What's new

Tape with pasted paddle strop?

I have a hard paddle strop with paste to freshen up my razor. I am fairly certain my razor was honed with tape - there was tape residue on the spine when I got it. Do I need to put tape on the spine when using the pasted strop? Any other considerations? Picture of the strop below.
20200102_135644.jpg

My Koraat was honed with tape too. I dont use tape when I put it on a paddle strop.
In fact I dispensed with tape when I honed it on 1 micron film. I took care to ensure that
I was reaching the complete edge. But the bevel on Koraats is pretty small so it seems to have worked for
me. I don't like the idea of honing with tape. People do it just because they have a fancy engraved spine.

I'm not entirely happy that it was honed with tape. It wasn't exactly shave ready when it showed up either, but my two attempts thus far to touch up the edge on the strop haven't made it any better. It's a firm paddle strop with no give. I think if it was a hanging, felted or loom strop it'd be better.

I might as well try tape and see if I get better results so I can continue to shave with a SR until I get the one coming from Whipped Dog. After that I can send the razor in question to get honed and ask for the bevel to be reset without tape so I don't have to worry about it.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It's hard to tell from the photo but your pasted strop appears to be a little soft, not hard. As such, when stopping on your pasted strop, the strop will have some "give" in it and will likely work on the full width of the bevel. This will tent to make each side of the bevel a little convex.

I feel that taping the spine before using the pasted strop is not required. Just strop it without tape and get it honed later when it is needed to reset the bevel.

I'm not entirely happy that it was honed with tape. It wasn't exactly shave ready when it showed up either, but my two attempts thus far to touch up the edge on the strop haven't made it any better. It's a firm paddle strop with no give. I think if it was a hanging, felted or loom strop it'd be better.

I might as well try tape and see if I get better results so I can continue to shave with a SR until I get the one coming from Whipped Dog. After that I can send the razor in question to get honed and ask for the bevel to be reset without tape so I don't have to worry about it.

I was told by Mr Koraat that if I wanted to definitively wean myself off tape, I should go back to a low grit 3K
or so stone and reset the bevel...but kill the edge before by dragging it across the rim of a glass. I wasn't;t ready to do
that so early...and then got lucky honing it without tape...so Im sticking with it for now.

But Im fully prepared to go back and set the bevel if I have to.

Top Bottom