What's new

Tape question

Hello everyone
Hope everything is going well
Without getting into the tape vs no tape debate ( that will probably never be decided in this milenia), I’m wondering what kind of tape is used for those that use? I’ve been using electrical tape and it leaves a residue line on the razor that is quite difficult to get off. The line is not totally obvious, but from certain angles it is.
for those that use tape , is this normal? What kind of tape should I be using?
thanks in advance to all

I'm using Utilitech 8.5ml electrical tape from Lowes. It's close to the same thickness as 3M Super 88, but I find the adhesive is easier to rub off than the Super 88 adhesive. It also is pretty tough, and fairly resistant to rubbing through and needing to be retaped in the middle of honing.

Some people are using Lapton tape from 3M. It’s thinner than electrical tape and doesn’t leave residue on the blade from what I’ve been told.

How long are you leaving the tape on for? I have never had an issue with electrical tape leaving a residue on anything unless it was left on for months at a time

I take it off immediately after my honing session
I usually take my razors from the stones until final stropping and take tape off and immediately dry it.
I’m thinking it must be something in the tape as it seems nobody else has this problem.
it is 3m 35 tape purchased from the orange borg.

I have a trick I use with the tape after it is removed. Usually on wedges though. I roll that piece sticky side out around my finger so the tape sticks to itself. Then quickly and carefully push and pull the tape over the residue spots pulling the residue off.

I used gorilla tape. If I remember correctly, it measured at the same as electrical-.007”. The glue did not break down on the stones like electrical does and the tape did not abrade away.

Ulrik from Koraat Razors uses Tesa Extreme Cloth Tape.
I bought it to refresh my Koraat but that hasn’t been necessary so far

Also I don't always use tape, but kapton tape is nice if you are just trying to protect the spine. Thin, but strong and leaves no residue. It all depends on the razor being honed and what I need or like.

I use either Kapton, or Tesa.

As mentioned, use the sticky side of the tape to remove the residue from the razor. Alternatively, you can try an adhesive remover, but frankly I think simple acetone will suffice (something like a nail polish remover).

Scotch (3M) 700 which is a bit more abrasion resistant than the Super 33+ but runs the same thickness. As mentioned by @Doc226 and @rideon66, use the freshly removed tape to lift up any leftover adhesive residue.

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’m using 1 mil Kapton, the silicone adhesive doesn’t leave residue.

With electrical tape, which I occasionally use as needed, I think the adhesive transfers more easily when the tape gets old. The adhesive seems to get kind of ‘gooey’. Try a fresh roll of tape from Lowe’s or Home Depot, their turnover should be high enough that the tape doesn’t get very old.

As Alfredo pointed out, you can use the just-removed tape to lift leftover spots.

I use 3M Super 88, Super 33, mostly though I use 3M Temflex 1700. The residue comes up easy by using the tape I pulled off the spine to lift it. Just dabbing at it takes it right up. Otherwise, I'd consider a simple solvent, naphtha for example.

Thanks everyone. I ordered the Kapton tape and the 700 series tape from 3m.
Ill see how this goes.
thanks
Joe

Top Bottom