used one layer of tape from day one on those.

I think you mis-understood the question, Alex is asking about taping the EDGE, not the spine. I'm guessing also, that most razors that have worked spines or fancy goldwash won't need a lot of spine grinding to get them honed.

I think you mis-understood the question, Alex is asking about taping the EDGE, not the spine. I'm guessing also, that most razors that have worked spines or fancy goldwash won't need a lot of spine grinding to get them honed.

Your right, I need to pay more attention :blink: the reason I tape is if it ever came to resale down the line those razors would have no spine wear plus i don't want the thin line to disrupt the nice spine.

My feeling is that wonky spines get less wonky with some hone wear. On GDs I've even taped the edge to isolate and wear the spine straighter and more narrow.

I missed that in the OP also, but yeah as my post say's, I've taped a few edges.

I missed that in the OP also, but yeah as my post say's, I've taped a few edges.

I have done this on a GD I was working on where the angle was too obtuse for my liking. I thinned down the spine to my target width, then removed the tape and set the bevel. I'm pretty sure that you gave me this idea.

Top Bottom