What's new

Tape on spine? Newbie question

In my shop with my own hollow ground razors I tape 9 out of 10 spines with Kapton tape. With wedge razors I tape 10 out of 10 with enough electrical tape (e-t) to prevent the bevel from widening beyond the existing width of the bevel, and I cover the e-t with a layer of Kapton to prevent the degradation of the e-t. Using e-t for the lift factor and Kapton for the protection of the e-tape and or the bare spine whichever is directly underneath the Kapton.

I do this to protect the spine which cannot, if I am not mistaken, be regenerated. The bevel can always be reground and the spine can always be thinned by grinding but you cannot replace steel at either end. If spine ware precedes edge wear you are sunk, but if edge wear precedes spine wear it can be rectified the balance between them by thinning the spine.

Ideally the edge and the spine are ground evenly at the same rate. I am not that skilled so I error on the side of caution. If I am honing someone else's razor I use K-tape and tell them that I will and that I did.

On a razor that I am having trouble developing a consistently keen edge I will use one layer of Kapton and touch the edge lightly with 3 strokes per side with mist of slurry or with water only on the stone, and then strop linen and leather. This micro bevel cannot be seen with a 5x loupe but it can with a 20x. No harm done and it beats going back to zero with bevel set, etc.

my 3cents,
Alx

Top Bottom